Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: OLD CODGERS THREAD  (Read 8748 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: OLD CODGERS THREAD
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2008, 12:56:08 AM »

Quote from: 971
A cuddle is much better than sex sometimes and you don't risk a coronary at our age ;D

How very true Dave! Fancy a bit then? I'm not fussy at my age. ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2008, 06:24:08 PM »

Quote from: 483

How very true Dave! Fancy a bit then? I'm not fussy at my age. ;D

But im a bit choosy BlueMeanie  ;D but im sure there are a few on here that would like to squeeze the life out of you  ;D ;)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »

Were any of you sixties kids into any of the following:
Airfix kits (they were the Holy Grail of my childhood).
Look and Learn magazine - the empire was still cool. Plenty of General Gordon and the fuzzywuzzies. When half the world was pink.
Commando Comics. Achtung! Spitfire. I loved these. Dirty Nazis, sneeky Japs  and cowardly Italians
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »

Blimey, I was just going to resurrect this thread. Airfix aircraft were in. I even remember Mecanno (sp?). I used to get a football comic called Shoot!, and Subbuteo was permanently set up in the bedroom.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2008, 12:09:24 PM »

Loved Mecanno. We had the real old metal one. But my older brother (by 5 yrs) built all these amazing things so I felt really insignificant. On a recent nostalgia TV show they said the makers put deliberate mistakes in the plans in order to challenge the childs ingenuity. They were the days.
Never got in to Subbeteo. We had Table Soccer - the players had round bases and you flicked the "ball" ( a flat disc) like tiddly winks.
My best Airfix memory is the Sunderland Flying Boat (lots of sticky-out bits) and the P51 (?) Lightening. They all got blown to pieces on Guy Fawkes night though.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2008, 12:16:58 PM »

Our Mecanno was metal as well. I think it was my Dad's when he was a kid, so it would have been pre-war. I think it's still in my Mum's loft, probably worth a bit.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »

Quote from: 483
Our Mecanno was metal as well. I think it was my Dad's when he was a kid, so it would have been pre-war. I think it's still in my Mum's loft, probably worth a bit.

If it's complete and in it's box then it probably is.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »

Quote from: 185

If it's complete and in it's box then it probably is.

Ah well, I doubt that. Sadly. But my Action Men on the other hand...

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2008, 05:40:45 AM »

Encouraging news I'm going to cling to:

Older Brain Really May Be a Wiser Brain

By SARA REISTAD-LONG
Published: May 20, 2008

When older people can no longer remember names at a cocktail party, they tend to think that their brainpower is declining. But a growing number of studies suggest that this assumption is often wrong.

Instead, the research finds, the aging brain is simply taking in more data and trying to sift through a clutter of information, often to its long-term benefit.

The studies are analyzed in a new edition of a neurology book,

douglasleee

• One And One Is Two
  • One and One and One is Three.
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2008, 06:48:43 AM »

There's hope for us "ole Codgers" yet, wait, what was I doing ...... (where are my glasses???)  :o

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »

So I'm not a ditz, I have
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »

Quote from: 373
School in 1973 vs 2006

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1973 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his own rifle to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1973 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1973 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1973 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's Mom has affair with psychologist.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1973 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1973: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by state progressive political party. Newspaper articls appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1973 - Ants die.

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1973 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.

All in the name of progress!
^^^^^^I've seen this one before and it's a good one.  It's just so sad how our world changed from then to now.  Oh well...............I think "us" growing up in the '60's and '70's have become better adults than the "breed" growing up now............no offense intended to the youngters..........

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

Vaguely related to the above, as it concerns rearing children and just encapsulates for me the inability of Americans to "get it".

My American friend went to visit pals in Norway. They were on the edge of a huge fiord, and Norwegian kids were playing on the top of it. My friend said, "In America, we would put a safety rail around the edge to keep the kids from falling off it."

His Norwegian friend answered, "In Norway, we teach our children to keep away from the edge."

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »

That's rather simple isn't it? And an insulting blanket statement to boot. How you consistantly categorize an entire nation in such a negative way continues to astound me.

Also, does this person know anything about kids and how they play? Or how easy it is to make a mistake? It's lovely to have that attitude, but sorry it's a bit naive. Of course I'm an American, so I guess I just don't "get it."  ::)

BTW, there are many places left untouched in the States. The Grand Canyon only recently put up many of its safety rails. If it's a popular attraction, then it's smart to take preventive measures. People in general tend to do stupid things. I don't care what country they're from.

All things American are wrong. I must keep repeating that when I pop in here.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »

Quote from: 216
All things American are wrong.
I never said that. I've been trying to raise awareness that America is drifting from the values and principles upon which it was founded. In my mind, a lot of the current direction of the government is just bad judgment.

Did you read tkitna's list just above? If you did and you still think America is on the right track, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. But America felt like a great country when I was a nipper, and it was still pretty good during most of my working life. But it has increasingly become a litigious land of blockheads, and I am not going to take that lying down. We are better than that.

If you don't like reading my comments, please feel free to skip them or ignore me. Cheers.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »

I too wonder if it's possible whether the "next generation will always be better off than the last" paradigm is no longer operative here in the US (I live in San Antonio). I find it hard to know whether the feelings I often have that shout "Yes!" are valid, or instead perhaps simply trite, expected, and typical expressions of disapproval that the older generation has ALWAYS had regarding everything that came after their golden years ("When I was a kid ..."). Have you folks ever read that quote from some ancient Greek philosopher dude that complains about the ruinous path youth and society was on, guaranteed to result in the destruction of all that was good and civilized? (Actually, come to think of it, I guess the Greeks did kind of lose out in their defining struggles - maybe he was right!).

We're all in the same boat nowadays, and unfortunately it doesn't have a high-mileage engine. Most of us are unhappy with the direction of the country (at least the ones that answer pollsters are). My guess is that reading Harihead she loves this country no less than anyone, and sometimes it comes across a bit negative, but it's hard to always be happy like me, it just means your'e shallow. Anyway, Harihead, if you wear a flag pin, or talk about freeze-dried babies, it will all be OK  ;)

We love both you moderators  (inlove3) , remember - All You Need Is ... Cash!  ... , I mean Love!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »

Quote from: 551
I never said that. I've been trying to raise awareness that America is drifting from the values and principles upon which it was founded. In my mind, a lot of the current direction of the government is just bad judgment.

Did you read tkitna's list just above? If you did and you still think America is on the right track, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. But America felt like a great country when I was a nipper, and it was still pretty good during most of my working life. But it has increasingly become a litigious land of blockheads, and I am not going to take that lying down. We are better than that.

If you don't like reading my comments, please feel free to skip them or ignore me. Cheers.

I realize I came off a bit harsh, but that's what I was feeling at the time. Yes, I could have phrased it a lot nicer, but is that the way people always are? We're human and therefore moody. Well, I know I can be.  That used to be more tolerated around here I think. But that's another issue.

Anyway, I get what you're saying. I really do. But I can't help but be offended when you put down the majority of the American population. I agree with MOST of what you say, but I think sometimes it would be nice to preface it with, many or not all or some. I don't know. I think most people are pretty decent myself, but again I get where you're coming from. I don't want to block or ignore you, but I'll try not to respond in the future unless it's to agree or have fun. Again, sorry for being touchy. Maybe it's the East coast thing. We're not always subtle. I'm cutting way back on my posting too, so I'll try to just stick to topics that are less explosive.

Peace?  :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2008, 12:42:39 AM »

Quote from: 568
I too wonder if it's possible whether the "next generation will always be better off than the last" paradigm is no longer operative here in the US (I live in San Antonio). I find it hard to know whether the feelings I often have that shout "Yes!" are valid, or instead perhaps simply trite, expected, and typical expressions of disapproval that the older generation has ALWAYS had regarding everything that came after their golden years ("When I was a kid ..."). Have you folks ever read that quote from some ancient Greek philosopher dude that complains about the ruinous path youth and society was on, guaranteed to result in the destruction of all that was good and civilized? (Actually, come to think of it, I guess the Greeks did kind of lose out in their defining struggles - maybe he was right!).

We're all in the same boat nowadays, and unfortunately it doesn't have a high-mileage engine. Most of us are unhappy with the direction of the country (at least the ones that answer pollsters are). My guess is that reading Harihead she loves this country no less than anyone, and sometimes it comes across a bit negative, but it's hard to always be happy like me, it just means your'e shallow. Anyway, Harihead, if you wear a flag pin, or talk about freeze-dried babies, it will all be OK  ;)

We love both you moderators  (inlove3) , remember - All You Need Is ... Cash!  ... , I mean Love!

Can I blame my outburst on PMS or some other womanly issue? Or would that be a cop out? I'm eating chocolate as we speak, so that should take care of my awful mood swings! It's hell being a girl!   ;)

Or I could blame it on being Italian! You know, hot blooded and all!

Nah, I'll just take responsibility and admit I was out of line.  :B

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2008, 04:10:39 AM »

Here's David Brooks, I don't often agree with him, but I think he's pretty much got it down in this one, unfortunately.

By DAVID BROOKS
Published: June 10, 2008 New York Times

The people who created this country built a moral structure around money. The Puritan legacy inhibited luxury and self-indulgence. Benjamin Franklin spread a practical gospel that emphasized hard work, temperance and frugality. Millions of parents, preachers, newspaper editors and teachers expounded the message. The result was quite remarkable.

Over the past 30 years, much of that has been shredded. The social norms and institutions that encouraged frugality and spending what you earn have been undermined. The institutions that encourage debt and living for the moment have been strengthened. The country
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2008, 04:37:48 AM »

I think it's best for me to refrain from any political talk from now on and I couldn't possibly explain my point of view without going on for pages and pages anyway. I don't have the energy for it. So I'll just leave it at this:

It's not that simple, it's not that black and white, and over generalizations of ANY kind are just plain wrong. It's only when it's towards people from a certain country that it seems to be acceptable by people now a days. And that right there should be questioned. It's just wrong. Recently a generalization was made about English people on this very site. A very mild one at that. It was met with MUCH offense and hostility. And rightfully so. Why am I wrong to feel the same sort of offense when I'm put under an umbrella of stupidity and low morals? I'll move on now. I know I'm already in bad standing as it is. Again, I apologize for any rudeness on my part. But I'll say it again, that's reality. If you're going to discuss touchy issues, sometimes people will react in touchy ways. Be it right or wrong or just plain human. Discussion is healthy, but isn't always pretty. If it is, then it isn't honest. I guess we're becoming too used to living in an overly PC world.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 83 queries.