Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Any one here MET a Beatle?  (Read 5078 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Any one here MET a Beatle?
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »

I mean, more than just attend a show.

Tell us about it please!

P.S. Sorry for the double post - delete key isn't working!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Any one here MET a Beatle?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:20:41 PM »

My dad has a friend who met Macca around 96-97.
Apparently he gave him a guided tour around his town studio in sussex (?) :-/,
the one with his elvis double bass in!
He was in a group at the time & Macca ask them to play at a christmas party & he got
friendly with the guys. He said that Macca was an amazing lovely warm-hearted guy & he dosen't
believe any of these horrible accusations made by the press or heather mills about him
being violent. Of course, i'm very jealous that it was him & not me! >:( ;D
I tend to tell people & they say, 'yeah right, whatever'. Yes, they don't believe me. :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:59 PM »

My dad met Paul in the '70s. He (my dad- not Paul!) was hitchhiking in Scotland, near Paul's farm and Paul gave him a lift. I asked dad what they talked about and he said the weather. Pfff! I can't believe it. Meeting Paul McCartney and talking about the weather.  
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:51:02 PM »

Wow Mairi!! Your dad must be proud of meeting a beatle! he didn't get his autograph then?
just a chat on weather conditions :-/ ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:15:21 PM »

I met Pete Best...  :-/

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:10:49 AM »

Al met Macca at a book signing. That was a story well told.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »

Quote from: 218
My dad met Paul in the '70s. He (my dad- not Paul!) was hitchhiking in Scotland, near Paul's farm and Paul gave him a lift. I asked dad what they talked about and he said the weather. Pfff! I can't believe it. Meeting Paul McCartney and talking about the weather.  

Well,,, What could two Englishmen (I presume your dad is Englishman) in England / Scotland could talk about then the weather? :-)
I don't know what I would talk with Paul if I met him... 'Bout girls...? :-)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 11:09:36 AM »

Quote from: 298

I would talk about boys yea yea boys... (musicnotes)

Never met 'em (too young) ... not even in me dreamies...

Quote from: 668
I met Pete Best...  :-/

Why are we "undecided"?

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »

Quote from: 298

Well,,, What could two Englishmen (I presume your dad is Englishman) in England / Scotland could talk about then the weather? :-)

My dad is Scottish, but yeah, he loves talking about the weather! Ha ha! (grin)
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 04:02:11 PM »

Quote from: 218

LOL! Mairi, your story reminds me of my brother-in-law, who met Elijah Wood (Frodo)'s cousin while golfing. This was before the third movie came out. I was staying at my sister's place in Iowa, and her hubby comes home all pleased with himself. "I was just golfing with Elijah Wood's cousin!"
So we got all excited and said, "What about the third movie? What's going on in New Zealand?" yadda yadda. He said he didn't talk about any of that.
"Well, what did you talk about?" we asked.
"Golf!"
 ;D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »

No first hand replies yet ... but I want to hear about Al at the Book signing!  (Paul has a book?)

My closest brush with a Beatle was drinking a beer with some dude who said he hung out with John Lennon at Liverpool Art College in the 50s. It was at Ye Cracke, the pub across the street. He looked about the right age, and I was very happy to buy him a beer ... he might have been actually telling the truth!

I used wander the streets of Greenwich Village in the 70's, always with an eye out for John ... little knowing all I had to do was go to the Upper West Side. Part of the pain for me of December 8, 1980 was knowing that there wasn't ever going to be a chance to run into him ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 11:21:02 PM »

Quote from: 568
No first hand replies yet ... but I want to hear about Al at the Book signing!  (Paul has a book?)

Ahhh, your right. I had a brain fart. It was a DVD signing and not a book. Anyways, it took me awhile, but heres the link to the story.

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-news/m-1164291233/s-0/

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 12:15:47 AM »

Great read, thanks tkitna!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 01:44:06 AM »

No problem.

Ringo Starr wore my hat at a concert once. Thats the closest i've ever come to meeting a Beatle.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 01:48:30 AM »

Quote from: 373
No problem.

Ringo Starr wore my hat at a concert once. Thats the closest i've ever come to meeting a Beatle.

Hey, well do tell!!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 03:00:44 AM »

Not much to tell. I took the wife to a Ringo concert for her birthday and we had front row center seats. I threw my hat onstage and Ringo wore it while singing 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and then discarded it. I was p*ssed I didnt get it back. it was a nice hat.

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 03:46:22 AM »

I met Paul in December 2005 at a book signing he did in london for High In the Clouds.

This is the original post I made to the forum I was posting on at the time when I returned

Well I'm back and this is how it happened.

When i arrived at 11.30am we were told to join a queue of other blue writband holders. They had also handed out some yellow wristbands and we were told that the blues would definately meet Paul but the yellows would get a signed book but would only meet him if there was time.

Security was really tough. There were police outside the store. We we not allowed to take anything into the signing and had leave coats,cameras,mobiles etc on a seperate floor. After leaving this stuff we then had to turn out our pockets to check we didnt have anything that might harm paul in them. I was a bit disappointed about the camera thing. I understood that it would be very time consuming for everyone to have a picture posing with Paul but i didnt see the problem of taking photos of him. Never mind.

We were then ushered to another floor and held there after buying our books. they were limited to one per person. At around 12:45 fans were sent in to meet Paul in groups of 20.

After the first few Paul decided that he wanted to sign all the books first so he could talk to people without having his head in a book signing it. The watersones staff then collected everybodys books up and took them into Paul for signing. There was then another huge delay while he did this. At around 1.30 it was my turn to be sent into the room Paul was in. We were then told that this was a timed event and they wanted everyone to get to meet him so they said "its not  In conversation with Paul McCartney so dont tell him you've been a Beatles fan since 1964,he knows youre all fans,just shake his hand say hi and move along"

As we approached his table another security person told us not to approach paul with our hands in our pockets (guns i guess).Anyone that goes to get anything out of their pocket will be removed from the store immediately.At this point I got my "Chaos" cd booklet that i was hoping he would sign out of my pocket and held it in my hand (so i didnt have to get it out of my pocket in front of him).This was then spotted my one of the security people and this was taken off me and i had to collect it afterwards.

I was now 3 from the front and I could see Paul closer than I had ever been before.Paul was sitting at a table with the books and he had a plate of toast and jam (jelly to you lot).The person in front of me (who was American) had a small child with him and Paul asked him if he wanted some "jammy toast" (the child not the bloke).He spoke to them with toast in his mouth which i though was quite funny.Finally I reached the front.After 30 years of being a fan, I was actually about to have a one to one with Paul McCartney.

PM: Hello (offers hand and we shake...OMFG)

ML: Hi Paul, it's really nice to meet you

PM: It's nice to meet you too

ML: How was the U.S ?

PM:Really great, we had a fantastic time.

ML: Are you bringing the tour here next year?

PM: We dunno yet. We've just got back so we're having a bit of a break but hopefully.

At this point a security bloke is starting to usher me away

ML: Thanks very much and have a great christmas

PM:You have a good one too and thanks for coming.

And with that I was gone.

Very brief but this afternoon I have achieved one of my lifes ambitions and I guess not many people get to do that on a Wednesday. The event was being filmed (probably for the news) so he had make up on and consequently looked great.Its a real shame that I couldnt get any photos and i am truely gutted about that but the 14th December 2005 will always be etched in my memory as the day I met Paul McCartney.

I would once again like to thank Beatlebangs1964 for alerting me to this event.Without that I wouldnt have got to do this.Mention in dispatches to LennonLover2005 and everyone else on here that kept their fingers crossed tighter than a virgins legs that i would get the wristband.

As I caught the tube back to work afterwards, I wondered if an opportunity like this would ever present itself again. Probably not?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 05:09:11 AM »

Very cool story maccalennon!

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 07:31:48 AM »

Thanks for sharing it here Tony.

The walrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 09:34:10 AM »

wow did you really meet paul? :o thats so cool maccalennon! you're so lucky! ;D I wish I met Paul but I'd be speechles, i'm positive and my jaw would drop to the ground and stay there haha so good on ya. wow!
&quot;We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.&quot; <br />- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 1.44 seconds with 87 queries.