Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Screaming  (Read 5176 times)

mysterymagic

• One And One Is Two
Re: Screaming
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »

Great pic lol!

The screaming is insane.  It's like George said on the anthology doc, the Beatles were peoples excuse to go mad.  The years it was happening self expression was non existant and everyone was expected to act very straight laced.  So here was an outlet for people to lose there heads and get away with it...at the beatles expense.  Being able to scream like that back then would probably have felt pretty liberating.

I love the clip on VH1 Classic where they ask Bob Geldof what he remembers about Beatlemania and he says the smell of p*ss LOL!  All these girls would get so wound up when they appeared on stage that they would faint and immediatly p*ss themselves.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 11:42:09 PM »

That pic is classic, I love it!

The smell of p*ss... wowsers!
<br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 08:29:57 PM »

LOL! Perfect pic, HG!

Nice historical reflection, Kevin and BM. I have to say that _I_ got interested in the Beatles because of Beatlemania. It was just so _weird_. So I kept looking into it and fell in love with the boys along the way.

I think the screaming is a candidate for one of Dawkins' "mind viruses". It's like the phenomenon when suddenly every teenage boy in the country was wearing his baseball cap backwards. There was no memo; they all just did it. Same thing with the screaming. You'd get the stories of these girls, and they'd say (I'm paraphrasing one I remember in particular): "It was my first concert and I wasn't sure what to do. And everyone around me was screaming so I just assumed that's what you did." I don't think they were crazy; I think it's part of that peer-pressure/example/fad thing. Here are the Beatles, you scream.

Yeah, fans were annoyed even at the time that they couldn't hear the band. But the screamers made the phenomenon, as Kevin said. I wonder if this was their equivalent of MySpace-- show up being a hysterical, screaming fan, and there you are, out in all the papers. You're a contender!

Quote from: 1300
i dont know if this is true, as my dad told me this, but he says that sometimes, on stage, they would just stop singing and mouth the words because they knew no one could hear it anyway. does anyone have any fact to back this up, or is my dad delusional? (which is probably true either way.....)
I believe John said they did this, but he might have been lying. At other times he said they really did sing, so you can choose. Still, I think it was discouraging to all of them except Paul (who I think was having a whale of a time regardless) that they couldn't be heard. They were quite enthusiastic after they played Atlanta with its new good sound system. If all the concerts could have had the good sound, I think they mightn't have tired of touring so quickly.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »

Quote from: 551
"It was my first concert and I wasn't sure what to do. And everyone around me was screaming so I just assumed that's what you did." I don't think they were crazy; I think it's part of that peer-pressure/example/fad thing. Here are the Beatles, you scream.

It's akin to a mob mentality. One starts, everyone follows. It's how riots gain momentum. Remember those clips from old western movies? A barroom brawl starts off with two people shoving each other, and before you know it the whole bar is a war zone.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 11:46:47 PM »

Been in a couple of those bar fights myself....

Alcohol can be an evil drug  ::)
<br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 02:32:54 AM »

Quote from: 483
It's akin to a mob mentality.
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to mob mentality. I mean, it fascinates me, but I don't understand it in the least. I can be the one person standing there while everyone else is going insane, saying, "What's up, dudes?"

And you remember the proverb: "He who keeps his head while all others are losing theirs is inhibited." ;D

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 01:39:55 AM »

Well, I think -and this is just me personally- that it was a way for girls to release sexual tension. I mean, think about it, teenage girls were very repressed at that time and they were supposed to be coy and "hard to get". I think screaming at a Beatles concert was just a way of letting loose. You never saw young guys screaming at, oh, I dunno- Brigitte Bardot.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

douglasleee

• One And One Is Two
  • One and One and One is Three.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 01:55:17 AM »

Quote from: 218
You never saw young guys screaming at, oh, I dunno- Brigitte Bardot.

I think the guys in Paris 1963/4 kind of "freaked" the Beatles a little.
(more guys than girls plus the guys yelling "Beatles".)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 03:02:28 AM »

Heh! Good point.

So what was up with those French kids? Were they unisexual screamers, males releasing sexual tension, or was it just the "cool" fan thing to do?

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »

Quote from: 1349
Great pic lol!

The screaming is insane.  It's like George said on the anthology doc, the Beatles were peoples excuse to go mad.  The years it was happening self expression was non existant and everyone was expected to act very straight laced.  So here was an outlet for people to lose there heads and get away with it...at the beatles expense.  Being able to scream like that back then would probably have felt pretty liberating.

I love the clip on VH1 Classic where they ask Bob Geldof what he remembers about Beatlemania and he says the smell of p*ss LOL!  All these girls would get so wound up when they appeared on stage that they would faint and immediatly p*ss themselves.

That's the way to remember The Beatles!

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

ringostarr1983

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 12:51:36 AM »

note there was no screaming when the beatles played some other guy on the anthology
<br />&quot;Its me active compensation factor is the reason I play the drums.&quot;

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »

Quote from: 218
You never saw young guys screaming at, oh, I dunno- Brigitte Bardot.

Being sexually attracted to performers is definately a girl thing. BB would get the same response from guys whether she was a superstar or the lady that cleaned the toilets. Conversley, no amount of good tunes is going to make Nana Maskouri attractive.
Every guy that picks up a guitar knows the chances of himself getting laid just went through the roof. I don't know many guys whose sexual opinion of a woman would change just because she pulled out a six string.
Maybe too guys don't get "pent up" the way girls do. We have a quick release system far more efficent than your convaluted (and frankly overly labour intensive) method.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »

Quote from: 185
no amount of good tunes is going to make Nana Maskouri attractive.

What are you saying!??

Quote from: 1373
note there was no screaming when the beatles played some other guy on the anthology

That was in late 1962 before Beatlemania kicked in.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »

Though Pete Best said some screaming took place as early as 1960.

Still, what with the TV cameras, and possibly being a lunch time crowd with "older"  "working" girls there, maybe it wasn't a good setup for a scream fest.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »

I'M GUILTY! I was listening to my Anthology CDs, like usual, but on comes I Saw Her Standing There, and I started screaming! My friend was with me, and she laughed at me.

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 08:47:49 PM »

Quote from: 1301
I'M GUILTY! I was listening to my Anthology CDs, like usual, but on comes I Saw Her Standing There, and I started screaming! My friend was with me, and she laughed at me.

yep, there's defintly something about them!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:45 PM »

When watching footage I don't scream but I find myself tearing up alot.  :o
In a good way though!
<br />

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:57 PM »

The screaming was the most obvious manifestation of the hysteria the Beatles created. If you didn't have the screaming you wouldn't have had the hysteria, and no hysteria would have meant only a fraction of the attention the band attracted. They would be remembered as just another good band with good tunes, nothing more. The whole course of their history would change.
The screaming wasn't just an unfortunate consequence of Mania-era Beatles. It was The Beatles.
^^^^^I agree with you totally on that.  If it weren't for the screaming, the hysteria.......there would be no Beatles as we know them today.
As Greg Lake, from ELP told Ringo Starr when Ringo called him a couple of years ago to be in his All Star band, "I was in a successful rock group.  Ringo was in a group that changed the world!"  Enough said....

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 12:29:51 AM »

So today, the song All My Loving was on the radio, but I wasn't listening cuz I was n my piano playing All My Loving, (weird, huh?) and my daddy calls me and told me All My Loving was on. I hung up on my daddy, dropped the phone, ran to my radio, got rug burn on my feet and all through that, I was screaming my head off. Unfortunately, my radio wasn't tuning fast enough, so I missed it. But I was still screaming a lot! I find myself screaming a lot...

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 08:32:46 PM »

Being sexually attracted to performers is definately a girl thing. BB would get the same response from guys whether she was a superstar or the lady that cleaned the toilets. Conversley, no amount of good tunes is going to make Nana Maskouri attractive.
Every guy that picks up a guitar knows the chances of himself getting laid just went through the roof. I don't know many guys whose sexual opinion of a woman would change just because she pulled out a six string.
Maybe too guys don't get "pent up" the way girls do. We have a quick release system far more efficent than your convaluted (and frankly overly labour intensive) method.

Haha, so true. As for women being attracted to ugly rock stars, it's just biology. To make a sweeping generalisation, men like beauty and women like money and power. It all goes back to the cavemen days when men were looking for someone to breed with and women were looking for providers.

How else do you explain Iggy Pop getting groupies???
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.671 seconds with 87 queries.