Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chapter 27  (Read 4633 times)

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
Re: Chapter 27
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 02:07:50 AM »

I didn't think John was being acted out at all. I thought it was just clips of him. Maybe I saw a different trailer .
I actually want to see this movie, I don't think it's glorifying Chapman I think it's trying to tie loose ends as to why he did it.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 02:11:21 AM »

GOD this p*sses me off LINDSAY LOHAN. COME ON.
WE WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE HER!!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 03:51:43 AM »

Quote from: 483
I haven't seen this movie, but some of the comments here leave me perplexed. Are you slamming it because it's a poor movie (which by all accounts it is), or because it's about the murderer of John Lennon? It appears to be the latter. Would you all be so angry if this was a made for TV documentary on Discovery? There is no reason why a film about Mark Chapman should not be made, just because he murdered one of your hero's.

Raise your hand if you've never seen a movie about any of these:

Ted Bundy
John Wayne Gacy
Charles Manson
Jeffrey Dahmer
David Berkowitz
The Boston Strangler
Bonnie & Clyde
Billy The Kid
Jack The Ripper
Lee Harvey Oswald/Jack Ruby

These were all real killers, and they killed real people too! But with the exception of Lee Harvey Oswald/Jack Ruby, they killed ordinary people, people we've never heard of. So is it OK to make a movie about them? Those people didn't matter so much? They were all someone's father, mother, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, just like Lennon.

So this is a bad movie because someone dared to make one about the death of your hero?

To clarify, this movie is a fictionalized account based on some fact. It does glorify Chapman because it tries to humanize him through his encounter with some fictional fan he meets outside the Dakota. At least from what I've read, that's the case. So that alone makes me weary. That and the fact that it sound poorly done.

I have nothing against such films and yes, I've seen films about some of those you mentioned. I've also seen movies about the Holocaust and other horrific events created and carried out by man. I'm forever trying to figure out what drives men to such lengths. It disturbs me that there really is not rhyme or reason. It just seems to be pure evil or insanity.

I would be less inclined to put this movie on because, yes, it has to do John Lennon's murder. I remember it all too clearly and obviously it affected people on a very intense level. I cannot even begin to explain why. Maybe because he represented certain things coming to an end, maybe people saw him grow up and felt attached, maybe his music touched people so profoundly that losing him was losing a part of themselves? I have no idea. It is fascinating though. Maybe I'd watch this movie if it came on cable. I don't know. This guy, like the Son of Sam, WANT recognition. They want to be famous. That annoys me too. Why should they be sitting in their cells feeling accomplished? They're also prolific liars and any film based on THEIR words is bound to be full of inaccuracies. That bugs me too. Now I feel like I'm rambling, but whatever. Oh, and Lindsey Lohan being in it doesn't help. Not a big fan.

Really though, I'd like to see a movie on Lennon's life. Something accurate. Something WELL DONE. With both the good and the bad. And yes, including his death. I think he was a fascinating human being whose image has been distorted. Another movie about his death (crucifixion) won't help people remember he was an actual human being.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 09:44:08 AM »

Quote from: 216
To clarify, this movie is a fictionalized account based on some fact. It does glorify Chapman because it tries to humanize him through his encounter with some fictional fan he meets outside the Dakota. At least from what I've read, that's the case. So that alone makes me weary. That and the fact that it sound poorly done.

I don't really want to get into all this again, but according to the account that I've read - Let Me Take You Down by Jack Jones - he dod befriend a young woman outside the Dakota a few days before the killing. Of course, I have no idea if it's an accurate account.

Quote from: 216
Really though, I'd like to see a movie on Lennon's life. Something accurate. Something WELL DONE. With both the good and the bad. And yes, including his death. I think he was a fascinating human being whose image has been distorted. Another movie about his death (crucifixion) won't help people remember he was an actual human being.

How do you judge what's accurate? We have Cynthia's account of things, May Pang's, and Yoko's. And we know how Yoko seems to come up with new 'facts' each time she's interviewed. Maybe it could just be more sympathetic towards him?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »

NOT ACCURATE: "John was a saint"
ACCURATE: "John was a human being"
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »

Quote from: 483

I don't really want to get into all this again, but according to the account that I've read - Let Me Take You Down by Jack Jones - he dod befriend a young woman outside the Dakota a few days before the killing. Of course, I have no idea if it's an accurate account.

How do you judge what's accurate? We have Cynthia's account of things, May Pang's, and Yoko's. And we know how Yoko seems to come up with new 'facts' each time she's interviewed. Maybe it could just be more sympathetic towards him?
Aww, come on. I think you know what I mean. Semantics.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »

I can't summon any interest at all in this film.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »

what? some one made a film premoting mark chapmann?!?!? thats a terrible and sick-minded thing! we all are sposed to miss john lennon, and not his killer who remains behind bars(his rightful spot)
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »

omg people it aint setting out to promote anything it as a movie, showing the days leading up to the murder of John Lennon, if people see it as promotion then thats down to them.

there been plenty movies made of days leading up to famous peoples deaths and there will be plenty more, and im sure you have watched them and not batted an eyelid and now because its John Lennon its suddenly all wrong and distasteful.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »

exactly I care about that John Lennon was killed but not that they're making a movie about it. It's no big deal, if you don't want to see don't if you do then great :) I do because I want to know what went on in Mark Chapman's messed up mind.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 10:16:01 PM »

Have people read about anything to do with the making of this movie? People not liking it has more to do with how poorly it was done and less to do with it being about Lennon's killer. The director tends to speculate as to what went on in this guys head. It's a fictionalized account of those three days. Where's the truth? It's probably hard to know. You'd be better off watching documentaries or reading old news articles if you want some insight into what went on in those few days. Which is easily done. It's extensively documented. I think you'll find that this guy is a narcissistic liar who identified and obsessed about some famous guy to the point of insanity. He knew the only way he'd ever be anything was to kill him. Read about stalkers if you want to know his state of mind. But really, it will never make sense because there is no sense to it. Some people are just damaged.

I think it's interesting that the director wants to TRY to understand and make sense of why this happened and that's what he's attempting. But really, what's the point. We could all speculate and come up with different things. I don't think it's possible to understand "why."

I don't care that they make a movie about this, but this one's got too much negative baggage to it for me to take it seriously. That's all I'm saying. And it should be taken with a huge grain of salt for those thinking it's accurate. And yes there is a difference when they make a movie on a historical figure and a pop star. The tendency towards sensationalism when making a movie about people like Lennon is much stronger than when making a movie about someone like, say, John Adams. Look at that horrible Doors movie from a few years back. Almost complete fiction.

BTW, I'm only just discussing this as this IS a discussion forum. I'm not trying to annoy anybody just trying to actually use the forum as intended. Debate and discussion. Right? Different points of view and all. Makes it interesting. No?

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 01:01:09 AM »

I agree

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 02:33:10 AM »

I haven't seen this film, but it strikes me that it would be enormously difficult to make a dramatically effective story out of any part of the life of Mark David Chapman. I know little about the man, but the bits I have read suggest that he was of an extraordinarily banal type: an isolated, self-absorbed obsessive with not much of a life. A human failure, in other words, whose sole claim to our attention is the fact that he murdered John Lennon to suit some internal logic perceivable only to himself. There is no inherent drama in this, and all you can do with it is simply exploit the pathos of Lennon's murder, or the fears of the audience, or use it as an excuse to moralize like a TV documentary journalist on the evening news about the lack of adequate "help'' for such people before they explode.

The opening of the synopsis at Rotten Tomatoes reads:

What went on in the mind of the man who felt compelled to assassinate John Lennon? Chapter 27 deftly pilots us into the dark psyche of Mark David Chapman the weekend before the December 8, 1980, shooting. Inspired by Chapman's recollections, and propelled by a haunting, tour-de-force...

This is all dreadful cliche: "dark psyche," "haunting, tour-de-force." I simply can't imagine anyone making something decent after having started with a premise like this. Exploitation, both of John and the film's audience, is all I'd expect.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 04:23:45 AM »

Quote from: 758
omg people it aint setting out to promote anything it as a movie, showing the days leading up to the murder of John Lennon, if people see it as promotion then thats down to them.

there been plenty movies made of days leading up to famous peoples deaths and there will be plenty more, and im sure you have watched them and not batted an eyelid and now because its John Lennon its suddenly all wrong and distasteful.

Hallelujah! Well said mate.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »

for those who use torrents and still havent seen thsi yet theres a dvd rip on www.bitsoup.org

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »

hey why in your signature is paul playing right handed

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:44 PM »

Quote from: 977
hey why in your signature is paul playing right handed

when i made they were all facing the same direction as ringo and john, so i had to mirror paul so he could face into john like he was sharing a mic and also the same with george so he was facing in to ringo and the others, so george is playing lefty aswell as paul playing righty

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 09:20:56 PM »

Movie review From The New York Times:

Tracking An Assassin

By MATT ZOLLER SEITZ
Published: March 28, 2008

Any film that dares attempt a nonjudgmental portrait of Mark David Chapman, John Lennon

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »

Thanks, Geoff. I'm going to have to rush right out and see this-- NOT. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2008, 01:53:34 PM »

Quote from: 551
Thanks, Geoff. I'm going to have to rush right out and see this-- NOT. :)

Exactly; I wouldn't waste my time with this sucker if a free DVD copy turned up in my mailbox. This is exploitation, not film making. Nobody would have the slightest interest in Chapman were it not for the fact that he murdered John Lennon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 78 queries.