Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: What About LOVE?  (Read 19240 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: What About LOVE?
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 04:02:44 PM »

Quote from: 56
At one point (at the end of Strawberry Fields Forever) you're hearing elements of three different songs at the same time and it sounds just like it was intended that way! Incredible.

Yep, I like that part of the track (I'd already said it  8)) ... Octopus's Garden (begining and break) and While My Guitar Gently Weeps (the whole song is a Dlightfull experience  ;)) are the other highlights, in my opinion ...

...  :B oops, I almost forget to mention Within You Without You - Tomorrow Never Knows (first minute) and Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite - I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Helter Skelter (good, the last part of it)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 04:14:43 PM »

Within You/Without You is a great achievement. It's great to hear it because John and George were on the same spiritual vibe at some points. It's nice because it seems as though it were somehow a Lennon/Harrison composition listening to it. And the hypnotic drum track seems like it could have been written for WYWY. Works perfectly. One of the treasures on the album.  :)
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 04:30:22 PM »

You have said it all: "works perfectly"

Lennon and George were very close by 1966 and 1967 ...

Taxman and some of John's Revolver songs sound to me as if they were composed together (tho they weren't) ...

... and Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite and Within You Without You have always sounded in my mind as a weird two-sided single ... they are far away from the others of Sgt. Pepper's ... tho Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds sounds to me as if it was a collaboration too ...

... talking about the dark side of both members: I Am The Walrus and Blue Jay Way are parallels to me (but at different levels) ...

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2006, 04:45:31 PM »

I wouldn't use the word dark to describe anything George did (and consider: Beware Of Darkness), though it's certainly there in some of John's stuff - '...just had to laugh...' Tomorrow Never Knows I think was intended to be genuinely spiritual, but the music seems kind of dark. Some of the music in George's songs might seem dark, but I think George never intended it to sound that way. Except that the darkness of the music in Blue Jay Way might have been intended to act as a warning - 'Please don't be long.' I know it was based on friends who couldn't find their way to his home, but, I wonder if it's a hidden spiritual reference. Like I suggested with Savoy Truffle.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »

I su-pose you're right ... my comment was made with George's fear of the LA fog in mind (he sounds frightned in the song too) and only talking about the sound ... and its sound isn't exactly bright, if you ask me  :) ...

... well, the thing is that if you try to mash up both I'm sure that it'll work perfectly too ... the arrangements are in the same wave, if you know what I mean  ;D

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »

Putting together I Am The Walrus and Blue jay Way? Don't be surprised if there's ever a second remix album if this one is so profitable!
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2006, 05:21:25 PM »

I'm sure that LOVE will be a big success  :) ... but I'm nor so sure that the excuse used here (the soundtrack for a show) could be used again or even that the alive members and Yoko and Olivia, -all of them and at the same time-, will ever agree  to allow anyone to do something like this again ... sadly  :-/ ... (I wish I was wrong  ::)) ...

P.S. Closer to the topic now, I think ... LOL!  ;D

Bobber

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »

Quote from: 297
I'm sure that LOVE will be a big success  :)

That's not hard to predict. It already is a big success.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2006, 07:02:53 PM »

Well, not a very risky thing to say, maybe  ;D ... but after just a few days it could seem a big success ... but I think we should wait some more to assure it  :-/ ... after Xmastime at least  :) ...

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2006, 08:49:55 PM »

Christmas will gain the big sales figures. No doubt why they released it recently.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »

Yep, and, because of that, I think that January and Februry will test the album sales ...

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2006, 09:05:27 AM »

A success is not only counted by sales.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »

Not only ... but without them  :-/
[...]but after just a few days it could seem a big success ... but I think we should wait some more to assure it  :-/ [...]

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2006, 03:56:44 PM »

Quote from: 284
you are as pretty as you are smart....go on and splain axo why you think calling them the guys make it seems like you personally knew them....it does seem a bit presump...and i wasn't going to say nothing but since she did i will agree...it appears stoopid....

Thanks for the compliment. I see, but i think it's a bit silly, but i didn't mean to upset anyone. Still i think to talk of The Beatles as The Guys, with capitals, is confusing and not necessary. Like calling somebody you don't know a friend. Or giving a nickname to somebody you don't really know.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2006, 06:08:33 PM »

Raxo hardly ever spells it with capitals. Calling them the guys is just endearing I suppose he feels. I call them the guys sometimes too. Another good Raxo idea!
All You Need Is LOVE!

Bobber

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2006, 06:39:06 PM »

I agree with Tamara here. It is silly. Especially when it's used in the names of albums. Why don't we call them The Rolling Stones, the Kinks or the Who instead? Like: Kinks For Sale, With The Kinks... Sounds good and even better than 'Guys'. Capitals are used quite often by the way. Hey! Let's call this place DM's Kinks Forum!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »

I just found out on allmusic.com that The Guys are in fact the band that released the timeless classics "Guys" (2004), "The Guys Christmas Party" (2004) and "Live At The Party" (2006), so please let them keep their name and let the Beatles keep their name, otherwise it would be WAY too confusing. :)

Back on topic:
This new version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps is hands down the best version I ever heard of the song.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2006, 08:15:38 PM »

Quote from: 354
[...]Like calling somebody you don't know a friend. Or giving a nickname to somebody you don't really know.
Agree on this ...
... all of you love to be off-topic too ... like me, I see! :)

Well, backing back to topic: I think that the best point oon While My Guitar Gently Weeps (LOVE version) is that the classical approach and its sound quality make it look as an "alternate studio version", if you know what I mean: for an outsider or casual listener (not a fan, obviously) this could be an unreleased outtake ... a highlight of this album (the best track, if you ask me) ...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2006, 12:12:07 AM »

Well, I broke down and finally bought it, and it p*sses me off that it sounds so good because their entire catalog needs remastered. As for the album itself, its good for the first few listens, but i'm not going nuts over it.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 08:43:28 AM »

a highlight of this album (the best track, if you ask me) ...

I agree. My second favorite would be Strawberry Fields Forever. I love the way how the demo evolves to the final version.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 73 queries.