Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lockerbie bomber release  (Read 5144 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Lockerbie bomber release
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:03:45 PM »

Good or bad? For those not following it, the Pan Am bomber (airliner blown up with hundreds killed, plane and passengers landed in Lockerbie) was released to Libya because he is close to death from prostate cancer. Got a hero's welcome there.

I read today that Scotland has a well-established pattern of compassionate release in circumstances like these.

I'm all for compassion, but part of me says this doesn't strike the right balance of compassion for the bomber on the one hand, with compassion for the victims' families, and justice, on the other.

What says you guys?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Lockerbie bomber release
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:38:38 AM »

Surprised no answers here. Boring topic? Too impolitic? Safety concerns?

"Inquiring minds want to know"!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:23:21 AM »

I think this has more to do with Scotland trying to take an independant stance than anything else. They SNP desperately want to differentiate themselves from the Westminster government.
Good on them, but I wish they would go completely. They're like an annoying teenager, always moaning about their parents but refusing to move out because it's too comfy at home. Mum always does their washing.
This quote from the Scottish  Justice Secretary sums it up nicely (we are Scottish, not British):
"In Scotland, we are a people who pride ourselves on our humanity. It is viewed as a defining characteristic of Scotland and the Scottish people. The perpetration of an atrocity and outrage cannot and should not be a basis for losing sight of who we are, the values we seek to uphold, and the faith and beliefs by which we seek to live."

Unfortunately this doesn't have a lot to do with Lockerbie or the people that died.

don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:37:20 PM »

I had heard  The release of the Lockerbie bomber was linked to trade deals between Britain and Libya ? either way i dont think it should have been allowed, Terminally ill or not he gave away his right to be treated with any kind of compassion when he killed those innocent people, a might be way off but is maybe fear of a backlash if they hadnt released him ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »

a might be way off but is maybe fear of a backlash if they hadnt released him ?
A backlash from who? Libya are desperate to be accepted back in to the international fold. The man also had rights of appeal if he wished.
don't follow leaders

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »

Not really a backlash but the USA and UK want to keep Libya away from the extremists who are not in power at the moment.
The UK used the Scottish slant to keep an agreement they made to release this terrorist. Of course they had hoped the reception could have been toned down but Brown has said nothing and Obama has just made a few disapproving remarks (the USA has been known to bomb Libya in other circumstances).
If this man had not come from Libya then he would probably still be in jail.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »

Any Scots on the board with a different point of view?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Whoeveriam

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:34:47 AM »

Regardless of how many dead bodies had to be pulled out of trees and the feelings of the victims families improving relations with an oil-rich country is noy a bad tactic. If that is indeed the case I don't know what anyones problems are with this. Surely if it keeps the inevitable at bay for a few years longer then thats worth the lives of 270 innocent people 22 years ago.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:06:17 AM »

Regardless of how many dead bodies had to be pulled out of trees and the feelings of the victims families improving relations with an oil-rich country is noy a bad tactic. If that is indeed the case I don't know what anyones problems are with this. Surely if it keeps the inevitable at bay for a few years longer then thats worth the lives of 270 innocent people 22 years ago.

Wow. You really are desperate for attention. Not enough cuddles from your mum?
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »

It doesn't matter if it was one year ago or 100 years ago. A crime is still a crime. You think it's worth crashing a jet airliner into a small village for a bit of oil?

Apart from the fact that the guy was probably a patsy, I don't believe that there is ever a case to release murderers and terrorists early on compassionate grounds. They weren't being very compassionate when they blew the bloody thing out of the sky!

I guess you got the response that you wanted. I'm just surprised your teacher let you use the internet.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 09:43:54 PM »

Wonder what will happen if he lives longer than three month ? he looked quit perky when he got back to Libya .
Mums brother was given 12 to 18 month with a brain tumour and he lasted seven years .

Whoeveriam

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »

Attention Kevin and Blue Meanie, regarding the way you took my comment, turn it around and take it again.

It Happened In... Lockerbie - 20 Aug 07 - Part 1
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:17:32 PM by Whoeveriam »

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 02:52:32 AM »

Because the public has a short memory, the law should have a long one.  Megrahi pulls his appeal and voila (as they say in Scotland), he gets a compassionate release.  Oh and there's some big oil jockeying in the backroom, but of course it never had any influence on this case.

I always thought that the Scots were a bit tougher in situations like this.  Compassionate release his ass to the Outer Hebrides!

What did Rabbie Burns say about "a parcel of rogues"?

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »

Scotlands a law system is a shambles i read every week of young neds getting 3 years for cold blooded murder and probably serve half it, but when there is a robbery or anything with money involved they are getting sent down for 10 -15... it seems like if it isnt happening on there door or affecting them then they aint interested.

Boakile09

• One And One Is Two
    • yjg
Lockerbie bomber release
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 11:43:06 PM »

I hate this country, its ridiculous justice system, its broken politics and its intolerance for change.

My friends aunt died in the Lockerbie bombings, and its a disgrace that a killer can get 8 years in Prison for a life sentence, just because he caught the cancer doesnt mean he should get off scot free. Its a life sentence, not an 8 year sentence.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »

Not clear, which country?

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 72 queries.