Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: RIP Steve Irwin  (Read 7316 times)

Bobber

RIP Steve Irwin
« on: September 04, 2006, 07:33:03 AM »

I love to watch Steve on tv... He died...

Australian environmentalist and television personality Steve Irwin has died during a diving accident. Mr Irwin, 44, was killed by a stingray barb to the chest while he was filming an underwater documentary in Queensland's Great Barrier Reef.
Paramedics from the nearby city of Cairns rushed to treat him at the scene but were unable to save him. Mr Irwin was known for his television show The Crocodile Hunter and his work with native Australian wildlife.
Police in Queensland confirmed the naturalist's death and said his family had been notified. Mr Irwin was married with two young children. "It is believed that Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung by a stingray at Batt Reef off Port Douglas at about 1100 (0100 GMT)," a police statement quoted by AFP news agency said.
"His crew called for medical treatment and the Queensland medical helicopter responded. However Mr Irwin had died." The stingray is a flat, triangular-shaped fish, commonly found in tropical waters.
It gets its name from the razor-sharp barb at the end of its tail, coated in toxic venom, which the animal uses to defend itself with when it feels threatened.
Although deadly, such attacks on humans are a rarity. David Penberthy, editor of the Sydney Daily Telegraph, told the BBC he had never heard of anyone in Australia being killed by a stingray before.
"You know we still at this early stage don't know what type of stingray it was, or, you know I guess given the bloke's track record, whether he was getting up close and personal with it as well," Mr Penberty said. "Or whether it was just a total freak accident and in the course of making this nature documentary he just ended up being attacked."
Mr Irwin had built up what was a small reptile park in Queensland into what is now Australia Zoo, a major centre for Australian wildlife. He was famous for handling dangerous creatures such as crocodiles, snakes and spiders, and his documentaries on his work with crocodiles drew a worldwide audience. But he also courted controversy with a series of stunts. He sparked outrage across Australia after cradling his one-month-old son a metre away from the reptile during a show at Australia Zoo.
A probe was also launched to investigate whether Mr Irwin and his team interacted too closely with penguins and whales while filming in the Antarctic, but no action was taken. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer praised Mr Irwin for his work to promote Australia. "The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Mr Downer's spokesman said.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: RIP Steve Irwin
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 09:40:10 AM »

I wasn't his biggest fan but at least he died doing what he loved.
His great line from the Simpsons: "now I'm gonna stick my thumb up this crocs arse and REALLY p*ss 'em off."
RIP Steve.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 09:58:43 AM »

Sad news. One of the most enthusiastic presenters of all time.

Rest well me ol mucker!!!!!
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »

Quote from: 185
I wasn't his biggest fan but at least he died doing what he loved.
His great line from the Simpsons: "now I'm gonna stick my thumb up this crocs arse and REALLY p*ss 'em off."
RIP Steve.
i totally agree...but that means one us of could die under an album slide???

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »

Christ, can't believe this..i guess you could say i was a 'fan' of his, i had his book and some of his videos, i used to love watching when i was younger...RIP.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »

Quote from: 284
i totally agree...but that means one us of could die under an album slide???

I'm hoping for something a bit more dramatic. Rubber Soul flies off the turntable and decapitates me. They find my head, joint still in mouth, in a half-eaten plate of spaghetti and sardines.
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 11:37:35 AM »

I was quite shocked when I heard the news. But let's face it - this guy was never gonna die of natural causes!

RIP fella.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 11:58:43 AM »

Quote from: 360
I was quite shocked when I heard the news. But let's face it - this guy was never gonna die of natural causes!

RIP fella.

Well, in fact, it's nature that caused his death...

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 12:01:15 PM »

Quote from: 63

Well, in fact, it's nature that caused his death...

Ha ha true - but how many of us are gonna have "death caused by stingray" on their death certificates!?!

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 04:16:10 PM »

man, cant believe the man that made us all think australians said "cricky, that bugger just bit me" is dead

lets honor the man by walking around with crocidile handbags...what, dont give me that look. i think Al would look sexy with one of them
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 01:25:22 AM »

I'm gonna miss that crazy Aussie. I loved watching his show, I think it taught a lot of kids to be respectful of nature. Poor guy, he was so young too.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 01:33:31 AM »

It is sad indeed, but the guy was always throwing the dice. He finally lost.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »

Quote from: 360

Ha ha true - but how many of us are gonna have "death caused by stingray" on their death certificates!?!

I'd knock on wood, if I were you.  ;D

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 02:49:57 AM »

I loved to watch his shows, even if I did hope the snake would bite him and thinking that would teach him. It is very sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Terri and their two young children. God bless and RIP Steve.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 04:18:24 AM »

I read somewhere that this is only the second ever recorded stingray death in Australia. strange.

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 07:11:29 AM »

Bully for him. He died quickly, and that's all we could wish for, right? I hated that f***. Taunting animals to charge at him, holding his baby in front of a Crocodile, that Crock could have whipped his tail around and killed that baby. He wasn't a hero, he used animals, taunted them for his own purpose. He didn't treat them with respect, and now he's going to be revered as a Conservationist? Screw that. Unfortunately, he didn't get hit in the spine and spent the rest of his Crock life paralyzed and let him ponder the wonder of life and animals instead of f***ing with them for a dollar. I wish no ill will on anyone, except for people that use people, animals, etc., for their own gain. Bullfights, Chicken fights, dog fights--they all feel pain, and if this stupid f*** wants to taunt a harmless stingray, he got what he deserved, albeit he died too quickly, unlike some of the animals he liked to taunt.

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »

Thank God you don't do any harm to anybody.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 09:34:56 AM »

Quote from: 100
. I wish no ill will on anyone, except for people that use people, animals, etc., for their own gain..

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
don't follow leaders

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 06:42:40 PM »

hes a conservationist because he actually made people realize that "holy crap, theres another world out there that doesnt involve humans!?" he let us welcome all these animals into our home and actually taught us something.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 06:42:55 PM »

Quote from: 185

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

indeed
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 83 queries.