Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Collection Of Beatles Oldies...  (Read 4449 times)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: A Collection Of Beatles Oldies...
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »

Quote from: 63

Didn't know that. But were these reasons enough for people in 1966 to buy an expensive album?

I guess that depends on where you stood. As I was only a year old when this came out, I can not speak authoritatively, but from what I understand stereo was for adults. So if you had the the equivalent of $6.99 (UK equivalent) and you were a real fan, I don't think it would have been a big decision. If you were a kid scrapping by on allowance and lawn mowing, baby sitting, etc. money, you probably would have foregone this one. Hence, why it would not have sold in big numbers.

And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 01:32:47 AM »

portable record players were all mono back then and the bigger home stereos were stereophonic......so there were probally more monos printed as kids bought them and they owned the mono players...

Walt2121

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »

I agree, "Hey Jude" for best compilation.  i think the problem with the "Oldies" album is, to this day, I do not think of the music as oldies.  Everyone else yes, The Beatles no.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:08 PM »

Quote from: 1928
I agree, "Hey Jude" for best compilation.  i think the problem with the "Oldies" album is, to this day, I do not think of the music as oldies.  Everyone else yes, The Beatles no.
Hey Jude was not intended to be a compilation. It was more of a "catch-up" album. It was the songs that had never appeared on a Capitol Records album before (geared to stereo releases). Hence, why "Can't Buy Me Love" was on it. I mean if there ever was a song out of place on that album it is "Can't Buy Me Love".

It mostly caught Capitol Records up. They left "Get Back" off because it was on "Let It Be" album.

A Collection Of Beatles Oldies was a British originated album, Hey Jude was a U.S. originated album.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 10:21:34 PM »

What's fascinating is that three years previously was considered old. How many people here think of 2006 as ancient history?
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 40 queries.