Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to write songs?  (Read 2544 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
How to write songs?
« on: November 19, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »

Does anyone here write songs?  I've tried all my life.  But I've never composed anything that sounded good.

I would like to ask:  how do you go about writing one? 

I think Paul McCartney seemed to just pull songs out of thin air.  I also think he could just start humming and it would turn into something.  I think George got his songs from plunking on the guitar all day long.  I'm not sure how John got his but I think he kind of riffed off of other people's songs and made them his own.

Elton John and Billy Joel were really good song writers.  But I assume, because they're both piano players, that they derived their songs from their piano experiments.  Something would sound good to them and they'd remember it and then turn it into something unique and original.

Anyway, I think all you need is a melody and a theme that repeats throughout the song.

What do you guys think about songwriting?
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: How to write songs?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »

Ive written quite a few songs Loco, its something I enjoy, kind of hobby.
In my case I just pick up my Ovation acoustic and start humming (like you described)...Then make up some words (the hard bit for me)
OR, I play a few chords on my keyboard.

Im better at melody than words and often wish Id met someone who could collaborate, but I never have.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »

Im better at melody than words and often wish Id met someone who could collaborate, but I never have.

Ha ha. Join the club  ;)  Never met my Bernie Taupin. Although I did have a female collaborator for a while who wrote some good lyrics. Thought the results were pretty ok. But life intervenes and she didn’t seem to be able to keep churning them out, what with family responsibilities and all.

There are sites now where you can match up with lyricists and things. I’ve dabbled but not found the write person.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 01:07:06 AM »

I make up songs (just lyrics to to the tune of real songs) all the time but the only ones who’ve ever heard them have been kids and dogs. The kids liked them until they got older, at which time they begged me to stop. The dogs seem to enjoy them but they know I’m the one who feeds them so they’re probably just being polite.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 03:01:36 AM »

I’ve dabbled but not found the write person.

You mean the right person or the write person ? :D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 03:09:59 AM »

You mean the right person or the write person ? :D

Obviously the latter  ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 03:55:36 AM »

I make up songs (just lyrics to to the tune of real songs) all the time but the only ones who’ve ever heard them have been kids and dogs. The kids liked them until they got older, at which time they begged me to stop. The dogs seem to enjoy them but they know I’m the one who feeds them so they’re probably just being polite.

I’m constantly making up stupid songs. But as my youngest is getting past the stage of being impressed at anything I do, the market has dried up. I did record one of them though. So I can haunt haunt  with it forever.

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 05:32:49 AM »

I’m constantly making up stupid songs. But as my youngest is getting past the stage of being impressed at anything I do, the market has dried up. I did record one of them though. So I can haunt haunt  with it forever.

Leaving an accurate legacy is very important.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 08:41:57 AM »

Leaving an accurate legacy is very important.

I think it’s more that I can extend my embarrass the children stage pretty much infinitely

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 02:19:48 PM »

There's not been a lot of feedback for this thread.  I wonder if it's because people, in general, don't want to give their songwriting secrets away.  If I was really good at this, I don't think I'd want to tell everyone how I do it.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 12:25:33 AM »

Ive written quite a few songs over the years, but you kind of lose interest when they go nowhere. In the end you think "why am I doing this" ? I had one of mine played on an American radio show once. The DJ had bought my album from a site that is no more called Mindawn. They emailed me and told me the approx time it would be played, I tuned in over the web and there it was, quite a thrill at 6am Oz time
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 01:23:41 AM »

Ive written quite a few songs over the years, but you kind of lose interest when they go nowhere. In the end you think "why am I doing this" ? I had one of mine played on an American radio show once. The DJ had bought my album from a site that is no more called Mindawn. They emailed me and told me the approx time it would be played, I tuned in over the web and there it was, quite a thrill at 6am Oz time

That must be nice to hear  icon_good

I think the lack of an outlet is a big issue. For me mainly finishing things. I have dozens of three quarter finished tunes. But without a deadline there’s no need to do that last polishing.   

It isn’t that difficult to get things up on Spotify or iTunes or on Bandcamp if you really want to put things out there. A friend has done that and it was fairly straightforward and doesn’t cost much. I keep thinking I might do it but finding time is the main thing.

I keep writing it because I particularly enjoy the recording process, building up an arrangement, getting good sound as possible.

Page created in 1.034 seconds with 56 queries.