Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: What About LOVE?  (Read 19941 times)

sregis

• A Beginning
Re: What About LOVE?
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »

Quote from: 63

I think you mean Helter Skelter here.

...and the anthology III cut is quite enough for me.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2006, 12:34:21 AM »

My predictions for the remasters being released is about the same as the 'Let It Be' movie being released,,,,,,i'll believe it when I see it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2006, 04:14:10 PM »

Quote from: 63

I think you mean Helter Skelter here. And what about the myth of Etcetera?

Oops! You're right.

I don't believe I know anything of Etcetera?

Bobber

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »

Quote from: 483
I don't believe I know anything of Etcetera?

Read here and further: http://dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1123997578/s-5/highlight-Etcetera/#num4

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2006, 05:24:58 PM »

Track 14 - (nice touch) of Tomorrow Never Knows/Within You Without You is such a great amalgamation of songs - But what I wanted to focus on was the link of track 14 into the start of track 15 in regards to the production. The in and out fading of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds creeping into the mix is so magically subtle, and timed perfectly. The combination of a slow rise in tempo building through a smoke screen of mystical noises helps add a psychedelic mystery that is held until the sound finally settles to a steady beat. I just think these few moments are such a triumph for George Martin and son Giles, and truly take original cuts of the fab four's music and create a colourful arrangment that helped accentuate the fictional sounscape the Beatles painted so effortlessly.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2006, 05:37:26 PM »

Nice analysis(bouncing3)! Unfortunatley i haven't heard this tracks yet, but even George Martin say's it's brilliant! ;)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2006, 05:51:56 PM »

My favourite bit is still when the She's So Heavy riff kicks in. Everytime it blows me away with the power.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2006, 01:01:36 PM »

Video of Within You, Without You from LOVE here:

http://uk.music.yahoo.com/ar-262009---The-Beatles
All You Need Is LOVE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2006, 08:53:04 PM »

Someone posted this on another forum... Feel free to add anything that's missing:

1. Because - a capella version over birds sounds from the World Wildlife Version of Across The Universe, into the backwards final chord on A Day In The Life which builds into the opening guitar crash of Hard Day's Night over Ringo's drum solo and a short guitar solo burst from the end of The End into the opening of...
2. Get Back - most of the song with outro of A Day In The Life

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2006, 10:40:29 PM »

The jury is still out on this one for me. I have to listen to it a few more times before I make up my mind about it. I like a lot of the changes, but I think it's going to end up being more of a novelty than anything else. I like the ending to Hey Jude a lot. For some reason that stuck out for me. But again, I haven't given it too many listens yet. I'm seeing the show on Christmas. I wonder if that will help me appreciate it. Probably not. It will probably ruin it for me if anything. Oh well. At leasat it's something new. I like that the Beatles are still in the forefront of pop culture. Somewhat.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2006, 02:50:51 AM »

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2006, 03:20:10 PM »

you know i got LOVE twice for xmas (lack of communication appearently) and i have to admit, its not bad. there are times where you cant tell that theres anything different about the songs. then others are completely rethought songs and they work so well. i particularly enjoyed Because played backwards at the beginning of Something. that was cool
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2006, 03:36:50 PM »

Quote from: 343
you know i got LOVE twice for xmas (lack of communication appearently) and i have to admit, its not bad. there are times where you cant tell that theres anything different about the songs. then others are completely rethought songs and they work so well. i particularly enjoyed Because played backwards at the beginning of Something. that was cool

It grows with the time ...
... by the way, were you refering to Gnik Nus(Sun King backwards)?  ;)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2006, 04:59:56 PM »

Don't you think though that even on the "untouched" songs the production gives them a whole new life? For the first time I could pick out the guitars clearly on Walrus. It all sounds very fresh and immediate.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:39 PM »

I think (and hope) we'll see more projects by the Martins similar to this one in the future. Brian Wilson already said he'd love to see them do something with the Beach Boys catalogue.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2006, 08:13:16 PM »

Quote from: 185
Don't you think though that even on the "untouched" songs the production gives them a whole new life? For the first time I could pick out the guitars clearly on Walrus. It all sounds very fresh and immediate.

Makes you hope for what the remasters could sound like.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »

(I'm not reviewing all songs here.)

I just listened to LOVE yesterday twice - on headphones and speakers.  You certainly pick up more on the ambient and extraneous content on the headphones.  I was struck at the sonic clarity of "Come Together."  It's not one of my favs, but I really enjoyed this version.  Ringo is an excellent drummer with his inventive backup on this.

I was somewhat bored with the intro until it got to the plaintive violin chords of Eleanor Rigby.  With "I am the Walrus," I was totally hooked.  I feel like George Martin really liked Lennon's work.  Is it my perception that I seem to hear a preponderance of John in the project?

I was also very impressed by the final "hmmm" at the end of "Help" as vocalized together by John and Paul.  Was George in on this, too, for a tri-harmony?  Hard to believe they did this on a few (or one) takes.

Glass Onion - what is this song all about anyway?  I love it though.  Seems like a throwaway of John's, just some filler for the White
Album.  It clocks at 2:13.  I think more could have been done with it.

Gnik Nus:  I wasn't too impressed but it was an interesting idea by the Martins.  At first listen, I really thought it was John singing in Dutch or something.  I read the liner notes afterward and realized it was Sun King played backwards because George liked the melody and surmised that John would have enthusiastically approved.

I thought it was interesting to hear the excerpt of the passing ambulance alarm from Revolution 9 at the end of the Julia segment.

Octopus's Garden sounded melancholy in this version.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is simply a great George Harrison tune.  Can it really be called a Beatles song considering that John and Paul weren't receptive to it at the time?  (However, John does play both organ and acoustic guitar on it - but where's Paul?)  For that matter, I think we'd have to say that "Yesterday" wasn't a Beatles tune either.  I'd hate to continue on with this logic.  Best to leave it at that.

A Day in the Life:  I'm glad it was included in its entirety and with the fabled "sugar plum fairie" verse clearly audible - and the short count as well.  I have always considered "A Day in the Life" to be a masterpiece of sheer musical perfection.

I'm not so sure about the closeout with the Sgt Pepper reprise but I guess it made sense considering the performance is concluding at that point.

"All you need is Love" was appropriately placed as the final song because the Performance is itself labeled "Love."  The snippets of Beatles dialogue with John saying "Good Night" had a frenetic quality to them.  It's sort of like an amped-up Beatles concluding a show.  All that energy - whew - it would have taken them a while (in those days) to unwind and cool down.

I think a better critique could be made upon seeing the Cirque Du Soleil performance and in hearing how the songs jive with that.  I expect they'll eventually release a DVD of it.

One question:  Is there any kind of narrative thread throughout these songs?  I don't see it.  Is it one of these endless "interpretation/IMO" type of games?  I would think a chronological order would make the most narrative sense but it appears to be non-existent.  What were George and Giles thinking - just a focus on the soundscaping of it all?

Also:  I'd love to see what John, Paul, George (and yes, Ringo, too) would have done with this commission were they able, living, present and agreeable to it.  Sure, the Martins are wonderful craftsman and exceedingly knowledgable in their chosen profession, but I think the actual Beatles would have done far better and would have also produced some exquisite surprises, riddles and perhaps, new material as well.

So that's my initial impression so far.  Fans of all levels can enjoy it.  There are some medley aspects to it in which some songs necessarily receive short shrift - but that's the nature of the project - it can't be helped.  I think that apart from the Cirque Du Soleil performance itself, we'll probably just pick out what we really like and play it whenever the mood dictates.   But as an overall album, I don't know.  It's not even a concept album, IMO.  Unless someone here can argue otherwise, it seems to me to be a motley collection of their work.

Enjoy - Love.  That's all you need!
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2006, 03:39:32 PM »

Quote from: 156
Glass Onion - what is this song all about anyway?  I love it though.  Seems like a throwaway of John's, just some filler for the White
Album.  It clocks at 2:13.  I think more could have been done with it.

It's one of John's little teasers. A mixed up load of nothing. It doesn't mean anything, but people have still spent the best part of 40 years trying to analyze it!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »

Quote from: 156
[...]Octopus's Garden sounded melancholy in this version.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is simply a great George Harrison tune.  Can it really be called a Beatles song considering that John and Paul weren't receptive to it at the time?  (However, John does play both organ and acoustic guitar on it - but where's Paul?)  For that matter, I think we'd have to say that "Yesterday" wasn't a Beatles tune either.  I'd hate to continue on with this logic.  Best to leave it at that.
[...]

I agree with you about Octopus's Garden ... and about While My Guitar Gently Weeps (my favourite) I thought it was Paul who played the organ in the acoustic version they made before they recorded the rock one ... and about Yesterday, well, we've said a lot about that song ... one of the most interesting topics could be this:
http://dmbeatles.com/forums/b-fifths/m-1140552856/s-all/

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2007, 06:55:46 PM »

I'm not sure whether 'Because' was the right introduction song.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Page created in 3.066 seconds with 87 queries.