Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beaucoups Of Blues  (Read 13110 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Beaucoups Of Blues
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:41:08 AM »

Beaucoups of Blues

Ringo’s country album.  I hate country music, but love me some Ringo, so let’s see how this one turns out.

1.   Beaucoups Of Blues -  A country waltz is how I would describe this.  Ringo’s voice doesn’t sound too bad.  It sounds like Ringo.  Some steel guitar in the background and the usual fiddle and so forth.  The background vocals grate on me.  Hate the bass singer.  Need to mention the harmonica.  Of course there needs to be one of those.  Seriously, this song stinks.  Its slow and everything I hate about country music.

2.   Love Don’t Last Long – Starts with some electric and acoustic guitar together with some piano.  Another slow song.  Harmonica in the background throughout.  Your best bet with this song is to listen to the lyrics as Ringo tells a story.  That should distract you from the actual music some.  Its pleasant enough if you like slow, old country music, but I don’t.

3.   Fastest Growing Heartache In The West – Great, a slow country shuffle.  The steel slide and fiddle is getting to me.  I don’t know how I’m supposed to explain this music really.  Its just old style country.  The bass is the best part of this song and it’s simple, plodding playing.  This sucks.

4.   Without Her – There’s a high pitched violin note being played under the guitar and drums in the beginning that’s actually nice.  This song is slower, but has some melodic qualities.  I like the electric guitar playing throughout.  Ringo’s voice sounds tired here, but I like the song.  Reminds me of something you would here Elvis sing.  I wished he did.  Best effort so far.

5.   Woman Of The Night – Very beginning reminds me of ‘Tangled Up In Blues’.  Ringo’s voice is wearing on me at this point.  The snare drum sounds really good.  The steel guitar is sucking the life out of me pretty quickly.  Hate that sound.  I do like the chorus around the .47 mark.  Wish the harmonica wasn’t present in this song.  Falls right along the lines of being acceptable.

6.   I’d Be Talking All The Time -  Great, another steel, slide heavy song.  The time is weird for me.  It’s a 4/4, but the walking bass line almost makes me think it’s a cross between a shuffle and waltz.  Maybe I’m losing my mind at this point.  1:57 mark old Ritchie name drops with ‘Ringo be talking’,,,,Lol.  2:14 it sounds like he coughed, sneezed, and had a conniption fit all at the same time.  Sounded like me trying to hit a high note in the shower, and that’s not good.

7.   $15 Draw – Ohhhh,,,,1,,,2.  Starts off with a count in and you can hear something being hit like a music stand and then it goes into some pretty cool guitar playing.  Funky.  The steel guitar even gets a pass.  This song has a decent pace and I’m actually into it.  I like it.  A bit monotonous after awhile, but its still the best I’ve heard so far.  Not bad.  Must be Jerry Reed playing the guitar as Ringo goes into a ‘When Your Hot Your Hot’ spiel.

8.   Wine, Women and Loud Happy Songs -  Oh good, another slow waltz type song.  I can just see the country folks doing the two step to this one.  Just your basic, cookie cutter, country song.  Awful.

9.   I Wouldn’t Have You Any Other Way – Yawn.  Yet another slow one, but this one has piano along with Ringo being accompanied by a woman singer (Jeannie Kendall).  Sad thing is her voice is almost as annoying as Ringo’s on this tune.  I’m a beaten man right now.

10.   Loser’s Lounge – The tempo finally picks up a little.  Song has all the elements of what makes country music poison to my ears, but this song sounds like something that Ringo would sing so I guess it works on that level.  I hated it, but would choose this one over most everything else.

11.   Waiting – This isn’t going to end well.  How do I know this?  It didn’t start well.  Another slow assed song with an abundance of that steel, slide guitar.  I’m starting to get p*ssed off now.  Terrible.  Don’t forget the fiddle solo.  Oh there it is.  My ears are crying.

12.   Silent Homecoming – Wait, decent guitar with some good sounding drums.  Ringo’s voice is atrocious, but the music is enjoyable.  The guitar sounds like a harpsichord.  Sounds like a cross between something the Wrecking Crew would play and the Partridge Family.  Cripes, I’m losing my mind.  This song is not strong by any account, but its one of the better ones here.

Bonus tracks:  I dont feel like I’ve suffered enough yet
1.   Coochy Coochy – Nice drum beat.  Guitars sound decent.  I like the bass line.  Harmonica solo though.  Sounds like Canned Heat.  It’s a nice break from the normal country sounding crap, but it doesn’t do anything.  Just a solid beat throughout with every instrument at their disposal performing some sort of solo. 

2.   Nashville Jam – As the song title suggests.  Just a bunch of noodling.  There’s worse on the album, but this is really nothing.  Just an organized jam that doesn’t do a good job of even that.

This album isn’t for me as you may have guessed.  I was torn between chucking it across the room or slicing my wrists with it at some point, but I made it through.  It truly is a painful listen.  Damn you Cor.  You weren’t too busy.  You were just trying to get out of listening to this.  Whatever.  I took one for the team.  Lol.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Beaucoups Of Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:51:50 AM »

ha2ha

I've got to listen to this now.

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:13:26 AM »

Writing your review as you're listening is an excellent technique Todd. I could just feel the tension building!  ;D

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:59:20 AM »

Lol! Thanks for the review! At one point in time (the mid-'90s?) I actually liked this album (or, at least, quite a few of the songs). I gave it a listen (or attempted to) about a month ago and I questioned what I liked about it back in the '90s. The album boasts quite a lot of top notch Nashville/country musicians but the meld just never occurs.

Now, in fairness to Ringo, this album was recorded in only two days (if I remember correctly) and Ringo had to learn the songs in the morning then record the finished product in the afternoon of the same day. If he had more time to play around w/ and work on his vocal stylings maybe it would have turned out more positively?

Silent Homecoming, with better vocals, could have been a powerful track (great lyrics, imo).

As for Jerry Reed, that dude was awesome and he was always quite the character! I can listen to Amos Moses anytime, anyplace, anywhere and it always makes me smile!

! No longer available
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:11:50 AM by Fab4Fan »
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »

Beaucoups of Blues

Damn you Cor.  You weren’t too busy.  You were just trying to get out of listening to this.  Whatever.  I took one for the team.  Lol.

Haha! That really made my day (and it's only just begun!). Sorry Todd. Shall I pick it up from here again?  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »

You get the next one Cor.  Maybe we can switch off.  Luckily, Ringo's offerings are better from here on out.

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:06:43 PM »

I listened to Beaucoup Of Blues today once again while I was driving out of Amsterdam today. It really is a dreadful album. I wonder how it was received at the time it was released. Barry, do you remember?

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »

I listened to Beaucoup Of Blues today once again while I was driving out of Amsterdam today. It really is a dreadful album. I wonder how it was received at the time it was released. Barry, do you remember?

I was curious too so I checked with our friend Wikipedia. Make of this what you will. ;)

Reception and aftermath

Professional ratings
Review scores
Source    Rating
AllMusic    4/5 stars
Robert Christgau    B
The Essential Rock Discography    5/10
MusicHound    4/5 stars
Q    3/5 stars
Rolling Stone    (favourable)
The Rolling Stone Album Guide    2/5 stars

Writing for Rolling Stone, Charles Burton remarked: "If Beaucoups of Blues reminds one of any record, it's Nashville Skyline, only instead of being lovable, spaced-out Bobby Dylan in front of those luxurious Nashville backups, it's lovable Richard Starkey who is crooning his heart out."[25] In an interview with Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone on 8 December 1970, John Lennon called the album "a good record," but qualified that comment by saying he "didn't feel as embarrassed as I did about [Starr's] first record."[27]

In Melody Maker, Richard WIlliams remarked on Starr's limitations as a vocalist but found that his "conviction and charm" were such that Beaucoups of Blues "forces one to abdicate from any hip posture and admit, just this once, to sheer uncomplicated enjoyment." Williams acknowledged the key roles played by Drake and guitarist Chuck Howard, before concluding: "One can imagine … that Ringo had a ball making this album. I had a ball listening to it."[28]

Although it was only moderately successful at the time, some critics have since stated that Beaucoups of Blues is one of Starr's best albums. Bob Woffinden wrote in his 1981 book The Beatles Apart: "Ringo took his chance well and his homely lugubrious voice suited those typically maudlin country songs like a charm. It's one of the best Beatle solo albums."[29] Among reviews of the 1995 reissue, Q magazine described it as "always likable and original" and "a collection of contemporary country songs, delivered by Ringo Starr in a languidly melancholic style curiously reminiscent of Michael Nesmith."[24] Mojo editor Paul Du Noyer admired the "stellar cast of country players" on the recordings and added that "the groove is loose and fluent."[30]

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:39:59 AM »

Loose and fluent. Mmm. Alright. That looks like a pretty good review in those days.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »

You know, the album really may not be that bad, but my dire hate for country music killed it before it even started.

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 06:53:55 AM »

You know, the album really may not be that bad, but my dire hate for country music killed it before it even started.

I don't know. A last listen yesterday before it really returns to the attic. Without You and $15 Draw are the only two songs worth a listen. The rest all sounds the same. No surprises. Ringo sounds tired overall, or should I say 'uninterested'. Coochy Coochy is a nice bonus track and works well. From what I've read, I know that Ringo worked with some fine musicians on this album, an The Jordanairs (sp?) were there. Was this really the best they could do?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »

It don't seem right critiquing Ringo albums. Its a bit like reviewing your kids fridge art. He had so little to work with, tried his darndness and the results are nicely harmless.
As side projects go definitely preferable to Wonderwall or Two Virgins. And it seems something he'd always wanted to do. But I can't take his work seriously enough ( and I'd be confident to say he didn't expect anyone to) to be negative about it.
The guy had to do something.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »

It don't seem right critiquing Ringo albums. Its a bit like reviewing your kids fridge art. He had so little to work with, tried his darndness and the results are nicely harmless.
As side projects go definitely preferable to Wonderwall or Two Virgins. And it seems something he'd always wanted to do. But I can't take his work seriously enough ( and I'd be confident to say he didn't expect anyone to) to be negative about it.

He has 6 or 7 albums I take real serious.  They are just down right good.  That's me though.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 11:37:31 PM »

Just listened to this album for the first time and have to say its what I expected.

It sounds like a very good band of professional musicians led by a singer who is 2nd rate (especially on the title track)

I like Ringo - just not as a singer
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 12:24:56 AM »

Loose and fluent. Mmm. Alright. That looks like a pretty good review in those days.

I thought the reviewer was referring to the lady from the track "Woman of the Night".
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »

True.  He never made the money Lennon/McCartney made from publishing rights, and he probably drank most of his money away after the Beatles, but like most here, I just can't stomach his music.  ;sorry
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »

Ringo's a very good underrated drummer. And a great personality. I can't say I've ever appreciated his singing. Or when he's done some good songs, especially those written for him by the Beatles, that I wouldn't have preferred one of the other three singing them.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 01:17:08 AM »

Ringo has famously made a little go a long way, trading well on his Beatle credentials and the natural charm and bonhomie which he still wields. In 1970, when it was feared he might sink like a brick in the wake of the Beatles' disbandment it was nice to see him buoyantly holding his own in those unchartered Seventies solo waters. But let's be honest, this album is bloody awful.

OK, so the typically maudlin country style is well suited to his hangdog vocal delivery and he clearly revels in wallowing about in real life Nashville. But the songs themselves are woeful and it's hard to pick out any which can be held up as even half decent... what we have here is a scramble to the bottom of the barrel and a number of plodding contenders vying for "worst of the worst" ranking. On two or three numbers he sounds positively gormless. A pity that the only time he injects a bit of oomph into proceedings is on the comparatively upbeat bonus track "Coochy Coochy", a loosely funky B Side which might have breathed a little life into the torpid original album.

It's hard to be objective when you rather loathe the C&W genre in the first place as I do. Still, he got it out of his system and the subsequent three year album gap at least allowed him to come back thoroughly recharged.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 04:11:51 AM »

I tried giving this a listen. But honestly, I gave up after the first four songs.  Like many here I'm not a country fan. And Ringo's voice, like on Sentimentsl journey, just wears you down. There's a reason we think of some people as good singers and others as not. Being in tune is only part of the battle. You have to be able to deliver a song.  Change your intonation or attack, obviously or subtly, to give depth to a performance. Ringo just doesn't do that. It all sounds too vanilla. It's fine for a song or two. But it just gets boring after a while.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »

Whine, Strummin' and Flat Grumpy Songs  ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.634 seconds with 82 queries.