Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Year of birth/How you became a Beatles Fan  (Read 2838 times)

Year of birth/How you became a Beatles Fan
« on: July 15, 2004, 01:17:42 PM »

I was born in 1962.

I remember loving The Beatles whenever I'd hear them as a child, and I watched the Beatles Cartoons on TV around age 4 - 5. I'd always go over to my aunt's house, and she had all the American albums and I would pick which one I wanted to hear from the covers. One day in 1968, my mom woke me up to tell me the group was on television. I raced downstairs to see them performing HEY JUDE and I was freaked out -- they looked so different with that long hair and the facial hair (Ringo). John was wearing glasses and was freaky looking. This couldn't really be The Beatles!

I forgot about the Beatles until around 1974 when I was 12. I had a new friend who collected all the albums and I remembered them from when I was younger, so all the songs came back to me and I asked my mom to buy me the albums for Christmas.

By the time 1976 rolled around I was 14, in high school, and a bonafide Beatles Collector/Fanatic.  The funny thing is, back then I wasn't the only one (like I imagine it is today). The Beatles were still immensely popular, and it was like they had never left. I used to only know their early albums, but around this time I first discovered THE WHITE ALBUM and LET IT BE. Also, the compilation album called ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC was a tremendous hit.

By 1978 I was 16 and catching up with all the solo albums. Since this time I have bought all the new solo releases as they were made and released. John Lennon became my idol, and I wanted him very much to come out and record some new music. I'll never forget the first time I discovered PLASTIC ONO BAND when I was 16 and going through teenage troubles. It was like John knew and felt exactly what I was going through. It was the most intense and personal listening experience I've ever had with a record.

By 1980 I graduated high school and went to work - just in time to hear that John was recording again!!!!!! 

Then ---- December 8th, 1980.  :(

Rowdy

• Getting Better
Re: Year of birth/How you became a Beatles Fan
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 03:45:44 AM »

Born in 1985. Became a fan in the fall of 2002 after purchasing Abbey Road from a Wal-Mart.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 10:59:31 AM »

Born in 1974, Discovered 'A Hard Day's Night' LP when I was 5, in my mum and dads record collection. Then had the British 'Red Album' 62-66 on cassette. Then went mad and decided I needed to own the whole lot!
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 02:10:49 PM »

Born in 1984, fan since 1996 when my dad bought the 'Anthology 2' cd

---powered by Moondogs®---

StrawberryFieldsforMe

• One And One Is Two
    • Teens X
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 02:52:32 PM »

I was born in 1990.

I became a Beatles fan the same day I became a Pink Floyd fan. I think it was January of 2002, when Dave Gilmour in Concert was released. I watched the DVD, and was memorized.
Later that day I was digging through some of my dad's old records and found the White Album. I listened to it and became an instant fan.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 08:22:07 PM »

Born in 1978. Became a fan in 1994 when I was doing a project on music for my grade eleven Social Studies class.

ringorama

• A Beginning
  • Control yourself, you'll spurt
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 09:07:46 PM »

1987, been a fan since 1987. I was born and raised on the Beatles thanks to my Mom

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 09:38:22 PM »

GREAT stories, folks! :) It's nice to know that younger people today can still be so affected by the music and hooked, even just hearing albums fresh for the first time!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 12:17:26 AM »

I was born in 1978. I always liked the Beatles, for as long as I can remember. I don't remember discovering the Beatles, they were always there. I had a few Beatles albums (even though I wasn't a big fan, I just liked them) when I was 16, but then I got heavily into punk rock and hardcore (which I still am) and sold them all because I didn't want to listen to anything else than punk rock and hardcore. This went on for a couple of years. About 3 years ago I started listening to pop music again and re-discovered the Beatles. It wasn't until then that I really realized just how great they were and that many of their album tracks were at least as brilliant as the songs I knew from the radio, so in no time I bought all of their albums and they became my favorite band.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 12:27:15 AM »

69' and started to listen to my sisters 62-66 double red album and Sgt. Peppers when I was around 6 yrs old. Rest is history.

daytrip202

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 07:04:31 AM »

Born in 1984, fan since somewhere between the release of Anthology 2 and 3 on CD.  I think that is somewhere around 1996.  My best friend at the time and I new someone who just kind of liked the Beatles, and we made fun of her for it (after all, how could it be cool to like what your parents like when you are just starting the teenage years).  After a little while, my friend started to like them, and I made fun of him for it.  However, they were always on when I went anywhere in his family's car.  I liked it, and I bought the second Anthology (not knowing anything about it, didn't realize that they were outakes etc).  It was only the third album I had bought.  I will not disclose the identity of the first two as they are too embarrasing.  In any case, I absolutely fell in love with the music, and have been a huge fan ever since. 
STILL p*ssED AT YOKO

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

Born in 1981, became a fan around 88, when I first saw 'Help'.

John@work

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 04:06:09 PM »

Born in 67'.    Been a fan since 5 years old when I borrowed my sister's Hey Jude "45".  I remember watching the Apple go round and round on the record player.
A working class hero is something to be...

John Lennon

Stratford

• A Beginning
  • Young and unlearned
    • Lair of tilly
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 05:02:19 PM »

Born 1987. I grew up listening to lots of '60s and '50s music thanks to my parents, with the big exception of Beatles (according to my mum because she never could forgive Magical Mystery Tour).

Strangely, my knowledge of the Beatles have always had a direct link with teachers.

When I was around ten I had this utterly insane music teacher who decided that Modern music class should deal mostly with the Paul is Dead conspiracy. Yup, not the music, but all the creepy "clues". Scared the living daylight out of us - backward messages, mirror images, whatnot. What is a poor ten-year-old supposed to think?

A few years ago (about fifteen years old) I had a very dear teacher, Mr. Hall, who absolutely loves the Beatles. I remember the exact day he put on Blackbird and told us "This is what music should be like. It's supposed to affect you, you have to feel each chord and syllable in your heart."

Last year's summer I heard Blackbird playing through an open window, and that brought the memories back to me. I bough Sgt. Pepper, which started the whole avalanche. The rest, as they say, is history ;)

I now have a very cool math teacher who's an absolute Beatle nut, great company. I've threatened to break into his house and steal his Beatles autographs (yes, all four)...
You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly.
George Harrison[/righ

dr.robert

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 11:10:17 PM »

I was born in the semi dark ages. 1952. I was staying at my grandparents and i thought my 16 year old aunt was going off the deep end because she spent that entire day  of feb.9,1964 going beserk about these Beatles that were going to be on ed sullivan that night. I was only 11 and just wanted to go and play.I'd never heard of them and had no interest. About a half hour before the show came on she came running down the street to where i was playing and told me i had to get home because they would be on soon. She yelled, pleaded and told me i would regret it forever if i missed this. After making me feel guilty about all she'd done for me and to please do her this one favor, i agreed and went back. thank heavens i did. they changed the world and me that night.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 11:38:00 PM »

born in 89 . I saw a group in 2002 called yesterday that plays beatles songs in concerts. They try to copy the beatles. They sounded realy good. So i started listening to them. Before this time i thought the beatles were horrible.

Paul McCartney :)

sexy sadie

• Getting Better
  • once there was a way to get back home...
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 11:49:29 PM »

i was born in 1989. i've been an on and off beatles fan since i was born because my parents are such huge fans. when i was younger they would play "obla-di, obla-da" and they said i would dance around the living room...i think that's why it's one of my favorite songs today, haha. i kinda forgot about them 4 awhile until 3rd grade, and i started remembering some songs from a kid and i learned some new ones. i 4got about them again up until recently when we played their songs @ a family picnic, i knew them all by heart.
Ashley*

one sweet dream, pick up the bags and get in the limousine. soon we'll be away from here. step on the gas and wipe that tear away. one sweet dream came true today...

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8264/jsj21oc.jpg[/img

Bobcat

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 04:44:21 AM »

Born 1987, i've been listning to them all my life, my dad and bro being huge fans too and playin them all the time. I started really getting into their music in about 95 though, when i discovered my dads bealtes albums, and played them non-stop.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 07:34:31 PM »

1967- I became a Beatles fan due to my dad playing the ealier records. So from about the time i was three i liked the music, But in 1975 i saw the movie "Help" on the "late show" and for those who are too young to remember, the "late show" used to be the movies shown after 11:30pm (not anything to do with

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 08:21:02 PM »

I was born in 89 (14).  I discovered the Beatles in 2003.  I had just broken my ankle and was digging around to look for some different music.  I came across my dads copy of Forty Licks, which i fell in love with. Eventually after loving the Stones so much i branched out, rediscovered all my old Beatles stuff and havent looked back.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 92 queries.