Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need help with chord in "There's a Place"  (Read 1579 times)

JimDep

• One And One Is Two
Need help with chord in "There's a Place"
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »

Greetings, new member here, long time Beatles Fan

I play bass (lefty) and learning guitar. The first chord in the intro is an E, however the first harmonica note (or guitar) in the melody clashes a little with an E major.  (An E maj 7 )

Is it better to play an Emaj 7, an E 5 (power chord) or just keep it an E Maj? Thanks for your help!

peterbell1

• Getting Better
Re: Need help with chord in "There's a Place"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »

You're right that the harmonica plays the Eflat note alongside the E chord on the guitar, making it sound like an Emaj7. But, to me, the guitar seems to be playing a straight E chord.
However, if I was playing that myself, with no harmonica, I'd be tempted to play the Emaj7 chord, just to replicate that little harmonica riff that is on the record. But if you are playing with a harmonica or keyboard or whatever, with someone to play that Eflat note for you, then just stick to a straight E chord on guitar.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »

I relistened to this last night. Peter is right. There is some tension between the chord and the harmonica, but that's just something I like. Makes it more interesting to listen to.

JimDep

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »

Thanks very much Bobber and Peter.

Your suggestion about keeping the chord a straight E Maj makes sense. Playing a E Maj 7 sounds too pretty or jazzy for a combo but playing it solo would make sense for trying to cover a lot of ground. Trying it again, I think that putting more emphasis on the lower notes of the chord instead of ringing the high B and E string helps in blend better.

Anyway, I have more confidence with the chord now. Thanks!

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 37 queries.