Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles biggest competitors from 1965 to 1969  (Read 2506 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Beatles biggest competitors from 1965 to 1969
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »

We all know that the Beatles dominated the rock music scene during the 60's, but they also had top competitors during those years. These are artists who in my opinion approached or equaled the level of the Fab Four each year from 1965 to 1969; I took into account factors such as innovation, quality and quantity of released material.

1965: The Byrds. This band defined folk rock with their excellent debut album: Mr. Tambourine Man, which was a big influence for Rubber Soul. They also released a second album the same year with a similar sound: Turn! Turn! Turn!.

1966: The Beach Boys. This was a marvelous year for rock music, but only Pet Sounds could compete with the magnificence of Revolver.

1967: The Doors. A difficult election because of all the great music that appeared that year, but the Doors released (in my opinion) their two best albums of their career: their self-titled debut and Strange Days.

1968: The Rolling Stones. After following the Beatles the previous years, with good but not as great imitations, the Stones came back to their origins and recorded a sequence of wonderful albums, starting this year with Beggars Banquet (plus the single "Jumping Jack Flash").

1969: The Who. This year saw the release of the definitive rock opera: Tommy. I even think that the B-side of Abbey Road was pretty much influenced by that album.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:40:47 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
Re: Beatles biggest competitors from 1965 to 1969
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »

Jimi Hendrix.  icon_king

Oh and the Monkees!  ;D
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »

Jimi Hendrix.

Of course, Jimi Hendrix should be mentioned, especially in 1967. Jefferson Airplane released two important albums that year too.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:11:26 PM »

Cream.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 10:40:49 PM »

Yes definitely Cream, its hard to remember...

Simon & Garfunkel, Procal Harem, Deep Purple, The BeeGees, Fleetwood Mac
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »

They were challenged throughout their careers which is why the Sixties were so vibrant and ground breaking; everyone was upping the ante and forcing each other's hand in a healthy, creative game of oneupmanship.

Even back in '63 The Dave Clark Five's "Tottenham Sound" was giving "Merseybeat" a run for its money.

One thing no one could accuse the 60s of (well, after '62 for sure) was being stale. The Beatles were lucky to emerge in that greenhouse of talent and opportunity, and the 60s were in turn lucky to have them.

Led Zeppelin would have a good shout on 1969... they represented something of a sea change I suppose... wasn't it "Led Zeppelin II" which toppled "Abbey Road" from number one on the album charts? They became colossal as the 70s dawned and The Beatles bowed out.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »

I'd say Zep's debut was earth-shaking. Sure, they 'borrowed' a lot from classic blues but really gave it power with a style of their own. I was a fan from the start.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »

I'd say Zep's debut was earth-shaking. Sure, they 'borrowed' a lot from classic blues but really gave it power with a style of their own. I was a fan from the start.

My 2nd fav band!  icon_king
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 54 queries.