Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mystery Demo  (Read 831 times)

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
Mystery Demo
« on: March 12, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »

I was going to put this in the "Before they were Famous" thread as a maybe. But I think it needs a thread of its own, because I wanted to get some opinions on it from any Kate Bush fans on the forum (I hope there are some). The source is an acetate disc with an EMI label, with no artist's name, and no date, that was recently put up for sale on Ebay. The seller suggested it was an early demo of Kate Bush, and someone paid around 100 pounds for it. But is it Kate? I won't give my opinion until I've heard yours.

4fWwXo7lJU8

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Mystery Demo
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »

DaveRam? There was a huge Kate Bush fan in here, but I can't remember whether it was Dave or John aka mr kite.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »

John was a big fan and maybe dave is too - to my ears it is Kate Bush showing her love for The Beatles ;)- the bit that seals for me is around 48-50 the little dip in here pitch.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:15:20 AM »

She was signed by EMI when she was 16 - 3 years before Wuthering Heights. She used her advance to study at the Lindsy Kemp school, whilst making demo's. This is obviously one of them.

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »

Hmm, interesting. I don't think it's Kate myself, although I agree her voice sounds quite Kate-like. At first I thought it was her, but repeated hearings made me more and more sure that it wasn't. But if it is her, it certainly isn't her own song. Musically and lyrically, the standard is way below her for inventiveness and originality. The lyrics are pretty trite, and the music follows chordal progressions that any decent musician could write in his sleep. That quirky individuality that we associate with Kate, and that is evident even on her earliest (bootleg) demos, is completely missing. And the arrangement is pretty awful, with that guitar's reverb turned full up. It makes your ears ring. But if it is her doing a cover, I'd have to wonder why she'd cover what is not just a poor song, but an unknown song. Google for it: it doesn't exist. It really doesn't make sense for her to do something so out of style with her own work. And bass-guitarist Del Palmer, who has worked with her closely for 30 years replied to someone on a Kate Bush forum, saying it definitely wasn't her. So as far as I'm concerned, it's settled. But Kate Bush fans too often believe what they want to believe, and there are die-hards who insist it's her, despite what Del says. I just thought it would be interesting to find out what people on this forum thought.

Page created in 1.004 seconds with 44 queries.