Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Covid 19 while at home playlist - "one per"  (Read 2228 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Covid 19 while at home playlist - "one per"
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:27:39 PM »

Being safely (hopefully) tucked away at home during these virus ridden times I was watching youtube videos, started seeing compilations people have made on the beatles etc and even though this probably has been done here, many times, lets do it again.

Make a compilation from the released “real” albums only (US for me) , but choose one from each album.  Only one. 

Make it your favorite from each, not necessarily the “best” or most telling of that timeframe, just your favorite.  Don’t worry about balancing composers, making the compilation “flow”. 

Just choose your favorite from each, in order of release.

Here is my list:

Twist and Shout - yeah, a cover, but I have so many memories related to listening to this, the explosive raw energy John (mainly) put into this.  I saw her standing there would be my backup.

It Won’t be Long - I would imagine many might go with All my Loving, which is fantastic and iconic in the rise of the Beatles, for me I always enjoyed It won’t be long, the rhythm especially.

I Should Have Known Better - Wish this had been on the Red album and I would have discovered it sooner in my early Beatle awareness times.  It was something I was relatively unaware of when i began getting albums and going deeper.  Wow, when John hits the lead into the chorus ,” That when I tell you…” and the high notes he hits, wonderful song.  Things we said today would be my backup, hard but every time I hear this song I smile.

Eight Days a Week - cliche beatles song for sure, love the intro, hand claps are maybe too much overdone but hey, great pop song.  My backup on this album would be Rock and Roll Music, another cover, but wow, what a spin they did on that one.

Ticket to Ride - the imagery from the movie, when it is played sticks out in my mind, I believe Paul (maybe all of them) riding horses in the snow, ascending (metaphorically?) up a peak.  This made it to many more mix tapes I made in the 80’s than other songs on this great, underrated album.  Second choice would be a toss up for me between You’re going to lose that girl and Yesterday.

Norwegian Wood - probably throughout the 90’s and through most of the 2000’s this was my #1 Beatle song and made it on every mix cd (see how I evolved).  Still in my top 5 or top 10.  I have a son with autism, when he was aged 2 or 3 maybe I used to sing (poorly) this to him at bedtime most nights.  Special place for me.  Second choice off Rubber Soul would be tough choice but likely Nowhere Man for the harmonies, love them.

Eleanor Rigby - somewhere high in my top 5 Beatle songs (if I list more than 5 in my top 5 I apologize, you get it).  This truly hits a nerve for me when I listen to it.  Checks so many boxes for attributes I love in songs.  Second from Revolver is hard for me, there are a number of songs that have distinct memories attached from long ago but I will say #2 is Taxman.

A Day In The Life - not even close despite many great songs.  Composition with the middle part breaking up the other two, fantastic, an element I love in songs - having ridiculous changes in tempo and tone within a single song.  Second choice would go to Sgt Pepper and with a little help IF I can combine them, if not, 2nd choice would likely be She’s Leaving Home.

This brings us to the point in the program that we have to mention singles.  Yeah, could have mentioned this in the earlier days too as many great songs were singles.  Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane will be in the field to choose from for Magical Mystery Tour but also released as singles.  She Loves you , Hey Jude, and so many others ignored in a list like this.  Tangent over, back to the task…

I am the Walrus - blasphemy I know, right?  Strawberry Fields Forever and/or Penny Lane be damned.  All three reside somewhere in my top 10 and probably have equal contributions over the years on mix tapes/cds/playlists.  I am the walrus just goes somewhere most other songs don’t and I love listening to it.

Rocky Raccoon - so I believe I will be the only one to choose this from the White Album.  This captured my heart while in my late teens, early 20’s and for some reason, has been on so many mixes over the years, in fact, I just made a couple mix playlists for my recent ski trip to Colorado, Rocky made it on that.  Second place would be While My Guitar Gently Weeps (sorry Todd).   So many choices, musically I love the tone of the music in this choice as my 2nd.

Hey Bulldog - I include Yellow Submarine just because, Hey Bulldog has a running rhythm that is so energetic and fun.  Second choice , easily for me could have been first, is All you need is love.  I embrace the concept of writing a song for a world wide broadcast and to represent the Beatles, very cool.  Wish some great songs were being made now while artists are being locked up at home, not crap like most of today’s music but some good ROCK.  PSA over.

Here Comes The Sun - top 5 song for me for many many years.  Has been my phone ringtone for at least 10 consecutive years (easy to make your own ringtones btw- if you don’t know how I could post instructions).  #2 for me is Something (both George songs!).  Others will likely have Come Together, something (no pun) about come together never has allowed it to climb on my top lists, can’t put my finger on it.  I respect it, like it, but rarely have loved it.  The medley makes it hard to elevate a single song, possibly Golden Slumbers as its own song could have, I am with many others that wish Golden Slumbers was at some point made into a full song.  Perfect in the medley but wow, potentially something epic like ADITL.

Let it Be - this song helped me through a tough patch back in the 80’s and still resonates for me as an all-timer.  Second would be Get Back for me, I’ve got a feeling would challenge Get Back however

so to conclude, here is my “album”:

Twist and Shout
It Won’t be Long
I should have known better
Eight days a week
Ticket to Ride
Norwegian Wood
Eleanor Rigby
A day in the life
I am the walrus
Rocky Raccoon
Hey Bulldog
Here Comes the Sun
Let it be

Here is a link to my playlist on spotify:  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7b4mxUtNtUMbFwvki05OS7?si=VjYN1GIhQNaJJEv4J2QYTw

Bobber

Re: Covid 19 while at home playlist - "one per"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »

My pick:

Please Please Me - I take There's A Place. A sign of things to come.
With The Beatles - Until I knew better, I always thought that It Won't Be Long was a single. Or a great song by another band. I was excited when I found out it actually was The Beatles.
A Hard Day's Night - A bit of a forgotten song, but I always come back to I'll Be Back. A lot of great song on this album tho. I could pick almost every other song on the album.
Beatles For Sale - I like the first three of the A-side, with I'm A Loser slightly favourite. But the best song on the album for me is I Don't Want To Spoil The Party, with that great middle eight.
Help! - This one is harder. I like the title song and It's Only Love. Yesterday is lovely, but overplayed. I pick You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.
Rubber Soul - A tough one for this is my favourite album. So many great songs. Unlike lots of other people, I really like Wait. John's songs stand out a bit here. Let's go for The Word.
Revolver - Taxman is great. And Got To Get You Into My Life. But the song I really dig is I'm Only Sleeping.
Sgt. Pepper. A Day In The Life is the obvious song. But I'm going for Getting Better.
White Album - Aah, this can't be done. Almost random. Martha My Dear
Abbey Road - Easy. Here Comes The Sun
Let It Be - Not much of my taste on the album. The Long And Winding Road

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:41 AM »

Mine are:

Please Please Me - There's A Place.  It's a mature song and as Cor said, it heralded things to come.
With The Beatles - Not A Second Time.  Another mature song not aimed at the existing Beatlemania.
A Hard Day's Night - Any Time At All.  I always liked this song as it conveyed love in a sense of giving.
Beatles For Sale - Eight Days A Week because of the fade-in intro and fade-out outro.  I was impressed by that the very first time I heard the song.
Help! - I've Just Seen A Face.  Paul captured the feelings I felt the first time I fell in love.  It was also one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar.
Rubber Soul - Nowhere Man because of its lyrical content and George's guitar solo.
Revolver - For No One.  This is how I felt when my first girlfriend broke up with me.
Sgt. Pepper. My favorite song on this album has always been Fixing A Hole.
White Album - While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  It's one of George's finest compositions.
Abbey Road - Here Comes The Sun, again one of George's best., followed closely by The Medley.
Let It Be - Get Back.  I didn't care much for this album
The Beatles Again (Hey Jude) - Paperback Writer, because Frère Jacques is in it.   ;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 12:53:30 AM »

Ok

Please Please Me; what a great single
Please Mr Postman; always loved this showcase of the Beatles carrying off a girl group song
If I Fell; something soppy to deepen the mood
No Reply; great song on a patchy album
You’re Going to Lose that Girl; a few possible choices, could have picked three or four, love the call and response here.
Nowhere Man; love the energy and harmonies on this one, and the solo, could have picked almost any song on this LP
And Your Bird Can Sing; narrowly beating out several other tracks
A Day in the Life; not a huge contest her, always loved this
Strawberry Fields; hard to pass up I am the Walrus or Penny Lane but choices have to be made
While My Guitar Gently Weeps; White Album very hard to narrow down, love the oomph Eric gives this
Here Comes the Sun; an all time favourite, hard to go past even though lots of good tracks on the album
I’ve Got Feeling; nice “final” collaboration between John and Paul.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 03:58:23 AM »

Oops. Left off Yellow Submarine. Toss up between Hey Bulldog and Its All too Much.  Probably opt for Hey Bulldog on this occasion.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:46 AM »

Oops. Left off Yellow Submarine. Toss up between Hey Bulldog and Its All too Much.  Probably opt for Hey Bulldog on this occasion.

I never considered that a real album to be honest. But I have to, I would pick Hey Bulldog as well. Magical Mystery Tour was on original EP. Later on it was presented as an album with some additions. Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane are my picks there.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »

I Saw Her Standing There
Dont Bother Me
Things We Said Today
I'm A Loser
The Night Before
Think For Yourself
Got To Get You Into My Life
Getting Better
Blue Jay Way
Long Long Long
Its All Too Much
Octopus's Garden
I Me Mine

Not my favorites on each album, but the flavor i'm feeling right now.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 10:32:28 PM »

Hmmmmm... I'd have to go with the following:

Please Please Me: The title track. Just a long-time favorite of mine.

With the Beatles: Please Mr. Postman. Love the energy of this!

A Hard Day's Night: I Should Have Known Better. This conjures up many good memories, plus it's a great song.

Beatles For Sale: Baby's in Black. I'v always loved the sound of this. Those harmonies!

Help!: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. Adore John's vocals.

Rubber Soul: Gotta be Girl. This song struck me hard the first time I heard it. I really love it's mournful simplicity.

Revolver: This was a tough one, but I'm gonna go with And Your Bird Can Sing.

Sgt. Pepper: Definitely Fixing a Hole. So upbeat.

White Album: Happiness Is a Warm Gun. I'm not a big fan of this LP, but this is one of the tracks I genuinely like.

Abbey Road: The Medley.

Let It Be: Two of Us. Again, this LP is not a favorite of mine, but I've always found this song soothing and pleasant.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 04:14:00 AM »

From the UK albums..

Please Please Me: Toss up between Ask Me Why and Misery, Ill go with Ask Me Why, its such a clever song, for such a young writer. Unusual time signature, Its has some Jazzy leanings (which I always like) and even though its in a major key it keeps leaning towards towards its relative minor, verses seem to have 3 different variants........and I love the line "I Love You...Cos You Tell Me Things I Want To Know" very selfish but very true it has to be said :) I believe its primarily Johns song, its musically very mature for an inexperienced songwriter.

With the Beatles: 4 contenders here, Not A Second Time, All Ive Gotta Do, more unusual complex writing ala Ask Me Why, brilliant songs, as is All My Loving, which is more straightforward in terms of a great pop song. But I have to go with It Wont Be Long. Such a powerful, smack you in the face blockbuster of a song, Johns superb vocal. Shouldve been a single.

A Hard Day's Night: Very difficult, getting harder to pick one...I Should Have Known Better. just brilliant songwriting, flowing with seamless harmonies, they were on fire at this stage, loving every minute, If I Fell and Ill Be Back are personal favourites, as is And I Love Her, but narrowly lose out. I love this whole album

Beatles For Sale: This is one of my favourite albums, it evokes such great memories of the Christmas my big brother got it. Absolutely love Eight Days A Week and Im A Loser, also Baby's In Black but I have to go with No Reply, moody sad and poignant, but the main reason is that middle 8, If I were you, Id realize That I etc. this section of harmonising makes the hairs on my neck stand up :) It has such power, Brilliant songwriting and performance.

Help!: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and the title track, cant decide really, Ill go with Help. Purely for its impact, both songs have masterful songwriting. Help also has great harmonies. Well not really harmonies but answering background vocals by Paul and George.

Rubber Soul: 3 contenders for me, Norwegian Wood, In My Life and Girl. Im gonna go with Norwegian Wood. I love songs containing poetic lyrics and song titles that suggest a fleeting moment and evoke a feeling within a situation. We all know the story behind the song, John tells a story, a simple story of going back to someone's flat, but oddities emerge, he notices there are no chairs, they don't make love, he sleeps in the bath, but they discuss, "talked until two" whilst drinking her wine.
Its a magical story that John weaves, we know the basics but gaps in the narrative leave us to imagine the situation. Some of us have been in a similar situation.
And then that final line "Isnt it good......…..Norwegian Wood"
Why mention the wood ? Maybe in his memory, (semi lucid memory with the wine), the pine wood featured strongly.

Sorry, meandering thoughts. :)

Revolver: John and Pauls songs getting more and more different. Paul the melodic conformist songsmith, John the more experimental unconformist. She Said She Said is my pick. Again a song born from another situation which rang profoundly on John, Peter Fonda's insistence that he knew what it was like to be dead. Probably from an LSD trip. But John magically turned it into a surreal piece of music with differing time signatures, and like Norwegian Wood the listener had no idea what he was singing about upon release, but when we did it revealed how observant and perceptive John was.
Other strong contenders, For No One, Michelle, Tomorrow Never Knows.

Sgt. Pepper: Where do you start ? A Day In The Life, has to be, got to be. A Tour de Force. Brilliant, inventive, creative and graceful. I do like George's contribution though. But...."4000 Holes in Blackburn Lancashire". Who else could put those words in a such a wonderful song ? John being surreal again.

White Album: Im gonna go with Dear Prudence, another Lennon mystery, who was she, why wouldn't she come out to play. We all now know but another instance of oblique storytelling, gets me every time, powerfully and wonderfully sung. It builds and builds until the tension is lifted with the fading gentility it starts with.

Abbey Road: The Medley. I love it, a very fitting epilog to their years of sublime creativity, as reached by none other. It just sings from the start with Pauls You Never Give Me Your Money and takes us through a kaleidoscope of uplifting joy. Ill never get sick of it, Im so glad they finished with this. Marvelous production as well from George Martin. Its still sounds so fresh like they did it last week ! The 50th edition portrays this wonder even more. Thank you Giles.

Let It Be: Some wonderful songs on here, songs that would make another bands career, Look at the rooftop performance for proof of that. For me Pauls title track wins it. Ive always loved it in a similar way that I love Hey Jude or Fool On The Hill. Pauls gift for melody coming to the fore once again. Paul had taken over the band now in terms of musical direction and output, Johns head seemed to be filled with a Japanese 'artist' and his contribution to LIB was limited, I do love his Across The Universe though.

Great thread, Ive enjoyed reading and contributing to it. Thank you Meanie :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:23:11 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 1.071 seconds with 54 queries.