Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: vanity or what?  (Read 2549 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
vanity or what?
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:20:28 AM »

i was wondering today do you think ringo and paul use their names in their bands name to promote themselves or the band?
george the modest son of a gun he  called his the travling wilburys instead of george harrison and........unlike ringo starrs' all star band or paul mccartney and wing or even john lennon and the plastic ono band.would these groups sold less  records if named otherwise?
i see vanity written all over........

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: vanity or what?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 01:39:18 AM »

Themselves. Even in Ringos case, the majority of the music that will be played is his. An example is Wings. Paul put his name in front so that the public would take notice. Even if they didnt play any Beatle songs during their concerts, people were still going to show up because it was Paul. Not many were there for the drummer and the Dennys.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 02:10:24 AM »

fans go because of paul, thats what i think not for the other uknown

Paul McCartney :)

Stratford

• A Beginning
  • Young and unlearned
    • Lair of tilly
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 01:38:01 PM »

Agree with tkitna - whereas Wings was short put "Paul McCartney, his wife and one or several unknown guys", Travelling Wilburys was a line of big stars - you couldn't put one guy in front. Paul McCartney was the real star of Wings and therefore the focal point (what would Wings have been without him?). No worse than Buddy Holly and the Crickets...
You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly.
George Harrison[/righ

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 04:24:19 PM »

I agree with all of you. In the case of JOHN and his plastic, well, I guess as usual he had the ida for the group, he called the stars and so he named the band after his own proper name.
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »

revamp.....

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:02:42 AM »

ooh another rehashed one....

I think it has to do with the fact that the band members were/are changing through the years

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:17:08 AM »

I thought Wings started out as "Wings" and the "Paul McCartney and..." was added a little later.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:19:28 AM »

Quote from: The_End
I thought Wings started out as "Wings" and the "Paul McCartney and..." was added a little later.

Same. and I thought the pressure to put Macca's name on the cover came from the company.
don't follow leaders

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »

It was Wings before Paul McCartney & Wings. Wild life came out as Wings Wild life. He was pressured by the company to put his name first. He changed that when Wings came out with Wings At the speed of sound and Wings Over America.

Paul never wanted to be the main star of the show. Thats why he gave everyone a chance to write their own music and sing. Venus and Mars and At the speed of sound shows that he was trying to be democratic. I guess he was trying not to make the same mistake he did with his other band.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »

Quote from: Wordno
It was Wings before Paul McCartney & Wings. Wild life came out as Wings Wild life. He was pressured by the company to put his name first. He changed that when Wings came out with Wings At the speed of sound and Wings Over America.

Paul never wanted to be the main star of the show. Thats why he gave everyone a chance to write their own music and sing. Venus and Mars and At the speed of sound shows that he was trying to be democratic. I guess he was trying not to make the same mistake he did with his other band.
come on paul knew he was paul and everybody knew who wings were....it was a fact he wanted a low profile...after all he broke the beatles up...didn't he?he he he...no i don't believe he did it...alone anyways...there were other willing parties involved...but he went around playing small clubs and such...billing as unknown band names....believe me if paul said being an x beatles has held him back...i could believe that...but i also know he languishes in being quite well known...he is a hobnobber after all..and i guess he deserves his spotlight...but noone of us paves his road alone...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 04:41:34 PM »

Quote from: pc31
i was wondering today do you think ringo and paul use their names in their bands name to promote themselves or the band?
george the modest son of a gun he
don't follow leaders

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »

he instigated it with jeff and bob why not get top billing???i don't think george thought he was better than any of the others...he thought in terms of as good i think...less pressure than being singled out too i think...like when electra want the doors to be called jim morrison and the doors....he said we're a band man!!!not a solo....

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 11:59:28 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

Could he have claimed dominance?

I dont think so and I dont want to sound biased, but,,,,,,,,

he was a Beatle.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 12:42:04 AM »

Quote from: pc31
george the modest son of a gun he

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 10:42:49 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

In this case anyway. But didn't Paul just start out as just Wings and add the Paul McCartney thing later?

Yeah he did. His first Wings album was called 'Wings Wild Life"

Thats the album cover of Wild Life. He also did the same thing with 'At the speed of sound' calling it 'Wings At the speed of sound'

Page created in 0.6 seconds with 78 queries.