Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Big name groups you never got into.  (Read 1569 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Big name groups you never got into.
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2021, 12:10:41 AM »

This is going to sound a bit like one of those “they were better when…” posts, but I think AC/DC had some self aware humour in the early days with Bon Scott as lead singer. They didn’t seem to take themselves too seriously. Once they got globally huge after Scott’s death they have, as you say, pretty much just repeated the same album over and over. This was a lesson drummed into them by their early producers/ writers, Vanda and Young. These guys were the writers in the Easybeats and they believed they cruelled their chances for sustained success after Friday on My Mind by being too varied in the type of material they released. It’s a lesson AC/DC have taken very much to heart.

Eh, I dont know enough to debate you Moog, but i'm not sure I understand.  Besides the Youngs being brothers, what did the two bands have in common?  I love the Easybeats and have a couple of their records, but they were a melodic garage band, while AC/DC was a straight forward, hard rock band.  Yes Angus had a niche with his school boy costume and such, but like Kiss, the gimmick was used to push the bands popularity.  The whole Bon Scott versus Brian Johnson doesnt hold clout with me because I cant tell the difference.  The band sang goofy, weird songs throughout their entire catalog.  I guess I just cant see any difference.  They always were the same throughout their entire career to me.  They never progressed, only always staying the same.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 12:27:07 AM »

Bob Seger - I've actually left bars and parties because people have put him on.  I'll send sexist here, but I always felt Seger was milquetoast rock and roll that only girls could like.  I can tolerate one song and its actually two tunes put together - live version of 'Beautiful Loser/Travelin Man and thats it.

i have a Seger story for you- high school senior prom, my girlfriend of 2 years danced with another guy (didn't bother me until I was told it was the last song/slow one) , turn the page from memory.  I was a jerk I'm sure but never could listen to Seger again after that. 

Fast forward to my wedding, the DJ asked about the usual, 1st dance song, dance with parents songs, etc.  asked if any special requests to play or avoid, so I said, under no conditions, no Bob Seger.  Simple instructions, the only one so not overly confusing.  During the reception, Old time rock and roll comes on...I say to my wife, he just blew his tip.  She thought I was kidding.  I skimmed some of the tip out of the envelopes we had pre-setup before the big day.  Oh well.  So sad.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 12:28:14 AM »

Eh, I dont know enough to debate you Moog, but i'm not sure I understand.  Besides the Youngs being brothers, what did the two bands have in common?  I love the Easybeats and have a couple of their records, but they were a melodic garage band, while AC/DC was a straight forward, hard rock band.  Yes Angus had a niche with his school boy costume and such, but like Kiss, the gimmick was used to push the bands popularity.  The whole Bon Scott versus Brian Johnson doesnt hold clout with me because I cant tell the difference.  The band sang goofy, weird songs throughout their entire catalog.  I guess I just cant see any difference.  They always were the same throughout their entire career to me.  They never progressed, only always staying the same.

Oh you’re right they didn’t have anything in common as bands. I liked the Easybeats too and was never fan of AC/DC. Just that Vanda and Young’s early influence on the band as producers  shaped their thinking on not moving out of their comfort zone. Which they’ve done.

I think lyrically their earlier stuff seemed a bit more playful and less earnest. But I haven’t really listened to too much stuff closely since back in black so might be off base.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 01:04:33 AM by Moogmodule »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 12:32:23 AM »

I'm shocked by some of the mentions in here.

Maybe, maybe it is the definition of "never got into" ??

i.e. The Rolling Stones - I  never got into them BUT I respect and like a lot in the catalogue - I just cannot listen to more than a couple songs back to back before needing a break.  Do the Stones make it to my "never got into" list even though I like many songs?
Ok let's qualify the term or the description by saying you never bought any of their records, and from what you heard you didn't like their albums
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 12:44:32 AM »

That’s just how I interpreted it. I think it’s valid to say you could like a few things by a band but just not get into them much more than that. I just like things black and white  ;D
The whole premise of the thread was kind of like your sat in the pub with a handful of friends ...one of them says *I was just listening too sticky fingers by The Rolling Stones* someone else says *I never got into the Rolling Stones* meaning they didn't really appeal to that person although one or two songs might have appealed, loosely.
As simple as that  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 12:48:04 AM »

Right, Kev.  You know me well and how I think.   :)
I would never put Queen on your exceptions list Baz, but what about The Bangles ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 01:03:01 AM »

The whole premise of the thread was kind of like your sat in the pub with a handful of friends ...one of them says *I was just listening too sticky fingers by The Rolling Stones* someone else says *I never got into the Rolling Stones* meaning they didn't really appeal to that person although one or two songs might have appealed, loosely.
As simple as that  ;D

Like I said. I like to make things black and white. But only for myself.  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 01:27:36 AM »

I would never put Queen on your exceptions list Baz, but what about The Bangles ?

They're definitely on my exception list, Kev!

I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 05:35:50 AM »

Ah, somebody mentioned Queen.  I never got into them either.  I like songs of theirs, but I would never buy an actual album.  The difference between Queen and some of the other bands i've listed is that I can recognize Queens brillance even though they arent for me.  I struggle sometimes doing that with the other bands I dislike.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 08:37:05 AM »

Fast forward to my wedding, the DJ asked about the usual, 1st dance song, dance with parents songs, etc.  asked if any special requests to play or avoid, so I said, under no conditions, no Bob Seger. 

ha2ha  I said the exact same thing to our DJ in that meeting! But just because I don't care for Bob Seger, especially "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll," not because any specific memories were attached. I also said no "Celebration" by Kool and The Gang. Yech. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 10:40:08 AM »

Yeah I’ve never got Bob Seger’s appeal.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »

Who's Bob Seger?   ???

;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 02:04:15 AM »

Wait!  Now I remember Bob Seger....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlNyrBD670" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlNyrBD670</a>

icon_good

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2021, 02:13:45 AM »

I wonder if Bob Seger was the Nickelback of the 70s.

Nickleback get a lot of grief but are really popular.  From what Ive heard of them they're not terrible, just bland and not particularly interesting. Standard melodies on standard progressions with lyrics that are competent but are just there to fill out the song. Rock music for people who don't pay that much attention to what they listen to.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 2.42 seconds with 68 queries.