Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unreal  (Read 5415 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Unreal
« on: June 27, 2004, 01:18:18 AM »

Sometimes I sit here and STILL can't believe that John Lennon was shot dead! To me, it still just doesn't seem real.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
Re: Unreal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 02:40:28 AM »

At no point during Lennons life was I alive.  I miss him anyway.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Wayne L.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 11:57:33 AM »

It was a shock to me when I first heard John was killed back in 80 & I listened to his music all day.  It's not too much of a shock now over 20 years later even though it would be interesting seeing Lennon at 64 years old this year if he were alive.

Runforyourlife

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 06:26:08 PM »

I know. Its so depressing to think he's not here. I have such a personal connection to his music, like no other person. I wish he'd be here so *dreaming* of the chance of telling him how much his music has meant to me would be more...plausible...get what I mean?

I think when you see documentaries like the "Imagine" film it just becomes more "real"...so sad. :(

beatlegirl200

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 05:41:17 AM »

I agree that it does become real when you see him in all those home videos in the "Imagine" movie.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 08:22:05 PM »

We lost a lot when we lost John Lennon. My life literally changed, as I was a huge fan of his. When he died I was 18 and had discovered his solo work right about the time he "retired".  So all I ever wanted was for him to make music again. In August 1980, my dream came true -- in December 1980, it became a nightmare.

Runforyourlife

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 08:44:10 PM »

Yeah...I really love John. His music really, really touches me. Many of his songs are like soundtracks to my life sometimes, as cheesy as it sounds. He may have been such a huge superstar, but there are so many elements to his personality that I can relate to. I cried when I saw the VH1 Behind the Music on his last days. It was too much to think his life was cut short in a matter of seconds for no good reason. Just sort of ticks me off and breaks my heart at the same time. :(

ringorama

• A Beginning
  • Control yourself, you'll spurt
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 03:18:58 AM »

Omgoodness, when I heard Beautiful Boy for the first time after I really got into John (I've always been a Beatle fan I just didn't know anything about any of them outside of their being Beatles till this year) I just cried. You know, the whole part about watching Sean come of age and all made me so sad because John seemed like just the greatest dad to Sean and I wished for them that they could have kept that going, ya know? Then when I watched "Imagine" and they talked about his death for me it was like experiencing it for the first time cause I wasn't born in 80 and I cried for a long time. It makes me so mad that one person can be so selfish and take the life of someone that was so loved by the world, that one stupid jerk could break the hearts of so many people so quickly. Ugh, it just makes me p*ssed thinking about it.

Runforyourlife

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 05:34:07 AM »

Oh God...Beautiful Boy is SUCH a gorgeous song. Its just the epitome of beautiful songs-for-your-child. I remember hearing it a lot growing up, but after I'd learned what/who the song was about and for, I absolutely broke down hearing it again with that knowledge.

I really think John was getting his life all sorted out. He was an amazing father to Sean, but he was also getting his priorities together in regards to Julian. I hate when I hear people b**** about John as a father to Julian. NO ONE has the right to except the people involved, because they are the ones who know exactly what happened. I remember reading many accounts from Julian where he explained that his dad and him were getting so close and everything was becoming smooth...and then it was all ruined.

My heart breaks for John, Julian, Sean, Yoko and the rest of his family. So unfair. I can't say that I hate the *person* who did this to John. I really am just angry that it happened to begin with. I used to hate him, but now I'm more in believing that hating won't resolve anything. It won't bring John back.

That does not, however, mean I condemn anyone who DOES hate MDC, not at all man.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 12:18:41 PM »

I hated MDC in the beginning, and I certainly don't like him now. But over the years, as I've seen him in interviews, I just feel like saying to him, "aw, man, I know you were depressed and messed up, but what were you thinking? You blew it for everyone, man".
It's become more like a feeling of "Aw, great. Thanks a lot, jerk .... you screwed up" more than "I hate you". 

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 01:24:26 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1088299098,s=10 date=1089873286]consider the event a tragedy wrought by a mentally sick man.[/quote]

Is he a mentally sick man? I thought he was tried in court as sane. Certainly his actions were that of a sick, deranged individual.

I personally try not to harbour hatred, but I don't know what I'd do if I ever saw this guy on the street - that was not meant to sound melodramatic by the way. I know wouldn't kill him of course.

Hopefully he'll never get out.

ringorama

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 03:30:43 PM »

I agree with everyone when they say they don't have MDC because hate isn't gonna bring John back and it's certainly not gonna make you feel any better, but I'm deffinately pretty angry with the guy. Every time I think about what the world got taken from them when John died I just imagine how many more people, how many kids that weren't around for the Beatles era could have had a chance to get to know John. I'm a teen and most of my friends in school haven't even heard of him, and that makes me sad because when I learnt about John & read stuff he's said it was great because I found someone I could relate to, and because of that one man there's kids out there that will never be able to experience that, and it sucks, and no better way to say it.

I have a question, what was MDC's modivation for killing John? For some reason when I was little & asked my mom why someone would kill John I can remember her saying that he thought he was John or something. Is that true?

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 04:34:29 PM »

I actually have a book called LET ME TAKE YOU DOWN, which was written by MDC's therapist, and I guess I am still on a quest for understanding all these years.

Anyway, with all the psychiatric sessions/reports/MDC interviews, nothing makes sense. The closest thing we can arrive at is that MDC felt John Lennon had become a "phony" in his eyes. That Lennon sang "Imagine no posessions," yet he was rich and all of that stuff (maybe MDC should have realized the guy was saying "IMAGINE we didn't need these things"). He wanted to strike out at someone he felt had lied to him and let him down (yeah, sure - John Lennon - one of the most candid and honest figures we'd ever known).

MDC was depressed, confused, and felt he was a "nobody". In one of his interviews, he said "this nobody wanted to kill that somebody". Another time, I believe shortly after the murder he said in a taped recording, "The Beatles changed the world... and I changed them".

So it amounts to confusion, identity crisis, a need to strike down someone who he felt had let him down as a "phony," and somehow making sense in his own head by sorting it out by killing Lennon. This is as near as I can surmise. It's all insanity. I mean, at least if someone HATED John or his music, you could see what his motivation was. It's still wrong, it's still a crime, it's still insane -- but it makes a little more sense.

MDC has since cleared up, as he seems to be in new interviews. He looks back and realizes it was just a dumb mistake. But just the same, he should never be out of jail forever. Murderers should always pay their debt. No parole. Death Penalty. Whatever.
It's too late for him to realize his error.

Runforyourlife

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 07:56:10 PM »

To Maria: I don't agree with people hating anyone, but I can totally understand someone having a certain amount of hate in a given situation- like John's murder. It was senseless, brutal, and horrific in every aspect of those words. So I can understand people feeling hatred for MDC, and I don't condemn them for it because I choose to have some empathy in that regard.

However, as I said...me, I don't hate him. I just HATE what he did very much. I always will, and I'll somehow always feel that void of John not being here, even if I never knew the man personally.

That is just how much his music, his art, his persona has touched me. Maybe that makes me insane, but I can't deny that that is exactly how I feel.

ringorama

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 08:39:47 PM »

[quote by=Runforyourlife link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1088299098,s=16 date=1089921370]
 That is just how much his music, his art, his persona has touched me. Maybe that makes me insane, but I can't deny that that is exactly how I feel.[/quote]

That doesn't make you insane, not in the least bit. We were all affected by John's life in out own ways. That's why it's so sad that of all people it had to happen to John.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2004, 07:19:37 PM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1088299098,s=13 date=1089902064]That's why Sirhan Sirhan is still sitting in a jail 35 years after killing RFK. [/quote]

I recently saw a documentary about that, and apparently RFK was shot from behind while Sirhan Sirhan was standing in front of him... And no one ever questioned the armed security guard (who was later identified as a guy with right wing sympathies) that in fact was standing behind him.

Runforyourlife

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 01:39:48 AM »

Does it ever get hard for people to listen to some of those Double Fantasy songs because John seems so content in the majority of them? Sometimes they just choke me up...

Watching the Wheels is brilliant, though. God do I love that song. (But I love them all, lol!)

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 10:34:30 AM »

When John was killed, it was really tough to listen to this album. It was all about his being content and "starting Over".

strawb3rryfi3ldsfor3ver

• Getting Better
  • What filthy ways are these?
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 01:48:19 AM »

It's weird...I don't get why someone would kill him. Besides for being ... y'know, John Lennon, the famous man, the musician -- all he wanted was peace and love for the world, down to it.

I wasn't around in the 80's -- never been alive in the same time as John, actually...but this is still one of the saddest things to me. That such a brilliant guy was killed...and it -is- really hard to watch all the documentaries of that...my friend had me download a clip from VH1's Most Shocking Moments thing, and...I couldn't believe it. And then they showed John Lennon, at the piano, playing "Imagine"...made me cry. o_O Wow.

Does it ever get hard for people to listen to some of those Double Fantasy songs because John seems so content in the majority of them? Sometimes they just choke me up...

Exactly. He seems finally at peace, knows where he's going, having a good time...actually, thinking about the songs from Double Fantasy...wonder what he would've done later...? o_o
[face=Courier]Things they do look awful c-c-cold... yeah, I hope I die before I get old.[/face]

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 02:51:51 AM »

[quote by=beatlegirl200 link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1088299098,s=5 date=1088401277]I agree that it does become real when you see him in all those home videos in the "Imagine" movie.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.29 seconds with 78 queries.