Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: It's the Cookery Thread!  (Read 4161 times)

BlueMeanie

It's the Cookery Thread!
« on: June 29, 2007, 09:05:18 AM »

I like a few others on here, I expect, do all the cooking at home (not always by choice), and my collection of cook books is not as comprehensive as it should be :( So come on all you budding Delia's, and Galoping Gourmet's, and post away. Hints, tips, recipies, put it all here.

Now I know that some of you use ounces and pints, some grams and litres, and some (rather strangely, I think) cups. So here's a handy conversion site for you:

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

Let's get cooking!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: It's the Cookery Thread!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »

There was a cookery thread somewhere, right? I can't find it. I'm sorry, but I'll just be moderating this.  ;D   I'm not into cooking at all, although I once posted a recipe for a spacecake somewhere. But to all of those who do enjoy it: enjoy it!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:06:32 AM »

I think we'll need your moderating skills Cor. It could get pretty heated on here. ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »

Fantastic. I've been trying to make vegetarian sausages and meatballs (and using veggies, not meat substitutes) but I can't get the buggers to bind. Last night I quickly deep fried them (balls) to seal them and then cooked them properly later, but there must be a better way (I've tried egg/flour/breadcrumbs).

My handy hint - when cooking spaghetti  give the bunch (?)  a quick twist. When you put them in the pan they fan out and are much easier to prod under the water.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »

Satay Chicken Stir-fry

This is a really quick recipe, about 25 minutes start to finish. Great for midweek.

300g rice (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
6 spring onions cut into 3cm lengths (scallions in the US, I think?)
800g chicken breast fillets, diced
Thai red or green curry paste
90g crunchy peanut butter (1/3 cup)
270ml coconut milk (1 cup)
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

In a wok, stir fry the spring onions in the peanut oil until softened slightly. Remove. Stir fry the chicken until cooked, and remove.

Add a little oil and stir fry the curry paste for about 20 seconds. Add the peanut butter, coconut milk, sugar, and 250ml (1 cup) water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes until thickened. return the chicken and spring onions to the wok and cook for a few minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve on a bed of rice.

Serves 4.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:46:20 AM »

Quote from: 185
Fantastic. I've been trying to make vegetarian sausages and meatballs (and using veggies, not meat substitutes) but I can't get the buggers to bind. Last night I quickly deep fried them (balls) to seal them and then cooked them properly later, but there must be a better way (I've tried egg/flour/breadcrumbs).

What do you put in them? Have you tried cracker crumbs instead of breadcrumbs? And maybe some cottage cheese instead of an egg?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »

Quote from: 483

What do you put in them? Have you tried cracker crumbs instead of breadcrumbs? And maybe some cottage cheese instead of an egg?

I'm trying to use all the left overs from my veggie box. Grated carrot and celery, onion, some chilli and garlic.
I like the cottage cheese idea.
Just trying to think of something different to do with them, and also trying to find a way of coaxing the girlfriend into eating english food. I miss cutting and chewing.
The way we eat fascinates me - chinese with their chopsticks, Indians with their hands, us with our knives. Do we use those implements because of the way food is prepared, or do we prepare our food to suit the implements?
And the chinese eat everything that moves yet Indians are extremely selective in their diet, but both come from cultures that have experienced famine.
I regret that our times of plenty means we have no special food anymore. Feast days are meaningless now. Remember when roast chicken was a big deal on Sundays? Now we can have what we want, when we want it. Boo.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »

Another tip: put sausages and burgers in the fridge for a few hours to firm up. Makes all the difference. I make mine the day before.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »

my food heaven : seafood. Nothing from the ocean I  won't eat. It always tastes so  light and fresh and healthy.
my food hell: lasagna, pasta bake. Reminds me of ghastly student meals.

Favourite ethnic food: Italian, without a doubt. Chinese a  close second.
Least favourite : greek. Too much cheese
don't follow leaders

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »

Is this a private party or can anyone join in?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 11:25:56 AM »

Quote from: 724

You are welcomed with open arms. Spill the beans!
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 11:29:09 AM »

Quote from: 724

Of course! You make the curry and I'll bring the beer.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 11:33:37 AM »

Quote from: 185
my food heaven : seafood. Nothing from the ocean I  won't eat. It always tastes so  light and fresh and healthy.
my food hell: lasagna, pasta bake. Reminds me of ghastly student meals.

Favourite ethnic food: Italian, without a doubt. Chinese a  close second.
Least favourite : greek. Too much cheese

I love pasta bakes! I'm with you on the seafood. If only we had more variety here. Before I moved here I would have said Indian was my favourite food. Well, it is the national dish. But there's a scarcity of decent Indian restaurants here. I've really got into Thai style food over the last few years, and it's pretty easily and quickly cooked yourself, unlike curry. My latest obsession is for Dimsum.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »

When I was 18 I was going to cook my first ever meal for a lady. I decided to make meatballs (being the romantic f*cker I am). I asked a woman at work how I could make them more interesting. She said put onion in them.
True fact - I went home, made my meatballs and spent a good deal of time trying to stuff the little bits of onion into them with my finger.
Ended up with mince and onion. I can't remember, but I suspect I didn't get laid.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 11:41:28 AM »

. My latest obsession is for Dimsum.

I love dimsum. Sunday lunch in a busy restaurant, families and children and noise and smells and the trolley coming around. (and heart breakingly cute waitresses)  Fantastic! BUT, my g/friends vegetarian and dimsum is a bit meaty. have to go on my own, which is never the same.
You noticed that when chinese eat they stick their bowl under their chins and shovel the stuff in? Only us white folk try and negotiate the food to our mouths across the table with chopsticks as if it were safely impaled on a fork.
The english might get critisised for their own food, but you have to admire them for their willingness to eat other food types. I love London for its diverse restaurants.
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 11:44:17 AM »

Satay Chicken Stir-fry

This is a really quick recipe, about 25 minutes start to finish. Great for midweek.

In a wok...

Woah, ya lost me there!! ;D

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »

I'm such a cop-out when it comes to cooking! I basically live off:

- plain yogurt, porridge oats and honey all mixed together in a bowl (it tastes sooo good)
- Pasta with pesto, chopped tomato and perhaps a sprinkling of cheese

I'm actually ok at cooking but I can't cook spontaneously- I have to psyche myself up and plan ahead loads! I have a couple of amazing recipes that I swear by though- I shall post them when I have a moment  :)
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »

I can make a kick-ass beans on toast and chip butty :P

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 10:03:44 AM »

I have a new food hero - Rick Stein. His Mediterranean Escape series was excellent. None of his recipes ask for 3/4 of a teaspoon of this or 2.35 litres of this. It's all simple, one pot handfuls-of-this type cooking.
I made one of his Greek thingies yesterday - layers of pototo, garlic, courgettes, aubergines,peppers,onions, dill and parsley covered in sieved tomotoes and baked for 90 minutes. (seasoning between each layer)  Yum. Cheap, fun and easy (great to make with the radio on and a glass of red wine in hand.)
I have seen the light. Jamie, your day has past.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 10:16:23 AM »

Is there a book? I love Rick Stien.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 75 queries.