Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Was The White Album Too Long?  (Read 14196 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Was The White Album Too Long?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »

Quote from: 139

Yes, A Hard Day's Write says that Clapton loved chocolate and George told him that one more soft-centred chocolate would mean he would have to have his teeth pulled out. I think it was Raxo who invented 'Britlander'. I took to it because I'm a 'British first' Welshman.  :) And it just sounds good anyway.

Never heard it before. Sounds good though, yes.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 04:49:45 PM »

It all comes back to me as I read. Thanks to PC31.  :)
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 04:57:57 PM »

I see poor PC had a bit of a crises back then. I do hope he managed to repair himself.

Still, he obviously has his alter ego to fall back on.   ;)

Tatterdemalion

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 09:56:52 PM »

I don't think White Album was too long at all, the only complaint I have is that it's too much of a mish-mash. There are no flow in the tracks except side 1 from Back In The U.S.S.R. to Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »

Quote from: 475
, the only complaint I have is that it's too much of a mish-mash. There are no flow in the tracks except side 1 from Back In The U.S.S.R. to Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

You made me think about that. Revolver certainly doesn't flow and Pepper can be a bit bumpy at times (the switch from Indian raga to music hall can be a bit harsh.) And they're supposed to be the best.
I guess everything up to Rubber Soul and a good hunk of Abbey Road flows. MMT (the EP) too.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »

Quote from: 185

You made me think about that. Revolver certainly doesn't flow and Pepper can be a bit bumpy at times (the switch from Indian raga to music hall can be a bit harsh.) And they're supposed to be the best.
I guess everything up to Rubber Soul and a good hunk of Abbey Road flows. MMT (the EP) too.

WYWY was out of place on Sgt. Pepper. OANS would have fitted better. But apparently it was left out because George was complaining about his lower status in the band in that song. Published by Northern Songs in which he got a much smaller royalty dividend than John and Paul. Not sure if GM,GM was right on that either. John admitted it was a minor composition. Nice and heavy though.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 12:48:15 PM »

WYWY was out of place on Sgt. Pepper. OANS would have fitted better. ... Nice and heavy though.

For me, if there is a song out of place its WI64. I think WYWY is a great opener for side 2 and fits the album nicely. My appreciation of it grows daily. I don't think Pepper would be any worse off if WI64 wasn't there, but it would if it lost WYWY. Never really like OANS. Nor Blue Jay Way. A bit of a lean time for George IMO
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 12:53:35 PM »

Just for the record, regarding your quote of my words, I said GM, GM was nice and heavy.  :) WYWY is a fine song. And innovative. Excellent combination of western and Indian classical instruments. Sir George found it difficult combining the two. But he did a great job.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »

Just for the record, regarding your quote of my words, I said Sir George did a great job.
Sorry - didn't mean to change the meanning. Just making it smaller. :)

don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »

Quote from: 185
Sorry - didn't mean to change the meanning. Just making it smaller. :)

As I thought. But, so any other readers would get it right.  :)
All You Need Is LOVE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 01:07:56 PM »

Just for the record, regarding your quote of my words, I said Sir George did a great job.

See how daft I can be? I just got your joke!  :)
All You Need Is LOVE!

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 06:21:37 PM »

No way, white album is like a long, mysterious journey, that i love everytime, and never tire off.
it's the bloody beatles white album for christ sake! (As paul may say)

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 06:07:09 AM »

I think it should have been a triple disc
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

BlueMeanie

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 08:56:47 AM »

Quote from: 532
I think it should have been a triple disc

To include what?

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 12:05:24 PM »

Child Of Nature
Not Guilty
Soar Milk Sea
Circles
Mean Mr Mustard
Polithene Pam
Across The Universe
What's The New Mary Jane
for example ... and maybe others too ...

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 12:12:35 PM »

Quote from: 297
Child Of Nature
Not Guilty
Soar Milk Sea
Circles
Mean Mr Mustard
Polithene Pam
Across The Universe
What's The New Mary Jane

Here we go again. Obviously The Beatles themselves thought these were all not good enough to include on the album. Some were renewed and used for Abbey Road. But you can't be serious to state that Mary Jane could be on an album. George's songs were just not good enough. They tried to record Not Guilty in more than a hundred takes and it remains mediocre.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 12:25:14 PM »

Quote from: 297
Child Of Nature
Not Guilty
Soar Milk Sea
Circles
Mean Mr Mustard
Polithene Pam
Across The Universe
What's The New Mary Jane

Most of these apart from Across The Universe were unfinished. In fact George didn't even re-record Not Guilty and Circles for some years.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 12:30:46 PM »

Quote from: 63

Here we go again. Obviously The Beatles themselves thought these were all not good enough to include on the album. Some were renewed and used for Abbey Road. But you can't be serious to state that Mary Jane could be on an album. George's songs were just not good enough. They tried to record Not Guilty in more than a hundred takes and it remains mediocre.

Here we go again (only if you want).
ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs talked about a triple disc and BlueMeanie asked what to be included? Right?

Now, the guys recorded what they thought it was the best stuff (tho John loved Revolution 9 and Paul had to look away) ... but if they would have wanted a triple disc they had enough songs (that's the thing and here the discussion could easily end) ...

... not good enough to include on the album? or they hadn't space enough for everything?

... why not Mary Jane if the album would have been a triple one if Revolution 9 is on the double? ... if people think a single album would have been better a triple album would have been worse, nah?

About mediocre songs: we've got some (about a quarter of it) in the released album so I can't see the point ... and they recorded about a hundred times Sexy Sadie too and it remains good or bad or whatever ...

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »

Quote from: 483

Most of these apart from Across The Universe were unfinished. In fact George didn't even re-record Not Guilty and Circles for some years.

Which ones? ... they changed some lyrics later but they used to do it while hey were recording ... anyway, they were recorded almost with the same form as we know they had by that time ... short songs in some cases? and Wild Honey Pie and others? ...

... George had a lot of songs in the early 70s (he even gave away some) and most of them were better than circles or Not Guilty ... he said that Art Of Dying, for example, was began in 1966 and there were some others already began ...

(we discussed something here):
http://dmbeatles.com/forums/b-albums/m-1130104843/s-all/ (replies 37 and 50)

so there was unfinished stuff, y'know ... anyway, there was enough stuff for a third disc, wasn't it?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »

Well, you're talking to someone who thinks it should have been a single album anyway ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 77 queries.