Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A "mystery" to me  (Read 1890 times)

A "mystery" to me
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:40:38 PM »

I always wanted to know WHY the "Hello Goodbye" video wasn't included in the finished Magical Mystery Tour film.  I may have missed the reason why over these last 40 years, so if anyone knows the answer, please enlighten me. I can understand why the SFF & Penny Lane vids weren't included (coming slightly before the release of Sgt. Pepper and made in late '66 --also, they had nothing to do w/ the MMT project (..ALTHOUGH, think about it-- they would've fit nicely into a psychedelic bus tour theme)BUT....to leave out "Hello Goodbye", which was made almost exactly the same time as MMT, and, from what I understood at the time, was slated TO BE in the film is a terrible oversight I believe. I don't know why they never used it. Of course I'm aware of it's existence in the Anthology dvd, but I would've loved to have seen it in a re-vamped version of MMT. After all, the Macca-directed film only runs a mere 53 minutes in it's original form (without H.G.), so adding it to a new edition would hardly be a problem as far as time constriction, unless this  very consideration came into play by the execs at the BBC on Boxing Day, '67 when they screened it in the UK in non-glorious b&w!! If they HAD to shorten it for commercial reasons, that might be understandable---BUT I'M STILL IN THE DARK...was Hello Goodbye" EVER in the original edit of Paul's completed work? If not, that seems to be a conspicuous omission that should NOW be remedied. Adding a few more extra minutes to an already embarrasingly short film would hardly be sacrilege. It's true the film already has (mercifully) the only documented performance of John doing "I Am The Walrus", but I really think the H. G. footage would've embellished the final work, even if it didn't restore the film's dubious reputation among critics.

BlueMeanie

Re: A "mystery" to me
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:54:07 PM »

Hello Goodbye was never meant to be a part of the film. It was just a single in it's own right. I believe from memory it was used in the end credits of MMT. It was never on the official soundtrack (the double EP UK release). The video that was recorded was completely separate to the film, recorded in the theatre that Brian Epsien leased.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »

Quote from: 483
I believe from memory it was used in the end credits of MMT. It was never on the official soundtrack.

yeah...I have the EP (and being a Yank that wasn't easy to get :D), and of course it was on Side 2 of the Capitol album (that side being a tentative collection of "recent" greatest hits of that period), but I've always thought that since IATW was almost a centerpiece of the film, why should'nt "H.G." have also been included (in it's video-entirety, not just in the closing credits which only uses the last part of the song --Paul's "Hey La" section, as I affectionately call it lol)Paul was the director and the one who dreamed up the MMT concept in the first place, so far be it for me to revise history, but I always felt it (H.G.) belonged in the film. After all, it was on the flip side of the same single (least it was on this side of The Pond)But I guess it just wasnt meant to be when all was said and done.No sense kicking a dead horse.  I love the H.G. vid--it seems so colorful and sounded as good as IATW. In fact, the "Walrus" footage looked amateurish to me--even though the song was of landmark importance in Beatle legend. But I think H.G. was filmed more professionally and seemed to fit MMT thematically. Just my opinion.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:16:43 PM »

Good point, but HG was never recorded for the film. MMT is quite amatuerish, which is part of it's charm.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:17:05 PM »

The Hello Goodbye promo vid would have ended the film nicley before going into a
reprise of Magical Mystery Tour i think! didn't like the bit where Hello Goodbye
just suddenly comes on at the end.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:44:45 PM »

Quote from: 614
didn't like the bit where Hello Goodbye
just suddenly comes on at the end.

exactly how I feel...the song got "disrespected"  :D

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 43 queries.