Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Pete Best  (Read 76987 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Pete Best
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2008, 06:48:05 AM »

Many of the songs the band plays were featured on the Beatles "Anthology I" CD in 1995 and netted Best and his family up to $4 million pounds in royalties.
Well, that's a relief. Better late than never, I suppose. I'm glad he got a chance to enjoy his contribution to their legacy at last, as he certainly went through some misery to begin with. *hugs him... oh yeah, I already did that* :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »

I heard a funny story from someone who went to see Pete Best giving a lecture about his Beatle days. During the lecture, Best did a fairly obvious running gag of "then I met Paul, er, Paul (pretending to forget) what's his name again?" Unfortunately, there was a completely humourless fan in the audience, who not realising it was a gag, stood up and helpfully shouted "It's Paul McCartney!" And later on, when Pete Best redid the same gag for the other Beatles, this fan kept on standing up going "It's John Lennon!" and "It's George Harrison for god sake, you worked with him!". Excruciating at the time, but funny in retrospect.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2008, 07:12:31 PM »

Ugh! What a horrible story! Wasn't any intelligent person sitting near this "fan" who could say, "It's okay, buddy. Grow a sense of humor."

I heard Pete is funny at these talks. He did a bit of talking between sets during the concert I saw but... I couldn't understand him! His accent was too thick. From the people up front who were laughing (perhaps they could lip read?) he was pretty funny.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2008, 07:15:30 PM »

Quote from: 551
Ugh! What a horrible story! Wasn't any intelligent person sitting near this "fan" who could say, "It's okay, buddy. Grow a sense of humor."

I heard Pete is funny at these talks. He did a bit of talking between sets during the concert I saw but... I couldn't understand him! His accent was too thick. From the people up front who were laughing (perhaps they could lip read?) he was pretty funny.

That is crazy!!  Most accents mellow out over time, or at least stay the same. I've herrrrd Pete talk on youtube, he seemed fairly intelligible. Do you think it was a bad sound system at the venue (lots of echo), or maybe there was some alcohol involved, perish the thought!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

Here's a piece I found that Bill wrote for Mersey Beat when Ringo replaced Pete. (Hope you don't mind Bill)

MERSEY BEAT EXCLUSIVE STORY
BEATLES CHANGE DRUMMER!

Ringo Starr (former drummer with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes) has joined The Beatles, replacing Pete Best on drums. Ringo has admired The Beatles for years and is delighted with his new engagement. Naturally he is tremendously excited about the future.

The Beatles comment "Pete left the group by mutual agreement. There were no arguments or difficulties, and this has been an entirely amicable decision."

On Tuesday, September 4th, The Beatles will fly to London to make recordings at E.M.I. Studios. They will be recording numbers that have been specifically written for the group, which they have received from their recording manager George Martin (Parlophone).

THE BEATLES TO PLAY CHESTER

As a result of the phenominal Box Office success of the Beatles during their 4-week season of Monday nights at the Plaza Ballroom, St. Helens, the directors of Whetstone Entertainment, controllers of the ballroom, have engaged the Beatles for a series of four Thursday night sessions at the Riverpark Ballroom, Chester, which commenced on 16th August.

[Mersey Beat, August 23, 1962]
Article copyright

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »

Quote from: 568
I've herrrrd Pete talk on youtube, he seemed fairly intelligible. Do you think it was a bad sound system at the venue

Maybe it was a bad sound system. I hadn't thought of that. It was terribly frustrating, because I've listened to the Beatles a lot, and I just couldn't get what Pete was saying.

I know I certainly got smashed after the show (sat up drinking with some friendly Canadians), but Pete was sober, but very tired, poor man. I know because I was forced to hug him four times for the requisite mug shot, because my flash wouldn't go off.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »

Pete Best doesn`t seem to be a very clever guy. As George Martin says he was rather gloomy, aloof and tied-lipped, out of the place. I dont think there is any point in their meeting each other, what can they say to each other? Though, certainly, as a fan i would like to watch them and to listen to any kind of conversation they may have. So from my egotistical point of view i am for the encounter.

Bobber

« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2008, 07:35:45 AM »

I read that Pete is about to release an album with original material, called Haymans Green.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »

Quote from: 63
I read that Pete is about to release an album with original material, called Haymans Green.

is Macca making a guest appearance on a track?  :P

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2008, 08:46:32 AM »

I can't help feeling that some of George Martin's current comments have been influenced by the Beatles books he's read. It was very common in the early Sixties for Londob A&R men to use session drummers - on a variety of bands ranging from the Beatles to Procol Harum.
When the Beatles sacked Pete, George Martin told Mo Best: "I never suggested that Pete Best must go. All I said was that for the purposes of the Beatles first record I would rather have a session man. I never thought that Brian Epstein would let him go. He seemed to be the most saleable commodity as far as looks went. It was a surprise when I learned they had dropped Pete."
When Ringo replaced him, Ron Richards. George Martin and Paul McCartney all said they were unhappy with the way Ringo played on their first recording session, so a second one was arranged. When they arrived drummer Andy White was there and Ringo thought 'They've done a Pete Best on me.' Martin said, "He (Ringo) couldn't do a roll - and still can't,  though he's improved a lot since. Andy was the kind of drummer I needed. Ringo was only used to ballrooms. It was obviously best to use someone with experience."

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »

Quote from: 1062
It was very common in the early Sixties for Londob A&R men to use session drummers - on a variety of bands ranging from the Beatles to Procol Harum.
When the Beatles sacked Pete, George Martin told Mo Best: "I never suggested that Pete Best must go. All I said was that for the purposes of the Beatles first record I would rather have a session man. I never thought that Brian Epstein would let him go. He seemed to be the most saleable commodity as far as looks went. It was a surprise when I learned they had dropped Pete."

I may well have this wrong, but I think Martin said somewhere that while he thought Pete Best was fine for live dates he wasn't a good enough drummer to record (the Anthology audition take of "Love Me Do" bears him out on this, I think). He probably expected to use session drummers on the recording sessions while Pete would keep playing for The Beatles live, and was surprised when The Beatles turned up to record "Love Me Do" with Ringo. Ringo got his shot on the first recording of "Love Me Do" - that take appeared on the first issues of the single -  but was displaced by Andy White's remake on the album and later editions of the single. Ringo and George Martin have been cheerfully giving each other the elbow about it ever since, too, most notably on the Anthology video.   :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »

The last two pieces of information are very interesting! I have never heard about that. The general perception is that Pete didn`t fit in, first, for his lack of charisma, and, second, for his rather poor performance. But, remember, the curios thing is that none of the Beatles objected to the dismissal. As if they were happy to get rid of him. As if he hadn`t made close friends with them when in Germany, as if he were simply a burden to them, an alien, a pariah. And they had never communicated with him since. So not much of a loss was he. Why do you think they didn`t protest?

Bobber

« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »

Quote from: 1393
Why do you think they didn`t protest?

It was their plan in the first place.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2008, 02:13:36 PM »

It was their plan in the first place.

Mean plotters!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »

Quote from: 551

Maybe it was a bad sound system. I hadn't thought of that. It was terribly frustrating, because I've listened to the Beatles a lot, and I just couldn't get what Pete was saying.

I know I certainly got smashed after the show (sat up drinking with some friendly Canadians), but Pete was sober, but very tired, poor man. I know because I was forced to hug him four times for the requisite mug shot, because my flash wouldn't go off.

I remember when you went ... what a fantastic experience, to touch a Beatle, and more than that to talk and hug one!!

You had a beautiful pic or two (later lightened up by a helpful forum mate) you posted back then ... would love to see them again if you wouldn't mind reposting -

Thanks Harihead!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »

hERE'S A BIOG i WROTE ABOUT HOWIE CASEY:

Casey, Howie

Howie Casey is a Liverpool legend and his bands preceded the Beatles on a number of fronts. Under their original name of Derry and the Seniors they were the first Liverpool group to go to Hamburg and as Howie Casey & the Seniors the first Mersey band to make a record in their own right.

Born 12 July 1937, Howie started playing saxophone because he liked jazz and decided to pursue a career in music by signing with the King

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2008, 05:17:22 AM »

Yes that's true about Haymans Green.

Scheduled for USA release on 9/16.  USA/Canada tour starting 9/12.

I'm not sure how to post up a graphic here, but I have the CD cover art here to share.  No matter where you stand on Pete's role in the history, you're gonna love the concept on the cover art.    

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:31 AM »

Quote from: 1161

I may well have this wrong, but I think Martin said somewhere that while he thought Pete Best was fine for live dates he wasn't a good enough drummer to record (the Anthology audition take of "Love Me Do" bears him out on this, I think). He probably expected to use session drummers on the recording sessions while Pete would keep playing for The Beatles live, and was surprised when The Beatles turned up to record "Love Me Do" with Ringo. Ringo got his shot on the first recording of "Love Me Do" - that take appeared on the first issues of the single -  but was displaced by Andy White's remake on the album and later editions of the single. Ringo and George Martin have been cheerfully giving each other the elbow about it ever since, too, most notably on the Anthology video.   :)

before jumping to a conclusion about that Anthology Love Me Do track, ya should review the history of that LMD track, and why the rudimentary drumming was laid down that way.  It was a raw take of a song in development.

While Cry for a Shadow was on Anthology, as was My Bonnie, Hello Little Girl, Besame mucho, etc... several others great fun tracks, why single out an intentionally raw LoveMeDo as being representative of 1 single musician's ability or alleged lack thereoff ?  

heck, ya can probably also listen to other tapes that reflect some off key singing here or there , but it's so funny to see folks point specifically to that LMD track as some kind of solid "proof" of sub-par musicianship.   For example, just from Anthology alone, Macca goofs up on the takes for 1 after 909, but that's fine right? yet LMD sounds goofy yes (because it's raw), so that makes PB a a poor musician?  Nah... it's just double standards abounding.  

It's fun discussions though. It's history, we all move forward and enjoy the music and the colorful times around it.

Get your ipods ready for Haymans Green though.  I'm pretty sure most of the DM members know the specific relevance of the 2 words in the Fan istory, but for those that don't , you're going to enjoy what you learn on your voyage of discovery.   Go on...look it up.  Enjoy.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2008, 08:23:13 AM »

Quote from: 902
before jumping to a conclusion about that Anthology Love Me Do track, ya should review the history of that LMD track, and why the rudimentary drumming was laid down that way.  It was a raw take of a song in development.

While Cry for a Shadow was on Anthology, as was My Bonnie, Hello Little Girl, Besame mucho, etc... several others great fun tracks, why single out an intentionally raw LoveMeDo as being representative of 1 single musician's ability or alleged lack thereoff ?  

It was not just 'Love Me Do'. The Beatles first session at EMI was for 3 hours - from 7pm to 10pm on 6th June. They recorded 4 songs - 'Love Me Do', 'Besame Mucho', 'P.S. I Love You', and 'Ask Me Why'. But they rehearsed a good deal of material in the studio before the actual recording started. In fact, it was on hearing 'Love Me Do' that the recording engineer - Ron Richards, sent for George Martin, who would otherwise not have been there. So George made his decision based on more than just one song.

Btw, 'Love Me Do' was not really in development at that time. It was deliberately written in a Roy Orbison style.

Bobber

« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »

Quote from: 902

Yes that's true about Haymans Green.

Scheduled for USA release on 9/16.  USA/Canada tour starting 9/12.

I'm not sure how to post up a graphic here, but I have the CD cover art here to share.  No matter where you stand on Pete's role in the history, you're gonna love the concept on the cover art.    

Tracks:
Come With Me

Step outside

Start Again

Grey River

Gone

Dream Me Home

Everything I Want

Beat Street

Broken

Red Light

Haymans Green
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 80 queries.