Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: while my guitar - bass line video  (Read 2026 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
while my guitar - bass line video
« on: November 05, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »

so much content out there nowadays, stumbled upon this one, no definitive answer but question on who is playing bass on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Comments section is interesting after watching the video.  Like anything Beatles, soooo many opinions. 

Fun to watch and read

https://youtu.be/nDCMK2VPeBA

also - know I am not a musician but find videos and such like this interesting because I don't have the personal knowledge of how songs are constructed, extracting single instruments and focusing on them is crazy interesting to me given my non technical background.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:51:00 AM by blmeanie »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Togger

• One And One Is Two
Re: while my guitar - bass line video
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »

Probably George Martin played it. ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 09:51:38 PM »

so much content out there nowadays, stumbled upon this one, no definitive answer but question on who is playing bass on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Comments section is interesting after watching the video.  Like anything Beatles, soooo many opinions. 

Fun to watch and read

https://youtu.be/nDCMK2VPeBA

also - know I am not a musician but find videos and such like this interesting because I don't have the personal knowledge of how songs are constructed, extracting single instruments and focusing on them is crazy interesting to me given my non technical background.

Lewisohn says Paul overdubbed a bass part after the basic track was recorded (on which he played piano). John might also have played some bass on the six string bass they kept around on one of the takes.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 10:39:58 PM »

Paul was playing piano, its sounds very much like a Fender BassVI (not a real Bass but a Baritone guitar).
So it was either John or George, (they usually played the Bass VI when Paul was playing piano) and I always assumed it was John, it sounds like him, pretty aggressive, Giles Martin has access to all the archives at Abbey Rd and he categorically says its John.

Not that it matters  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 12:19:13 AM »

Interesting that, if the bass was overdubbed, that John would do it. But if they were doing two basses as is suggested in the video then I suppose someone had to join Paul. IF it was John he did a much better job than on Long and Winding Road  ha2ha

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 01:05:23 AM »

Interesting that, if the bass was overdubbed, that John would do it. But if they were doing two basses as is suggested in the video then I suppose someone had to join Paul. IF it was John he did a much better job than on Long and Winding Road  ha2ha

The way I perceived it was that John played the (very trebly) Bass VI on the recording but another Bass track was added on top of that.

As for LAWR I think John hated it  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 11:13:29 PM »

I'm not a musician, either, blmeanie, and I find this fascinating as well.

I hope it's OK to segue into a closely related topic here. A coworker claimed last week that he can tell who is playing guitar depending on that person's playing style. He pulled up on his phone Cliff Richards's cover of "Devil Woman" and said he could tell it was George playing, and he asked my opinion, so I told him I doubt I'd ever be able to recognize one particular music unless it was already a well-known song with which I was already familiar (e.g., While My Guitar Gently Weeps). 

I did a search when I got home and found out that no, that's not George playing on that song.

Given that there are several musicians active on here, I thought I'd ask, can you all listen to a song and say "Oh, that's so-and-so playing [guitar, bass, percussion, etc.]? I'm curious.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 11:56:11 PM »

Sometimes yes.
I knew David Gilmore was playing on No More Lonely Nights for example. I can also always recognise Mark Knofler, some are very distinctive like Peter Green.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 01:03:02 AM »

Sometimes yes.
I knew David Gilmore was playing on No More Lonely Nights for example.

wait...what???!??!??????

whoa, I'll be back in a minute or about 5 minutes

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 01:08:07 AM »

ok, mind blown, read on wiki that Gilmour played on it and the solo.  ok.  Also saw that it was released on my 19th birthday, yay.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 07:54:55 AM »

ok, mind blown, read on wiki that Gilmour played on it and the solo.  ok.  Also saw that it was released on my 19th birthday, yay.
First time I heard it I thought... David Gilmour.
The tone, the bending, the amount of reverb, it sounded like straight off The Wall
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 09:31:56 AM »

Dave Gilmore worked a bit with Paul. He was in the band for the concert Paul did at the cavern in 1999

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 02:13:12 PM »

all of that is pretty cool, Paul often is characterized as impossible to work with and collaborations or playing with him are cool.  I knew of Elvis Costello's collabs for Flowers and thought that was cool, hadn't been aware of Gilmour.  Who else?

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 10:46:07 PM »

all of that is pretty cool, Paul often is characterized as impossible to work with and collaborations or playing with him are cool.  I knew of Elvis Costello's collabs for Flowers and thought that was cool, hadn't been aware of Gilmour.  Who else?

Eric Stewart 10cc
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 10:49:53 PM »

Ive listened closely to the 2021 version of this on my headphones and Im now convinced it wasnt John playing Bass. I think its a better bassline that John was capable of. I dont know obviously (like the Ahhhs)  but thats my feeling. Id guess George or Paul.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 12:55:44 AM »

Michael Jackson
Kanye

;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 01:41:05 AM »

Ive listened closely to the 2021 version of this on my headphones and Im now convinced it wasnt John playing Bass. I think its a better bassline that John was capable of. I dont know obviously (like the Ahhhs)  but thats my feeling. Id guess George or Paul.

I guess if someone today would ask Paul, he would say that he played both bass parts.  :)
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 12:39:35 AM »

I guess if someone today would ask Paul, he would say that he played both bass parts.  :)

And wrote the lyrics..
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 12:46:55 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Page created in 1.42 seconds with 71 queries.