Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Marketing Dead Rock Stars  (Read 543 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Marketing Dead Rock Stars
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »

I was just on the Converse website looking at sneakers, and I noticed they have a Chuck with Jim Morrison's face on it. Then I see one with a replica of the belt he used to wear of all things and a bunch more hawking his image. Then I find some Chucks with Kurt Cobain's lyrics, art work, and signature, and of course the Lennon Peace Chuck.  Yes, they're kinda cool, but these guys are dead and I think three of the LAST people who would approve of such cheap marketing. Anyway, what do you all think of stuff like this? What do you think they would think?? I have mixed feelings about this kind of stuff.  

They have a bunch of other bands too, but most of those artists are around to give their okay. Which I think it fine. A little different when the artist is gone though and others are marketing their image.

By the way, you can even design you own Chuck. Pretty shrewd marketing going on over there.

Here's the site. I couldn't link directly to those particular sneakers for some reason.
http://www.converse.com/index.aspx?mode=shoes&fid=2#productdetail

Oh, and this always kills me. This is what's under the info of the John Lennon Peace Chuck.  ::) Yeah, I respect her.

John Lennon is a trademark of Yoko Ono Lennon.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
Re: Marketing Dead Rock Stars
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:35:47 PM »

That is absolutely ridiculous! I think that if any of these rock stars (especially Lennon) were around today and were asked permission, they would say something like 'Oh, f*ck off. That's a stupid idea.' I also think that people who buy these shoes cannot call themselves true fans of the certain dead rock star because if they really were fans, they'd know enough to think that the rock star would have hated it.
The fact that 'John Lennon is a trademark owned by Yoko Ono Lennon' just makes me want to cry. (cry3)
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 39 queries.