Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Steely Dan observations  (Read 1095 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Steely Dan observations
« on: March 18, 2022, 07:21:09 PM »

I am a big fan of Steely Dan.  I love their music.  It doesn't seem like there's a bad song in their catalog.  Do you agree?  But, I had a strange thought the other day while listening to them.

First of all by comparison to the Beatles:  It seems like all Beatle songs were good regardless of whether you liked them or not.  You knew they were still good even if you didn't like some of them.  Also, most of their songs were self-written.

Comparison to Steely Dan:  It seems the above holds for true for Steely Dan.  I don't know off the top of my head if they did any covers or not.  I should know this considering all the listening I've done of their music.

Now here's the weird part and why I decided to post.  The Beatles songs all seem different.  Steely Dan songs seem like they're very much the same across the board.  I can't prove this out because it's so subjective of a perception.  It's as if all their songs are universally similar.  Yet, you don't perceive this ordinarily.  I'm not sure I can articulate this more clearly.

It's as if I'm listening to the same song all the time but it's not perceived as such.  Is this possible?  And how can it be?  As always I really appreciate the feedback I get on this Forum.  Thank you muchly!
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Steely Dan observations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 07:46:13 PM »

Those are interesting thoughts, LocoMo. I'm not familar with Steely Dan except for their best-known songs, so I can't quite master your analogy, but it's an interesting one.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 12:33:30 AM »

What I’ve heard of Steely Dan they’re songs do have a samey sort of sound. To me they have that laid back jazzy quality.  Could be just because I haven’t listened to them enough though.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 02:20:25 AM »

I like SD. But in a way they were a one trick pony. They used a lot of Jazz chords in their songs. They also used top session musicians like Larry Carlton guitar and some phenomenal drummers and Bass players..
I do like them but they were were nowhere near as creative as The Beatles. Nobody was.

This is my favourite SD track and one of my favourite guitar solos at 2:17 by the aforementioned Larry Carlton. If you can tune into the Drums (Bernard Purdie) and Bass (Chuck Rainey).....Awesome !

Kid Charlamagne.

https://youtu.be/jJ9Xk-VoGqo
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »

nimrod:  Yes, I like that guitar solo in Kid Charlemagne, too.  The drums are minimalistic but funky-groovy.  The bass feels heavy and really solidifies the foundation of the song.  Also, Steve Gadd's drum fills on "Aja" are the most awesome ever.  I wonder if Ringo could play that.

Moogmodule:  I agree; they're not at all like the Beatles but I think most of their songs are listenable and enjoyable to hear.  They seem to make perfect background music when I'm engaged in some activity.  Yet, they're not exactly elevator music either.

Normandie:  Thanks.  I don't know if you would consider my POV if you didn't listen to them a whole lot of the time.  That's okay.  There's a lot of musical artists to hear in the world going back in time to the now of today's universe.  I wonder about the music that may exist elsewhere in our supposedly infinite universe.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 09:26:56 PM »

check out Rick Beato's what makes this song great on that song

https://youtu.be/xKIC9zbSJoE

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 08:57:30 AM »

I like Steely Dan! LocoMo, you reminded me relisten to them again. After Styx, which I listen to now. I know `Can't Buy a Thrill' and `Aja' as well as `The Serpent Is Rising', `Equinox' and `The Grand Illusion' - all these albums (and many others albums of other rockbands) my father brought from US in 1979, an year before I was born. So I listen to them since my childhood.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 12:13:20 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwAu9S_UBPo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwAu9S_UBPo</a>

Barrytown reminds me a Beatles song. Is it subjectively and just a special case or does it reminds you a one Beatles song too? What song?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 10:14:05 PM »

Barrytown reminds me a Beatles song. Is it subjectively and just a special case or does it reminds you a one Beatles song too? What song?

That song does sound very familiar, Dmitry, but the Beatles song it reminds me of is just beyond my grasp. Can you enlighten us?

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 01:04:24 AM »

It sounds to me like ...Tell Me What You See
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 02:31:08 AM »

Good one, nimrod.  I totally agree that this sounds like "Tell me what you see."  For a while, I thought it was similar to "Run for your life."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 03:38:56 AM »

It sounds to me like ...Tell Me What You See

To me too, Kev...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztiAcsATyI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztiAcsATyI</a>
I can stay till it's time to go

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 05:43:51 AM »

Wow! You're amazing! I meant Tell Me What You See too.

Real Beatles fans we are  8)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2022, 12:25:18 AM »

Wow! You're amazing! I meant Tell Me What You See too.

Real Beatles fans we are  8)

It just jumped out at me Dmitry, first listen.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 01:00:57 AM »

It’s that first line of the verse that jogs the Beatle memory.  Haven’t heard song before. More poppy and less jazzy than other Steely Dan I’ve heard. Might give that whole album a listen.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2022, 10:30:51 AM »

What about this one?!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5OoWr4v1k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5OoWr4v1k</a>

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 06:22:52 PM »

Dmitry:  Yes, those two songs seem similar.  It's something to do with the overall pattern.  There's also a bouncy swaying-back-and-forth quality to the singing.

I am amazed at how the Beatles wrote songs like these.  They're not simple tunes conjured forth by strumming on a guitar or by spontaneously humming to yourself in an idle moment.

There's an amazing structure to these and a way in which the song evolves and develops.  It's like watching something grow into a complex shape.  I still ask repeatedly:  How did they do this?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 08:53:59 PM »

I am amazed at how the Beatles wrote songs like these.  They're not simple tunes conjured forth by strumming on a guitar or by spontaneously humming to yourself in an idle moment.

That, to me, is part of the Beatles' magic.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 08:30:16 AM »

Agree.
And not without purpose they say that the Beatles influenced the development of music. I hear the influence of the Beatles on so many bands that released albums in the 70's, 80's... until nowadays.

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 80 queries.