Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sunshine pop  (Read 1803 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Sunshine pop
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »

Anyone familiar with the genre known as "sunshine pop"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_pop

I like pretty much everything that's been described as "sunshine pop" that I've heard so far (Free Design, Sagittarius, 5th Dimension, Mamas & Papas, The Association, Flower Pot Men, Strawberry Alarm Clock), so I want to get a bit deeper into this now and check out some of the more obscure stuff. I made a list of albums that seemed interesting based on reviews and descriptions I've read:

Sagittarius - Blue Marble
The Yellow Balloon - The Yellow Balloon
Millennium - Begin
Klaatu - Klaatu/Hope
The Grass Roots - Greatest Hits
Gentle Soul - Gentle Soul
Wendy & Bonnie - Genesis
The Sunshine Company - The Best of the Sunshine Company

Anyone familiar with any of those albums? Or can anybody recommend any other albums?

Bobber

Re: Sunshine pop
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

Quote from: 56
Klaatu - Klaatu/Hope

Not sure if these two albums are really 'sunshine pop' in the way that Wiki means it. There is however a sun on each and every cover of the Klaatu albums. There is some info on the band here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1210877841/s-5/highlight-klaatu/#num5

The album to get an easier listening access to Klaatu is Sir Army Suit with the minor hit A Routine Day. Both Klaatu (aka 3.47 E.S.T.) and Hope are very interesting albums and knowing your background a little it might be more to your taste. I can upload the albums for a pre-listen if you want to.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:50 PM »

do the new seekers fit the genre?????if so then there are a bunch of them...
Xnms04P78sQ

coven did this one...
AM4ADoVc6TU

i do believe you are regressing musically bud......finally feeling mortal huh?it happens....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »

H0lKmznjgfQ
bo donaldson and the heywoods...
7_uYXSAbFWY
ocean
paper lace..
p-L0NpaErkk

the defranco family,climax,daniel boone,the osmonds,1910 fruit gum company,the flying machine,the archies(esp andy kim),terry jacks,ocean,the poppy family,and the sweet too....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »

M4UgcOPx2o0

the partridge family,bobby sherman,shaun cassidy,leif garrett,david cassidy,bay city rollers....
GVq7i6Xd8rM

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »

3rK6BjJaAjY
.....enough already i need a metal infusion now...... ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »

@ PC: Thanks! But I think what you have in mind is bubblegum pop.  :) What I meant was more the harmonic baroq pop type of stuff... Mamas & Papas, Beach Boys (1962-1969), Free Design, 5th Dimension, Association, Flower Pot Men, that kind of stuff.

@ Bobber: Thanks for the info, interesting story! Reminds me of the Orion story, ever heard about him? He was a masked singer who sounded exactly like Elvis Presley, started performing shortly after Elvis had died and got signed by Sun Records... So obviously a lot of people believed at the time that Elvis had staged his dead and was still performing, as Orion. Tragically, Jimmy Ellis a.k.a. Orion was shot to death behind the register of his convenience store in 1998.

I'll check out the samples when I'm home and then decide if I will on won't order the CD.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »

Sunshine or bubblegum, but definitely HAPPY pop. Pc, thank you very much! You just kill me or make me happy with all these videos, which is actually one and the same thing in this respect. I liked New Seekers, I`ve heard this song, I thought it was sung by the group Teach-in. And I absolutely adored The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace, sure I remembered the song, but no idea of the group, it is great! You`ve mentioned the Archies, could you, please, send their SUGAR HONEY? And then I`ll keep on listening to the three the rest of the evening. no tea-breaks, no nothing, just honey honey...(musicnotes)(rocknroll)(musicnotes)

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:49 AM »

Quote from: 1393
You`ve mentioned the Archies, could you, please, send their SUGAR HONEY? And then I`ll keep on listening to the three the rest of the evening. no tea-breaks, no nothing, just honey honey...(musicnotes)(rocknroll)(musicnotes)

Go to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com), search for 'Archies' and 'Sugar' and there you go.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 08:59:14 AM »

Quote from: 56

@ Bobber: Thanks for the info, interesting story! Reminds me of the Orion story, ever heard about him? He was a masked singer who sounded exactly like Elvis Presley, started performing shortly after Elvis had died and got signed by Sun Records... So obviously a lot of people believed at the time that Elvis had staged his dead and was still performing, as Orion. Tragically, Jimmy Ellis a.k.a. Orion was shot to death behind the register of his convenience store in 1998.

I'll check out the samples when I'm home and then decide if I will on won't order the CD.

Orion eh? Never heard of him. I do know The King tho.  ;D  The offer for uploads (for prelistening of course  :) ) still stands.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:32:37 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(singer)

Thanks for the offer. I don't 'pre-listen', I think that buying CDs is more exciting if you don't really know what to expect (even if that means I have a bad buy every now and then). But thanks again for the offer.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:15 AM »

-f1xL5wQ1gQ
nDPolu51Org
ron dante....
my fave archies song.dedicated to bobber... ;)
8-_1ODHGn2A

sorry about the cornfusion joost.. 8)

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »

^I'm tempted to modify that post.  :P

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »

WHO LOVES YA BABY!!!! :P

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:31 PM »

Ah! One of those completely irrelevant posts!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »

not totally if you believe all things are connected...then everything becomes relevant...seen rick about???
i am still unclear as to what joust was talking about...is it people being backed with a wall of sound type thing????

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »

Thanks, pc! I`ve enjoyed the song very much!  :) By the way, it`s much more pleasant to listen to the song in a nice company, I mean looking at the avatar, which is very good, your best! The previous was also super, rather enticing.  ;) I love this one, keep it for a while, unless you have a better one.

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 70 queries.