Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: When is the catalogue going to be remastered?  (Read 11347 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: When is the catalogue going to be remastered?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 03:17:21 AM »

Quote from: 483

You're welcome. TK, why don't you download a few, see what you think.

http://6plus3.wordpress.com/

I'll do that and thanks. We just got high speed internet (well mediocre speed anyways) through a satellite so i'll take a crack at it.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 03:17:52 AM »

Quote from: 216
Do you want them reissued for better sound quality or just because you want to buy new vinyls? Cuz you can get vinyl from ebay or imports.

Yes, better sound quality.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 03:18:30 AM »

Quote from: 284
make new friends who can catch a frisbee tard....no buy the cds upgrade you cheep some beach.... ;D
we love you todd we are fans how are your wife and my kids?call me you puke....

Your kids are doing fine, but send the check already ya tight wallet bastard!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 09:37:41 AM »

You would have thought they would have started with a publicity campaign by now , something like " Get Ready For 2013 " LOL

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 06:16:38 PM »

Quote from: 971
You would have thought they would have started with a publicity campaign by now , something like " Get Ready For 2013 " LOL

No doubt, but maybe they should call the campaign "When You're Sixty Four." Most of us will be at least that before Apple gets anything done. ;D

By the way, loved the Rabbids in your signature last week; they reminded me of a raccoon I once had living in my back yard.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »

Rolling Stone mag may have done us all a favour:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/covers ... 09/page/20

The hits on my blog have gone through the roof in the past few days.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 05:12:21 AM »

The hits on my blog have gone through the roof in the past few days.

It also explains why requests for information about how to use FLAC files have suddenly turned up on yours and other blog sites in the past few days. But I hope Andy Greene hasn't done in what's been an enjoyable fan-to-fan thing.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 08:11:11 AM »

Quote from: 1161

It also explains why requests for information about how to use FLAC files have suddenly turned up on yours and other blog sites in the past few days. But I hope Andy Greene hasn't done in what's been an enjoyable fan-to-fan thing.

I hope so too. It's taken me quite a lot of work setting that blog up. Did he actually mention the blog by name? I've only read the short piece on their website.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »

Did he actually mention the blog by name? I've only read the short piece on their website.

There's just the short and unspecific news article, I think: but Rolling Stone is by no means a website I go to much:

Beatles Remasters

The Beatles' albums came out on CD in 1987, but fans have long complained that the early digital technology used to remaster the recordings left them sounding hollow and thin — and that the official remasters are way overdue. That's where Purple Chick comes in — a secretive fan (or group of fans) who has been quietly remastering classic discs like Revolver and A Hard Day's Night, and releasing the digital files for free online. How is this possible? The Beatles' CDs sound so bad that carefully digitized tracks from pristine vinyl copies are noticeably better — with crisper highs, a fuller soundstage, and more realistic reproduction of instruments and voices. And the Purple Chick editions are superior to the originals in other ways, too: The Sgt. Pepper collection contains the original record in mono and stereo, and four discs' worth of studio outtakes; the White Album comes in a whopping twelve-disc version, including alternate takes, studio chatter, demos and fascinating jams. So how do you get this stuff? Google is your friend: Try searching "purple chick and megaupload" to get started. ANDY GREENE

I can't find any other news articles elsewhere, either, for what that's worth. Is the Greene article in the magazine or only on the web site?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 03:51:19 AM »

I can't find any other news articles elsewhere, either, for what that's worth. Is the Greene article in the magazine or only on the web site?

Don't know, the mag's not out here yet. I'm beginning to think that too much publicity is a bad thing. I was happily going along on an average of 1,500 hits a day. Yesterday it reached 7,684, and today looks likes it's going into hyperspace. Wish I was getting paid for it. Personally, I can't believe that the likes of Apple/EMI/Capitol aren't aware of all the sites that offer Beatles bootlegs for download. We're not difficult to find, after all, someone at Apple must be doing something. And I'm sure the RIAA and the BPI don't need to be told either. I think I'm more likely to be closed down by my own host. Every time I log in I expect not to find it!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 04:45:47 AM »

Don't know, the mag's not out here yet. I'm beginning to think that too much publicity is a bad thing. I was happily going along on an average of 1,500 hits a day. Yesterday it reached 7,684, and today looks likes it's going into hyperspace. Wish I was getting paid for it. Personally, I can't believe that the likes of Apple/EMI/Capitol aren't aware of all the sites that offer Beatles bootlegs for download. We're not difficult to find, after all, someone at Apple must be doing something. And I'm sure the RIAA and the BPI don't need to be told either. I think I'm more likely to be closed down by my own host. Every time I log in I expect not to find it!

That's my sense of it too, unfortunately: but, on the other hand, think of all the torrent download sites that have existed for much longer and covered a far greater variety of artists, or the vast quantity of film and video that exists on Youtube and other sites. Despite the sudden attention your blog and others like it have gotten, it's still probably a miniscule event in the overall picture of things, and mainly of interest only to diehards like ourselves who will cheerfully listen to thirteen takes of "I Saw Her Standing There," and scarcely a threat to Apple/EMI's position. Besides, judging from Rolling Stone's own site, the article appeared on a blog and is already well down the page and will soon disappear from view anyway.

And who knows? Maybe Apple will take a look at what Purple Chick have done and take some cues for their own reissues; after all, we're the fans and this is one way of letting them know the sort of thing we're interested in. If they put it out themselves, I'll certainly write them a cheque.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »

You would think that Apple would have been spurred on years ago, what with Dr. Ebbett's, Mirror Spock, Yellow Dog, and the countless other bootlegers out there. It's constantly surprised me that they seem to have quite a relaxed attitude regarding bootlegs. They must see it as free publicity or something. Or they've been too busy suing Apple Inc. And the throwing in of that 15 minutes of studio chat with Let It Be...Naked just wetted peoples apetites, and made them want more, hence the popularity of stuff like Day By Day, and A/B Road. The PC stuff in particular must be taken very seriously. I've been advising people privately not to buy the official stuff at all, but to download the PC discs instead.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »

No, they can't shut your site down now! I've only just got highspeed internet, and haven't downloaded anything yet! PC is high on my list, but I've been waiting for the peak to pass before trying to log in. Please keep me informed how it all goes with you!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »

You would think that Apple would have been spurred on years ago, what with Dr. Ebbett's, Mirror Spock, Yellow Dog, and the countless other bootlegers out there. It's constantly surprised me that they seem to have quite a relaxed attitude regarding bootlegs.

Indeed. When I was a kid in the late seventies, bootlegs of the Get Back acetates and the Sweet Apple Trax series were no more difficult to find than Parlophone pressings of Beatles For Sale. The trick was simply to keep an eye on the stores carrying them so you could snatch them up before the other guys. The record industry's interest in bootlegging has been sporadic at best in my experience, and I suspect that's because at bottom bootlegging is just too small a thing to affect them much. Only a few acts are really bootleg-able, and the material available is second rate anyway: rather than launch an all out assault on the bootleggers (who will only pop up again somewhere else later), the smarter approach is to do what Dylan and The Beatles did in the nineties and release the best bits officially.

There have been occasional efforts to clamp down on bootlegging: a friend of mine who used to run a record store in Toronto told me that in the late nineties he was informed by one label rep that if he didn't stop stocking bootlegs in his used CD section at the back of the store he would be cut off from the label's new releases. The industry has also gone after specific bootleggers on occasion, too: Yellow Dog got busted a few years ago for their (ahem) Day By Day series, but even there it's probably worth noting that the charges were for having stolen Nagra film rolls more than the bootleg series itself.

Bootlegs aren't like illegal downloads of commercially available music: the audience for them is very small and the material being bootlegged is hardly top quality. That's not a threat to anyone's profits; it's merely an expression of a fan's interest. They can't let it get out of hand of course; but it's hard to imagine how it could get out of hand in this post-Anthology era: how much demand can there really be for collections of off line control room monitor mixes?

As for the official recordings, whose releases are now being bettered by people like Dr Ebbetts and Mirror Spock, the answer is obvious, and the same one that prompted the Anthology: Apple should put it out themselves.

Enjoy the Purple Chick series, Harihead; it's really quite marvelously well done; and don't forget the Lazy Tortoise titles as well: they're a sort of audio verite history of The Beatles, made up of demos, interviews, and live tracks. All great fun. :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »

Thanks, Geoff! I will look for both the Purple Chick series and the Lazy Tortoise ones. I love interviews and have a number downloaded, but it's a sporadic collection because it took ages on the dial-up.

how much demand can there really be for collections of off line control room monitor mixes?
WHERE ARE THEY!?!?!

*ahem* tries to resume self control*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 06:21:12 AM »

Quote from: 551
WHERE ARE THEY!?!?!

I'm looking for Volume 2 myself.  (teeth1)

http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=YD-085&section=1

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »

Oh, yes. Volume 2 would rock!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »

Enjoy the Purple Chick series, Harihead; it's really quite marvelously well done; and don't forget the Lazy Tortoise titles as well: they're a sort of audio verite history of The Beatles, made up of demos, interviews, and live tracks. All great fun. :)

I'd go along with Geoff's advice re: Lazy Tortoise.

The hits keep coming at the site. 11,384 yesterday!! The downside of all this is that I'm getting an awful lot more people leaving comments. Some people - who've presumably never used a computer in their lives - are having trouble downloading, and decoding, even though I've explained things time after time. I even made a section called 'Download Guide'!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »

Look for a series called Turn Left At Greenland from DarthDisc; too: it covers the 1964 US tour, something Lazy Tortoise hasn't done yet. Apparently there's a DVD set too, but I haven't found that.

http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=dd33&section=1

More could be done with the 1969-1970 period as well, but I suspect (or hope!) LT aren't finished yet. :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 11:42:48 AM »

More could be done with the 1969-1970 period as well, but I suspect (or hope!) LT aren't finished yet. :)

The tortoise has gone very quiet of late. Let's hope the warm spring weather brings him out of hibernation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 77 queries.