Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Photo session dates  (Read 1536 times)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
Photo session dates
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:29:48 AM »

Some seem very precisely documented, like, for example, Dezo Hoffman's May 1963 shoot with the grey collarless jackets, Don McCullin's July 1968 "Mad Day Out" with the fabs, or Robert Freeman's classic "With The Beatles" half lit August '63 cover photo.

But other, even very famous, photo sessions are much vaguer in date. When exactly did Freeman snap the cover pictures for "Beatles For Sale", for example? My library of Beatles reference books can get me no clearer than "Late 1964" or "The Fall". We know WHERE the session took place (near The Albert Memorial) we even know roughly what time of day (the light was fading towards early evening so the shoot had to be conducted pretty quickly). But a date? a month even?

Ditto their black turtle-necked romp among the plastic and polystyrene sheeting captured by Robert Whitaker. All I get is "1965" yet we have exact dates of his Butcher sleeve session, for example.

I'm just puzzled why these important photographic occasions aren't consistently and reliably documented somewhere. Or are they? I have yet to find a comprehensive online resource to which I can confidently turn. Can anyone help?

We know the day and time of The Abbey Road crossing yet I'm not even certain what YEAR (late '64? early '65?) the cover of the Beatles For Sale No. 2 EP was shot.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Photo session dates
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »

I spent about an hour before work looking through some Beatle books I have (haven't found the majority of them as they are scattered in boxes) but haven't come up with anything for you yet Mr. M.  Only thing I did find was December mentioned in some Beatles For Sale pics, but it wasn't for the cover photo.  There were no legitimate dates from that month either.  I'll keep looking when I can.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:05:19 AM »

I googled it and all I could find was that it was the fall of 64 when Robert Freeman did the shoot, nothing more specific on the date

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 12:45:42 AM »

Right.  it was an unpublished picture taken after the Beatles For Sale and before the Help! photoshoots.
I can stay till it's time to go

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 47 queries.