Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Because" & "Sun King"  (Read 2561 times)

ohyea

• A Beginning
"Because" & "Sun King"
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:32:49 AM »

First Wow is what I can think of when I listen to these two great melody's and amazing harmonized songs. I was wondering since both of these songs are very similary in sound (to me atleast) and very different from any other beatles recording ever, what would you catagorize them as? What type of sound do they have? I can't really explain them, I hope you help me out here.

And to give a thought to all of you. What if this kind of sound was the future of the beatles if they hadn't broken up?

Also do you agree that these two are very similar to each other and very differnt from any song they ever recorded before them?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: "Because" & "Sun King"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 05:21:56 AM »

A couple songs maybe similiar could be 'Dear Prudence', 'Here, There, and Everywhere', 'She's Leaving Home', etc,,,,

I'd consider the songs adult contemporary if I had to put them into a genre. The Beatles always harmonized well together though. Always.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »

I'd go with Tkitna. AOR is normally a bit of a dirty word, but that's what they are. I've always thought that Abbey Road was more a 70's than a 60's sounding album (as always one step ahead of the pack). Years before the satans spawn of REO Speedwagon and Styx. (joke) (sort of)
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:57:58 PM »

Quote from: 509

And to give a thought to all of you. What if this kind of sound was the future of the beatles if they hadn't broken up?

I think so. The whole style of the album is indeed ahead of it's time. It might have been the real new phase Beatles album. A whole new level of sophistication. Imagine Imagine being produced like this. Which perhaps is similar anyway. Just returns me to feeling sad that they did split up.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 02:21:11 PM »

Quote from: 185
I'd go with Tkitna. AOR is normally a bit of a dirty word, but that's what they are. I've always thought that Abbey Road was more a 70's than a 60's sounding album (as always one step ahead of the pack). Years before the satans spawn of REO Speedwagon and Styx. (joke) (sort of)

I get your drift. Those kind of very close harmonies, almost like it's the same voice that's been multitracked.

I couldn't dissagree with anyone on this one. I've never thought about it before, but Abbey Road could indeed be the first AOR album!!! So now they've in vented AOR and heavy metal!!

Also of note, I've always thought, Get Back/Let It Be was always meant to be an attemp to get back to what they were meant to be best at: live studio recordings with few overdubs. When clearly this is the sort of thing they really were best at.

ohyea

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:20:15 PM »

Whats an AOR album?

and Heavy Metal of course from "Helter Skelter"! 8)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:27:37 PM »

Quote from: 509
Whats an AOR album?

and Heavy Metal of course from "Helter Skelter"! 8)
Adult Orientated Rock. Born from FM radio demanding better quality sound and rock fans turning thirty. Boston's "More than a feeling" is often cited as the originator. Slick production and layered harmonies. As a tag it wasn't always flattering (unless you were an overthirty rock fan in the 70's).

don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »

Quote from: 483

also of note, I've always thought, Get Back/Let It Be was always meant to be an attemp to get back to what they were meant to be best at: live studio recordings with few overdubs. When clearly this is the sort of thing they really were best at.

It is ironic that John wanted his music of this era to be honest and immediate, but then goes ahead and comes up with the two most produced songs on the album. That boy just couldn't make his mind up.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

It is ironic that John wanted his music of this era to be honest and immediate, but then goes ahead and comes up with the two most produced songs on the album. That boy just couldn't make his mind up.

John certainly was an ambivalent character.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »

Oh, that boy was full of contradictions.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 06:02:44 PM »

Gospel

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:02:23 PM »

He also invited Phil Spector to produce that dead project (to do what exactly? ... TO OVERPRODUCED, of course!) ... hadn't he left the band in September 1969?  ::)

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 62 queries.