Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mona Best question  (Read 3566 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Mona Best question
« on: June 01, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »

I've been trying to find information but I can't find anything.  We know how Pete took his firing from the Beatles.  But how did Mona handle it?

Was she as devastated by it as Pete was?  I know Pete's depression became worse as the Beatles' fame increased so I assume Mona must have really felt deeply depressed about it, too.

Probably most people don't care much about her story but I think it's interesting.  Also, she was cast in a negative light just like Pete was.  For example, Pete was a lousy drummer, not social - Mona was controlling and the Beatles wanted to escape her grip, etc.

Not nice to be negatively memorialized the way this mom and son were - even to this very day.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Mona Best question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 11:32:34 PM »

Mona was furious.  She did a ton for those boys and then to sack her son when they get their record deal,,,,,.  Also her relationship with Neil Aspinall couldnt have helped. 

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 04:05:54 PM »

Mona was furious.  She did a ton for those boys and then to sack her son when they get their record deal

tkitna:  Yeah, I was thinking that, too.  She and Pete really helped those boys along in the early years.  We'll never know what would have happened without her and Pete's roles in their lives.  And as a mother, she had to have felt so bad for Pete.  I know I would probably have hated the Beatles if I were Pete's dad.

Still, I wonder how she came to grips with it.  For both her and Pete, their world wide fame was always staring them in the face.  I mean how do you deal with something like that?  What do you tell yourself in order to cope?  If Pete told himself, "Yeah, I was a bad drummer; I couldn't keep a steady beat; and I never smiled," that certainly wouldn't have made him feel better about being fired.  We all like to see ourselves in a favorable light.  So, I think, there was nothing Pete could tell himself in order to feel better.

So, yeah, I think it would be interesting to learn more about Mona's life after the Beatles.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:10:13 PM by Loco Mo »
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 11:59:59 PM »

Pete never did come to terms with it which is sad.  To harbor all that bitterness for so long has got to be awful.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 04:28:11 AM »

Mona was furious.  She did a ton for those boys and then to sack her son when they get their record deal,,,,,.  Also her relationship with Neil Aspinall couldnt have helped. 

Right, Todd. She certainly did.  There's a good chance that things would have turned out much differently for The Beatles without her help.

Pete never did come to terms with it which is sad.  To harbor all that bitterness for so long has got to be awful.

Pete Best and his band played a Fourth of July show in my town a few years ago.  I couldn't attend but a few people I know did.  They all remarked that there was cloud of sadness, and bitterness, surrounding him which was very obvious.
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 06:43:18 AM »

I remarked on a thread about the documentary from 2017 on Seargant Pepper (It was Fifty Years Ago Today I think it was called), that Pete was finally used in a way that wasn’t as negative as has been in the past.  In the doco he looked in great shape and was being much more positive, saying how he was grateful to be a small part of the story etc. Perhaps he was just playing nice but he at least seemed upbeat. He has made some money finally from the Beatles after anthology so maybe that eased the pain a bit.

In particular he told the story of how Mona lent John her fathers military medals to use on the Seargant Pepper cover. The fact that Mona lent John the medals suggests she’d got over things at least to some extent.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:46:05 AM by Moogmodule »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 06:54:55 AM »

In particular he told the story of how Mona lent John her fathers military medals to use on the Seargant Pepper cover. The fact that Mona lent John the medals suggests she’d got over things at least to some extent.

I was unaware of this, but that is good to hear.  Thanks for that tidbit Moog.

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 49 queries.