Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: AI and recreating voices  (Read 2882 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
AI and recreating voices
« on: April 20, 2023, 02:56:51 AM »

I assumed we’d get there at some stage but the capabilities of AI seem to be growing extremely fast. I heard of an AI generated song of a fake collaboration between Drake and The Weeknd. I’m not expert enough on these artists to be able to tell how convincing it was but from comments people were impressed.

So, it looks like soon skilled AI practitioners will be able to write new songs and recreate voices of dead artists. How would you feel listening to some generated tune with a dead ringer imitation of John? Or doing a Free as a Bird to demos by John with George like guitar and backing vocals.

My initial reaction is it sounds a horrible prospect.  I imagine the legal issues are huge but could even the threat of legal action shoot down everyone who might take a shot at creating a ‘new’ Beatles song?

A brave new world.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: AI and recreating voices
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 10:23:54 PM »

I assumed we’d get there at some stage but the capabilities of AI seem to be growing extremely fast. I heard of an AI generated song of a fake collaboration between Drake and The Weeknd. I’m not expert enough on these artists to be able to tell how convincing it was but from comments people were impressed.

I heard that, too, and it made me uncomfortable. Like you, I assumed we'd get there at some point, but not quite so soon.

So, it looks like soon skilled AI practitioners will be able to write new songs and recreate voices of dead artists. How would you feel listening to some generated tune with a dead ringer imitation of John? Or doing a Free as a Bird to demos by John with George like guitar and backing vocals.

My initial reaction is it sounds a horrible prospect.  I imagine the legal issues are huge but could even the threat of legal action shoot down everyone who might take a shot at creating a ‘new’ Beatles song?

A brave new world.

That is my initial reaction as well. I would shy away from a song such as the example you mention, for a number of reasons.

A brave new world, indeed. And one I'm not sure I'm comfortable in. (Not that I have a choice.)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 12:47:38 AM »

Me either. Just knowing the number of knowledgeable technical types in the world I can’t imagine any other outcome than we’ll be flooded with professional sounding fake tunes from the Beatles,  Elvis, Jimmy Hendrix  etc etc. I suppose if they’re done in a spirit of fun, ie The Beatles doing Wonderwall and clearly marked it’s ok. But I suspect it’ll go way beyond that.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 10:58:31 AM »

it may find its way into advertisements, then legal battles will ensue

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 03:12:59 PM »

^^^^^

Interesting! I'd forgotten how much I love that song.

I like the comment someone made: It did not “resurrect” him. Call me pedantic but not falling into lazy figurative language might be necessary to maintain our sanity.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 09:32:01 PM »

^^^^^

Interesting! I'd forgotten how much I love that song.

I like the comment someone made: It did not “resurrect” him. Call me pedantic but not falling into lazy figurative language might be necessary to maintain our sanity.

The commenter makes a good point.

Some comments were “doesn’t even sound like him” but I have to admit I think it sounds pretty credible. And this is just early days.

Looks like it’s all going to happen a lot faster than I expected.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 01:46:23 AM »

Must admit this is beautiful.

https://youtu.be/sqtgWShoAv4
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 01:59:02 AM »

This is good fun, here's Paul with the Jet song ;D

https://youtu.be/8dYGjYjYuKs
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 02:35:18 AM »

Wow, that really is beautiful. I'm getting choked up. It (or the original, in my opinion) would be a perfect song for the first dance at a wedding reception.  icon_love

I'm still not comfortable with this AI music trend, although I can't specify why, exactly. Its exploding much faster than I anticipated.

it may find its way into advertisements, then legal battles will ensue

Indeed. I'd be curious to know how that would be handled. I see the person who posted Grow Old With Me stuck in a quick disclaimer: "No copyright infringement intended." As long as someone isn't making money off of these creations then I suppose (per American copyright law, at least) they'd legally be in the clear.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 03:53:10 AM »

This is good fun, here's Paul with the Jet song ;D

https://youtu.be/8dYGjYjYuKs

ha2ha brilliant. I always thought that was such a Beatle rip off.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 04:01:38 AM »

https://youtu.be/sqtgWShoAv4

Um yeah.  Ok. Might need to readjust my concerns. That’s very nicely done.

One thing is that anyone who purports to have found a genuine tape of a Beatles concert is going to have to jump through hoops to prove it’s not just some AI

And I’m sure existing stuff like Star Club could get a real refresh using this type of technology.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 04:18:13 AM »

Mein gott.  What a rabbit hole. There’s dozens of these things popping up on YouTube.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 11:29:22 AM »

Mein gott.  What a rabbit hole. There’s dozens of these things popping up on YouTube.

I'm afraid to look.  :-\

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2023, 12:06:56 PM »

I'm afraid to look.  :-\

OK, well, I did look, and found this AI version of Freddie Mercury singing "Yesterday":

https://youtu.be/EkNcRMm9BLw

And The Clash's "Train in Vain," sung by Joe Strummer instead of Mick Jones:

https://youtu.be/K912qdS5vjQ

I still have mixed feelings on this. Some of these attempts are kind of fun, but I hope this trend doesn't go much further.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 10:14:57 PM »

I wonder if the novelty of doing this will wear off pretty quickly.

What is likely is the use of this by artists to tweak their vocals on records to keep them sounding young and at their peak. On one of the channels I saw they’d done a version of I Don’t Know off Paul’s Egypt Station with a vocal of Paul’s sounding like he did in the 80s rather than his older current voice. Now if Paul’s next album has him sounding like he did in 1966 people will cry foul. But current artists could theoretically keep their vocals on records sounding pristine for decades. Or at least reducing any sound of decline. I imagine the capabilities will increase to the extent they’ll be able to run their live vocals through software in real time to maintain the illusion in concert.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2023, 11:35:35 PM »

I wonder if the novelty of doing this will wear off pretty quickly.

What is likely is the use of this by artists to tweak their vocals on records to keep them sounding young and at their peak. On one of the channels I saw they’d done a version of I Don’t Know off Paul’s Egypt Station with a vocal of Paul’s sounding like he did in the 80s rather than his older current voice. Now if Paul’s next album has him sounding like he did in 1966 people will cry foul. But current artists could theoretically keep their vocals on records sounding pristine for decades. Or at least reducing any sound of decline. I imagine the capabilities will increase to the extent they’ll be able to run their live vocals through software in real time to maintain the illusion in concert.

Good point. OR just carry on miming in concert like quite a few do.

Just another way AI is working, my son in Melbourne is right across AI, working in the digital world like he does. He submitted an entry (one of the 25 words or less) into a competition using AI and won concert tickets, he's just done another to win an 8k 85" tv :)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2023, 11:47:04 PM »

Good point. OR just carry on miming in concert like quite a few do.

Yes. There’s is that  ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2023, 11:48:12 PM »

Just another way AI is working, my son in Melbourne is right across AI, working in the digital world like he does. He submitted an entry (one of the 25 words or less) into a competition using AI and won concert tickets, he's just done another to win an 8k 85" tv :)

Clever lad  icon_good

Is it a good concert?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.883 seconds with 70 queries.