Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Viva La Vida - Coldplay  (Read 11223 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Viva La Vida - Coldplay
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »

I bought Coldplay's new album yesterday  " Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends " and i like it .
It's a startling sounding album not what i expected .
 I only have one their  album's  " Parachutes "  i would'nt say i've been a big fan of there kind of music , i found them a bit pompous.
I think one or two of there singles have been OK " The Scientist and Speed Of Sound " inparticular i liked .
I hated the last album " X&Y " my ex had it and played it none stop " Fix You " drove me up the wall .
Viva La Vida on first listening is a much better album than it's predecessor , i think bringing in  "Brian Eno" to co-produce was a wise move the sonic landscapes he's created on the album are stunning , the ten good songs sit nicely in this landscape . It's a big sounding record with some brilliant guitar work from " Berryman " he really is a great guitar player ?
Chris Martin's vocal is very good throughout more relaxed than in the past and much less earnest and self-righteous , i found his type of singing in the past a real turn off , but on this album he proves what a good vocalist he his .
This album is going to be very big maybe a 20 million plus seller in time .
And i know Coldplay have their critics , but i think they have a classic album on there hands this time , it's a very good album , it filled me with joy , which does'nt happen everyday(wink1) (thumbsup)

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
Re: Viva La Vida - Coldplay
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »

Just got it too. Like it but not more than their previous. Though I'm still listening to it!

I have all Coldplay albums. It is my wife's favorite band.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »

I was reading early "Blur " was an influence on the recording of this album , i can't hear it myself .
Think the middle part of the album :

Lovers In Japan/Reign Of love , Yes ,Viva La Vida , Violet Hill are excellent songs . I like Chris Martin singing in a different key on some of these tracks , his voice sounds much fuller .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »

Coldplay hit # 1 on the Billboard singles chart with the title track of their new album " Viva La Vida " . They are the first British group to do so since  " The Spice Girls " with  " Wannabe " back in 1997 .
So well done Coldplay (thumbsup)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »

I like Coldplay very much. And now going to get it too!

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:02:43 AM »

I've only heard Viva La Vida, is that the one on the i-pod commercial? And Violet Hill, and I loved them!

Is the album worth getting?

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:23:08 AM »

Quote from: 668
I've only heard Viva La Vida, is that the one on the i-pod commercial? And Violet Hill, and I loved them!

Is the album worth getting?

I would say yes DSL i can't find a duff track on the album , it sounds great " Brian Eno " as done a brilliant job with the production and the soundscapes which they credit him for , it's superb album  i think .
(smile)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »

Heard the single today. Sorry, (barf4)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:31:52 PM »

Thanx DaveRam I think maybe I'll pick up the album :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 02:13:25 AM »

Quote from: 483

I was wondering if anyone else thought that. I can't stand Coldplay. Their music is mediocre at best. And Chris Martin is so full of himself it's sickening. He's like Bono lite.  Anyway, I guess I just don't get it.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 04:13:45 AM »

There's just enough in Brian Eno's production of "Viva La Vida" to keep me interested, but the lyrics are ponderous in a way that makes me grateful I'm 44 instead of 24. But that may be an old man's complaint, of course.

I like the Delacroix reference on the album's cover, but he was a man who wouldn't have sympathized much with Coldplay's sentimental drama.

Here Delacroix has man wrestling with his "better" angel:

... and here's a great example of his fascination with the savage intensity of nature:

The old romantics were far more conceptually ambitious than any of our modern ones, I'm afraid.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 06:16:08 AM »

I think this album is terrific , i can see Coldplay are not everyones cup of tea , but i like what they have done this album .
Their the  "Dire Straits " of the noughties and i liked them too (tongue7)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 09:17:10 AM »

Quote from: 216
And Chris Martin is so full of himself it's sickening. He's like Bono lite.

Excellent!! Thank god he's not Bono Full Strength Export.

I thought after their last album he apologised for their poor lyrics? From what I've heard I think he needs to do it again.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

Agree Paul the lyrical content of Coldplay is very 6th form , but you can't have everything .
Viva La Vida as great strings though puts me in mind of "Children Of The Revolution " T.rex . Mind you Chris Martin could never come up with a line like " I drive a Rolls Royce cos it's good for my voice " .
So lyrically they will  always grate .
I just think this time round they have made a great sounding album , thats certainly connectd with me .
 I'm also sure much of what i like about the album  is down to  " Brian Eno " it's maybe his best collaboration since he worked with Bowie on Low , Heroes and Lodger .
Clever man is Mr. Eno the first Roxy Music album way back in 1972 showed he was a musical visionary that album still sounds like the future .(smoking1)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »

Have just been watching  "Brian Eno " with  "Roxy Music " from 1972 on youtube there is some classic film of  " Ladytron and Editions Of You " , the later of which i have not seen before  "Eno" is  "Glam Fantastic "
I'm having trouble getting the link again , could someone help please ? " Editions Of You " as to be seen to be believed Eno and Ferry fighting for center stage (thumbsup)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »

I heard today that Chris Martin said that Coldplay was more popular than they were good. (or something like that I'll try to find the real quote) So, they wanted to make an album that was good on a music level.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 11:00:49 PM »

I heard "Violet Hill" and "Viva la Vida" and I love them both. It's amazing the success that Coldplay is achieving with this album. 1,400,000 copies sold in the first 10 days is the prediction. Wow!

Also "Viva la Vida" is their first #1 single in the U.S. and it's likely to reach the top spot also in the UK tomorrow. All very impressive.

They deserve it. They are probably the best artist from the last 10 years. :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 11:09:27 PM »

Quote from: 713
They deserve it. They are probably the best artist from the last 10 years. :)

Radiohead??

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »

Thought this was funny...and a little annoying:

Which is the best band in the world?
Chris Martin reckons Coldplay are 'the seventh best band in the world'. But is it even possible to measure who is number one?
June 9, 2008 10:00 AM

It's one thing to announce you're "the fourth best band in Hull", as the Housemartins did with a nod and a wink more than 20 years ago. It's another to claim, as Chris Martin has done without any apparent irony, that "Coldplay is only the seventh best band in the world". It's all false modesty, one suspects, for underneath that self-effacing exterior lurks a man with an almost psychotic belief in his own talents - remember his insistence that Coldplay's X&Y was going to be "bonkersly brilliant"? So the statement that Coldplay are "only" the seventh best band really means this: there are only a handful of groups who can compete with us; the rest are no-hopers.

It's all nonsense, of course. Martin says Arcade Fire and Sigur Rós are the best bands in the world, which suggests he has a very limited view of what defines great rock music. Like Coldplay, both bands deal in melancholy that serves, paradoxically, to provide uplift. Put it another way: like Coldplay, they're epic and bombastic. So if you're playing dirty blues rock, you won't be in the Chris Martin Musical Premier League; ditto if you play pastoral folk, brash pop or cool dance-punk. Even Noel Gallagher might be more open-minded than that.

There's simply no way to assess the best group in the world. Record sales? No, not unless you're willing to accept that the soundtrack to The Bodyguard - the seventh bestselling album ever - is the seventh best album of all time. Awards? Come on, no one takes the Brits and Grammys as gospel. Influence? How do you calculate that?

But if you're still seeking the truth, there's one question that offers it. Ask yourself this: what's your favourite band? There you go. That's the best band in the world, and don't let Chris Martin tell you otherwise.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »

Quote from: 483

i basically think the same.
i'm sorry, i've never got Coldplay,  :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.949 seconds with 86 queries.