Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is it about The Beatles?  (Read 4168 times)

Waspinators

• One And One Is Two
What is it about The Beatles?
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:28:23 AM »

I started listening to The Beatles in third grade. I'm in tenth now, and they remain the greatest band of all time to me. There's just something about the music these guys made that I can't quite put my finger on. Every album brings out memories (esp. Rubber Soul), eeriness (The White Album), melancholy (Let It Be), happiness (Please Please Me), and all sorts of stuff. I've been having a terrible semester of school, with grades dropping and failing algebra, and no matter how down I feel about it, putting on something like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" or "Octopus's Garden" always gives me a warm feeling inside that no other band has been able to match.  :)

Who else feels this strange, wonderful personal connection with The Fab Four? What is it about them that allows people to find such happiness in the music they made in those seven years?
<br />Back in the USSR, you don't know how lucky you are.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: What is it about The Beatles?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:00:01 AM »

Quote from: 736
I started listening to The Beatles in third grade. I'm in tenth now, and they remain the greatest band of all time to me. There's just something about the music these guys made that I can't quite put my finger on. Every album brings out memories (esp. Rubber Soul), eeriness (The White Album), melancholy (Let It Be), happiness (Please Please Me), and all sorts of stuff. I've been having a terrible semester of school, with grades dropping and failing algebra, and no matter how down I feel about it, putting on something like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" or "Octopus's Garden" always gives me a warm feeling inside that no other band has been able to match.  :)

Who else feels this strange, wonderful personal connection with The Fab Four? What is it about them that allows people to find such happiness in the music they made in those seven years?

Hey Wasp - I think it was mainly 3 things: they knew how to write songs that people would love, they had great vocals, and they knew just what to play/what not to play with their instruments. That last part I think is pretty important, it's amazing how so many bands are afraid to leave space between their instruments!

P.S. Remember, to get to where they were, the Beatles did a lot of incredibly hard things, but they really kept trying even when everyone said they really wouldn't make it. Fight the falling grades if you can, it makes it a LOT more likely that tomorrow will be brighter!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:15:43 AM »

I know just what you mean, the Beatles make me feel so much better whenever im down.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:57 AM »

Quote from: 736

I'm in tenth grade TOO! same with me. their music just like fills a void in my soul!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »

Quote from: 568
they knew just what to play/what not to play with their instruments. That last part I think is pretty important, it's amazing how so many bands are afraid to leave space between their instruments!
Hear, hear! Yes, people too often forget that less is more. Often, a silence or hint will draw someone in, much more effectively than a shout.

I also think part of the magic is that the Beatles (in the beginning anyway) did not take themselves too seriously. They were like, "We're just some guys, you know?" They were "themselves" in a world of manufactured product. I think the lesson is as valuable today as it was in their time; too many people are afraid of "offending", so they become very tame and bland. Risk-taking can backfire, certainly, but when it works, when someone produces something really fresh, it just stands out.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:28:53 AM »

Quote from: 551
Hear, hear! Yes, people too often forget that less is more. Often, a silence or hint will draw someone in, much more effectively than a shout.

I also think part of the magic is that the Beatles (in the beginning anyway) did not take themselves too seriously. They were like, "We're just some guys, you know?" They were "themselves" in a world of manufactured product. I think the lesson is as valuable today as it was in their time; too many people are afraid of "offending", so they become very tame and bland. Risk-taking can backfire, certainly, but when it works, when someone produces something really fresh, it just stands out.

The big labels have become increasingly less likely to release anything that's too risky, for fear of a flop. They've shot themselves in the foot for so long now, that they just can't afford a large scale failure.

Yesterday I read that Annie Lennox has been dropped by her record company. She (with Dave Stewart) is responsible for some of the biggest hits of the 80's and 90's, and that's what loyalty does for you. At a time when record labels are decrying the downfall in CD sales, she is just the kind of artist that they need to keep hold of. I can't see many 40-50 year olds downloading her albums, they'll want the CD. Sony have lost touch with reality, and done exactly the thing that will cause them more woe.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:51 AM »

I agree 100%.  There is something about The Beatles that really touches my heart.  I love going on long road trips and playing all their albums from beginning to end, singing along.  I listen to them all day at work (ok so i throw some other stuff in there too occasionally  ;) ).  They really are something special!
<br />

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »

They have some kind of magical aura.
I don't think they will ever be matched.
I've been pretty obsessed since I was 12. I'm old now.
I can't explain it really. I like other bands, but I love the Beatles.
Messrs Lennon and McCartney were extremely gifted when together.
Less so apart.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 03:21:18 AM »

How did you find this one Nim? 2008 seems a lifetime ago.

You’re right though. There is something magical about them. For me the Beatles are so far above other bands that they’re in a totally different league. And like you, I like a lot of other bands and artists.

Funnily enough when bands are put forward as Beatle-like I usually don’t like them. They usually come across as too poppy or light. The Beatles managed to be pop but have a bit of hardness to their sound at the same time. They were never wimpy, either in their early “boy band” days, or at the height of flower power when lots of bands came across as a bit effete.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 05:03:37 AM »

How did you find this one Nim? 2008 seems a lifetime ago.

You’re right though. There is something magical about them. For me the Beatles are so far above other bands that they’re in a totally different league. And like you, I like a lot of other bands and artists.

Funnily enough when bands are put forward as Beatle-like I usually don’t like them. They usually come across as too poppy or light. The Beatles managed to be pop but have a bit of hardness to their sound at the same time. They were never wimpy, either in their early “boy band” days, or at the height of flower power when lots of bands came across as a bit effete.
I know exactly what you mean.
Ive seen a few tribute bands, pretty ordinary a lot of them, the best was on a cruise ship, they were from Liverpool, they captuted the early Beatles quite well.
If you get that Australian crew doing the White Album where you are I wouldn't bother. The guy doing Lennon songs trying to sing Happiness Is A Warm Gun or Dear Prudence was laughable... cost us $120 bucks each as well.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 11:51:10 AM »

They have some kind of magical aura.
I don't think they will ever be matched.
I've been pretty obsessed since I was 12. I'm old now.
I can't explain it really. I like other bands, but I love the Beatles.
Messrs Lennon and McCartney were extremely gifted when together.
Less so apart.

many of us are old now, lol
The Beatles mean more to me now than 30 years ago, when I thought I knew everything.
I will, however, content that they also are extremely underrated.  Not enough credit is thrown their way as silly as that sounds

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 08:36:38 PM »

I know exactly what you mean.
Ive seen a few tribute bands, pretty ordinary a lot of them, the best was on a cruise ship, they were from Liverpool, they captuted the early Beatles quite well.
If you get that Australian crew doing the White Album where you are I wouldn't bother. The guy doing Lennon songs trying to sing Happiness Is A Warm Gun or Dear Prudence was laughable... cost us $120 bucks each as well.

Yeah I’ve never much been into the tribute bands. That White Album show did come to Canberra but I didn’t go see it. I’d heard mixed reviews. Nothing against seeing Beatle songs performed but can’t beat the originals.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:54:26 PM by Moogmodule »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 10:55:25 PM »

many of us are old now, lol
The Beatles mean more to me now than 30 years ago, when I thought I knew everything.
I will, however, content that they also are extremely underrated.  Not enough credit is thrown their way as silly as that sounds

Instant blood boil for me is “the Beatles were overrated” that pops up on social media whenever their name comes up.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 11:18:51 PM »

Yeah I’ve never much been into the tribute bands. That White Album show did come to Canberra but I didn’t go see it. I’d heard mixed reviews. Nothing against seeing Beatle songs performed but can’t beat the originals.

Some tribute bands are pretty good, Moog.  The Fab Four have been please pleasing us for years...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkVBJII_RX8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkVBJII_RX8</a>

And The Fab Four is a great Rutles tribute band too...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JTy_YkoJi8&amp;feature=emb_title" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JTy_YkoJi8&amp;feature=emb_title</a>

The Beatles are the only band with a tribute band that is a tribute band of a Beatles tribute band.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 06:00:38 PM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 09:52:09 AM »

I’m sure there’s some good ones. There was one doing the rounds in Sydney in the 80s called the Beat Boys or something. They didn’t do the costumes, they dressed more like The Knack. But they did a lot of the Rubber Soul era stuff with the harmonies and all. And did them well. They were good

In contrast I saw a mob called The Beatnix at a club  who did the whole costume thing through each era. They were ok but the show was a bit lifeless. Strict adherence to chronology doesn’t always make for the most exciting concert. 

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »

The Beatles are the only band with a tribute band that is a tribute band of a Beatles tribute band.   ;D

Wow that's true  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »

Wow that's true  ha2ha

Yes It Is...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0c4BuZQY5E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0c4BuZQY5E</a>

icon_good

I can stay till it's time to go

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 03:36:31 PM »

I think one of many things which set them apart from and above everyone else was their intangible ability to be "All things to all men". Even in their supposedly simplistic early days they were pathfinders, breaking new ground with deceptively clever chord progressions, introspective lyrics  etc. In the later, studio-bound experimental years they somehow still retained that cross-generational, radio-friendly mass appeal.

I cannot think of anyone else who could combine all of this re-invention and sustain it so authentically and consistently for so long on so many levels. They wrapped it all up in quicksilver humour and delightful sponteneity which left their peers and successors lumbering. Of course the teenagers fell for them, but Grandmothers and infants loved them as well and so did concert pianists and cynical music critics. God knows how, but aside from those poor unfortunates who've never been able to "get it", they never lost traction with either end of the spectrum whilst wooing and wowing the other. I really don't think anyone else could do this - and keep on doing this - like they could.

It's as if someone with broad but relatively shallow popularity like, say, Take That or The Osmonds had the gravitas and cool credibility of, for example, Pink Floyd... or to flip that around, imagine someone with the rock credentials of Cream or Jethro Tull simultaneously sustaining the commercial adoration akin to that of Abba or The Backstreet Boys. A clumsy analogy, I know - but if you could then blend all the positive elements out of those combinations, multiply it a hundredfold and mix in a considerable splash of magic, in my opinion you'd still only be approaching the once in a millenium freak brilliance of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »

Well said (or written) Mr M

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 12:26:37 AM »

Great post Mr mustard.
I always thought it typical of The Beatles to have Tomorrow never knows and Yellow submarine on the same album, 2 songs World's and world's apart.
Grandparents parents and children succumbed to sing along with one whilst the other encompassed the counter culture, appealing to academics, pre hippies, the underground movement and of course critics.
Only the Beatles seemingly could achieve this kind of diversity.
It's almost like they were different bands within a band.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.711 seconds with 86 queries.