Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 188794 times)

SpiritW72

Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #640 on: May 21, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »

I first discovered The Beatles watching the Saturday morning cartoon back in '65 or thereabouts when I was but 3 years old  :)
They've always been a part of my life. On the car radio or in the candy store where the gum card packs and fanzines and shlocky plastic toys were on display!  Having living memories of them that stretch all the way back to the mid to late 1960's has always been precious to me. It might have been nice to be a teen or tween in '64 and have massive crushes on them (Ahem...John). But I love how I got to know them from a child's POV, first! The first time I was aware of the non-cartoon Beatles was June '67 when my older brothers bought and played Sgt. P, over and over. And I have a clear and beautiful memory of watching AYNIL when it was broadcast live on satellite to my local (WNET-NY) public TV station right about the same time.
I recollect everything that followed from that point including sitting in the car listening to the radio news announce that they'd split in April 1970. My grandpa said; "Oh, that's a shame. They were pretty good for kids' music!" 
But it wasn't until 1975, when one Saturday night Help! and AHDN were played back-to-back on TV. The evening started off as a fun thing to watch and laugh at with my brothers but they had checked out before AHDN started and I was left alone to watch and have an epiphany of sorts--this was the most joyous, glad-to-alive, cooler-than-anything group of wondrously talented attractive magical guys I'd ever seen. I decided then and there I'd never find any entertainment to top The Beatles. I subscribed, bought in, adopted the whole deal, ethos, way-of-being, thinking and feeling right there.  The rest was just filling in the missing parts of my knowledge, stitching in those precious childhood memories and employing my very geeky love of mastering the historical, cultural contexts of an extraordinary phenomenon. Not to mention just filling myself with all that music! That's when I trul DISCOVERED The Beatles  ;D

Nicky Sedgwick

• One And One Is Two
  • I like starving, it keeps the fear up :)
« Reply #641 on: May 22, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »

I've always known the Beatles thanks to my father, as far as i remember, they're a part of my life like Bob Dylan, the Byrds and etc. They're so much better than the guys my friends listen to !

beatlesstory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #642 on: May 24, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »

I discovered the Beatles through my music teacher age 13ish. Plus i'm from liverpool so couldn't really hide.... Well, now i cycle past Mendips and strawberry fields everyday. I work in the beatles story!!!! and live 2 minuets from arnold grove. o and i walk past st.peters church about twice a week and hang out in the canvern/jak/grapes regularly...pretty much got the perfect life.!!
its his, and you say whats mine and somebody else says were what is

byronlewis

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »

I discovered them through the cartoons back in a local children program. I liked their music and I became curious because I remembered my older cousins talking about The Beatles. After that I gradually became addicted to The Beatles.

LSD

• Getting Better
  • My lovely George
« Reply #644 on: June 20, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »

This is long over due.

I found out about them through my mom. She just always had their music playing in the background.I can remeber days driving to the market and hearing the instrumental to "And i lover her" and just giggling and humming along.  After arriving home with fresh fruit I can remember sitting on the front steps listen to the Revolver Album just staring at the sea and eating mangos and pineapples and just feeling at ease.
I think that sense of pure bliss just makes me love them now even more. Its like tuning into apart of my childhood.  ;D
I Me Mine.

Tomo

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #645 on: August 11, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »

Well, hello! I'm Tomo (that's basically Tom:).

I find this forum very nice. I've been participating in DM's daily quiz for some time now (with mixed results) and decided I should join.

I really love The Beatles, though they were not my childhood favourites or anything. I kind of slowly started to love them, for a lack of a better word. I must admit that I'm primarily a Bob Dylan fan.
My favourite Beatles' album is Sgt. Pepper, most of the time. Favourite song is Happiness is a warm gun or Nowhere man or...

Well. I was born in '85 and ever since I discovered old records by my father and uncle, The Beatles were a band that somehow floated around. But i was so occupied with dylan and the doors (which i still am:) that I never payed any special attention to them, not even when I bought my first cd of theirs, Help!. Then I bought Revolver, beacuse i read somewhere it's the best album of all times. I liked it but wasn't exactly blown away. It was only a few years ago when I started to listen to Sgt. Pepper and then one night I just remained in front of my cd-player, singing every song and even imagining I am the leader of this lonely heart's club band! From then on I bought the remaining cds and saved enough money for Mono remasters and The Beatles are now firmly placed on the second spot of my musical influences...

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #646 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »

Don't worry Tomo, it's always better late than never.  The Beatles were a massive part of my childhood, but I was too young and silly to actually pick up on them seriously until much later.  They were right under my nose the whole time, and I never saw them as more than a slight interest...  and then one day I was kicked into shape, and I realised how much I actually loved them.  It doesn't matter when you discover it, just as long as you do.  ;)
Welcome to the boards!  Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

Tomo

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #647 on: August 12, 2010, 04:16:44 PM »

^Thank you for kind words. I'm still discovering a lot about The Beatles, and when I'll be able to come up with a meaningful question, I'll ask.. :)

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #648 on: August 12, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »

Trust me; any question, we'll gladly answer!  We've a good deal of Beatle expertise on these forums, there's an answer for most anything.  ;D

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.

Ann_field

« Reply #649 on: August 14, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »

Hi, everyone, I'm new on this forum.
I think it may be logical to start with answering this question.
I first heard The Beatles when I was 4. It was The Red Album, and my father used to listen to it sometimes.
Then, when I was 11, my friend turned on A Hard Day's Night LP for me...To say I was fascinated is to say nothing.... Then I borrowed it from her and was enjoing for hours.
That is how my deep love and admiration for the group started.

P.S. I asked my granny to tailor a Beatles suit for me (without lapels) and it was kind of a school uniform for me. I guess my schoolmates thought i was a bit crazy... ;D

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #650 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »

Hello there, Ann_field.  It's good to see the forums growing every day!  Welcome to DM's.  Help's always here when you need it.  ;)
Quite funny; my first experience of The Beatles was The Red Album when I was around 4 too, and AHDN was the first Beatles album I ever had a physical copy of.  The first original Beatles album I ever heard all the way through was Sgt. Pepper's though.
And there's NOTHING wrong with a Beatle-uniform!  I'd like one myself, in fact.  ;D

xxx

Ann_field

« Reply #651 on: August 15, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »

Jai Guru Deva,
thanks! the forum is wonderful and the people are very friendly! (It couldn't be otherwise on the Beatles' forum, i guess ;)
It's an interesting coincidence concerning the records))
This uniform was really cool, and besides, so convenient! I also used to wear a red turtleneck sweater with it sometimes and thought I looked like John in the beginning of
the film "Help"  :)

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #652 on: August 15, 2010, 07:30:41 PM »

Nice, I can just picture the uniform now!  The closest thing I have to anything like that is a pair of imitation Buddy Holly glasses...  I do have a picture of myself wearing them as a joke, but I mainly get taken the rip out of for where I usually keep them...  I have a record player which I named Buddy...  which obviously made my friends laugh heartily when they saw the glasses slotted onto the top of it, especially when I replied with "what?  Buddy can't see without his glasses on."  ;D

xxx

Ann_field

« Reply #653 on: August 15, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »

Haha, good idea!  :D 
My LP player is unfortunately out of order and seemingly beyond repair... Anyway, such a device is reminder of the The Beatles era.
I've heard, vinyl discs are becoming popular again (but not in Russia yet...) So who knows, maybe that's what is waiting for us after mp3s :)

Bobber

« Reply #654 on: August 16, 2010, 07:42:05 AM »

Welcome aboard.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #655 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »

I do love the crackle and pop of a record player, it's a comfort of mine.  :)
It would be fab if technology came full circle and vinyls were the hype again! I have a few friends who own vinyls but don't have a record player... There's just something great about Lps.

Xxx

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #656 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »

Welcome to The Forum, Ann.
I can stay till it's time to go

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #657 on: August 21, 2010, 10:13:07 PM »

a dedicated fan...i love those kind...

Jon

• One And One Is Two
  • I feel that ice is slowly melting
    • Revolving Soul
« Reply #658 on: August 21, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »

I was 11 when the Anthology documentary first aired.  I watched it with my parents, and was hooked from there.  I'd hear the Beatles before that, but seeing the impact and hearing the music together hooked me.

aerolls

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #659 on: August 23, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »

I was around 7 years old. My Papi would go away on these business trips and bring my brothers and I presents. One of the most memorable times, and one that profoundly changed my life for the better, was the day he came home with the Beatles Blue Album 1967-70 wrapped in a paper bag. I can still picture that moment watching the vinyl spin round and round and then hearing the crackling from the record as the needle drops and then the sounds, what magical sounds coming from the opening notes of Strawberry Fields Forever, I was not the same child after listening to this one song. Amazing. Every time I hear Strawberry Fields Forever it takes me back to the first time I heard the Fab Four for the first time.

It was my parents who introduced me to the Beatles. They are the reason I am such a devoted Beatlefan.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 81 queries.