Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: two best bands  (Read 6750 times)

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
Re: two best bands
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2005, 06:01:19 PM »

Quote from: somedude210
You can compare U2 to the Beatles

I Dont think you can compare U2 to the beatles, the Beatles Are simply better, To Me U2 is mojorly overrated, their songs are boring. i Mean some of it is alright.

Paul McCartney :)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2005, 09:14:40 PM »

simply put:
U2 has followed in the Beatles footsteps but they have rejuvinated rock and continue to help the world in anyway they can. to many people U2 is the Irish Lennon band. they have done everything that lennon has done and continue to do what Lennon left behind.

"Power to the People" and "Peace on Earth"!
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2005, 10:00:32 PM »

I think Bono has surpassed anything Lennon ever even imagined political wise. I mean, Bono meets with leaders, travels around the world and really gets his hands dirty It's not just an idea, he's actually doing something about it beyond what John ever did. I'm NOT putting Lennon down at all. I mean, for his time, he did way more than any other guy in his position. I just think Bono took it a little further. Music wise, they will never compare though. i don't see U2 as being innovators or even influencial to the point the Beatles were/are.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2005, 04:08:25 AM »

Praise the Lord (sorry if your not christian). That girl has just summed up my entire arguement for the most part! but part two as for being musically innovative...eh, they innovate but they are behind the beatles. not close though, you're right, but second non the less. If the Beatles is rock's God, then U2 is rock's Jesus!

Woo! i just went along the same lines as Lennon's comment!
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2005, 04:24:41 PM »

Dude.. watch what you say, eh... :)

I'm probably just being ignorant here, but I never really saw U2 as being innovative. I have nothing against them, I always thought that they always just did the same old stuff, but better than the rest.
I might be wrong here so feel free to correct me.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2005, 01:54:15 AM »

they helped to keep Rock up to date and in the standing during our really bad epidemic of Rap and emo music. they changed the the face of rockand kept it going through hard times by changing it to keep fellow fans satisfied. they changed the face of rock too and proved that you can make it political and still have awesome sound to go with it.

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 02:09:27 AM »

I like U2 but still I never considered them that great a band.

My favorite one is definately Sunday Bloody Sunday and Beautiful Day. Elevation and Vertigo, a more recent one, are also up there next to my favorites.

I never enjoyed With Or Without You and One much, though.

I can't say they're bad, they do have a lot of talent, however I never actually thought of them as one of the greatest bands of all-time. Definately above average, but not the awesome kind of band.

Sunday Bloody Sunday IS a genius song, though.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2005, 08:52:13 PM »

you know john lennon actually came up with a SBS in the 70's about the riots in new york. U2's SBS was about two bloody sundays during the IRA bombing runs. funny thing is, is that U2 didnt know about the original SBS.

U2 is still a great band, and there are probably more fans of them out there then almost all bands except the creme-de-la-creme of R&R, the beatles.

p8ntball370

• A Beginning
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2005, 10:34:38 PM »

I've got to admit; I'm not a fan of U2 at all. A lot of their songs I find to be unbearable to listen to. Because of this, I can't say that I clearly understand the topic at hand.

Simply put, how has U2 helped to 'redefine' rock, and 'change' the face or R&R. I just don't see it, at all!

On another note, Somedude, I don't agree with your very last statement. I dont think that U2 has the second 'biggest fanbase' in rock and roll history. I feel that there are many other bands, current or not, that have/had bigger fanbases. To say that U2 is basically the second biggest band in the world is, in my opinion, foolish. There have got to be many more bands in the world, that are more popular than U2.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2005, 11:10:25 PM »

this is coming from a unbias site, music.aol.com:

"Through a combination of zealous righteousness and post-punk experimentalism, U2 became one of the most popular rock & roll bands of the '80s. Equally known for their sweeping sound as for their grandiose statements about politics and religion, U2 were rock & roll crusaders during an era of synthesized pop and heavy metal. there rarely was a band that believed so deeply in rock's potential for revolution as U2, and there rarely was a band that didn't care if they appeared foolish in the process. During the course of the early '80s, the group quickly built up a dedicated following through constant touring and a string of acclaimed records. By 1987, the band's following had grown large enough to propel them to the level of international superstars with the release of The Joshua Tree. Unlike many of their contemporaries, U2 were able to sustain their popularity in the '90s by reinventing themselves as a postmodern, self-consciously ironic dance-inflected pop/rock act, owing equally to the experimentalism of late-'70s Bowie and '90s electronic dance and techno. By performing such a successful reinvention, the band confirmed its status as one of the most popular bands in rock history, in addition to earning additional critical respect."

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2005, 11:39:31 PM »

I like the early U2--War, etc.  But I don't like the 90s stuff as much--it's lost its "Edge"--too much synth not enough gee-tar.  

Great melodies all the way through their career.  And a kick-ass underrated rhythm section.  

I know this is a question of bands.  But I think that while the Beatles are the best, Elvis (and his various bands--especially at Sun and early RCA) are pretty damned definitive in terms of rock-n-roll.  Listen to the Sun sessions--it sounds like the incarnation of rock-n-roll.  All from a Memphis teenager from the projects.  Like John himself said to E, it's too bad he couldn't get back to doing the kind of thing he did at Sun.  

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2005, 12:49:48 AM »

^Yes. I'm of the opinion that the only thing of value that Elvis did was the Sun Sessions. And I think the Beatles did eclipse Elvis in every media form they were involved in.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2005, 04:19:31 AM »

i'll agree to that
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 67 queries.