Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New York Post: Paul blames John for Beatles' split  (Read 13743 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
New York Post: Paul blames John for Beatles' split
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:11:34 AM »

https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/paul-mccartney-blames-john-lennon-for-the-beatles-split/

A different version of the same article, without the cutesy lede (lead sentence) that the Post always includes:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/paul-mccartney-john-lennon-responsible-for-beatles-breakup

From the latter article: "When asked by interviewer John Wilson about the decision to strike out on his own, McCartney retorted: 'Stop right there. I am not the person who instigated the split. Oh no, no, no. John walked into a room one day and said, "I am leaving The Beatles."’ Is that instigating the split, or not?"

He sounds a bit defensive.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:22:38 AM by Normandie »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: New York Post: Paul blames John for Beatles' split
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 10:43:51 AM »

perhaps a little defensive but why not, he is the face of the split for 50 years now.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »

That wasn't a criticism, just an observation.  roll:)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 02:59:12 PM »

yep, i just wanted to express that he deserves to be defensive, I think he has taken a beating for 50 years on that topic.  I would say shared, and why does it matter?

What they accomplished in a short amount of time in volume and quality is astounding.  I love what-ifs, for fun, people shouldn't get angry at him, John , any of them for breaking up when they did or why they did.

Imagine a what-if : they break up when they stop touring...now...in this scenario, there is a right to be mad, but only because we know what the created after that point in time.  If Pepper and later never happened, we would never know.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »

yep, i just wanted to express that he deserves to be defensive,

Sorry for the eye-roll emoji. I guess I was getting a little defensive.  ;) 

I think he has taken a beating for 50 years on that topic.

He sure has. I imagine he's thoroughly sick of those questions.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:07:44 PM by Normandie »

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 05:49:10 PM »

The reality is that Paul is the Beatle who wanted the Beatles to stay together.  It seems very unfair how he is viewed as the break-up Beatle.  John and George had already made their dissent known.  Ringo was simply neutral.  He wasn't going to defect of his own accord.  The problem is that Paul made the break-up statement.  It's soft of like condemning the messenger, I guess.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »

yep, i just wanted to express that he deserves to be defensive, I think he has taken a beating for 50 years on that topic.  I would say shared, and why does it matter?

What they accomplished in a short amount of time in volume and quality is astounding.  I love what-ifs, for fun, people shouldn't get angry at him, John , any of them for breaking up when they did or why they did.

Imagine a what-if : they break up when they stop touring...now...in this scenario, there is a right to be mad, but only because we know what the created after that point in time.  If Pepper and later never happened, we would never know.

Well put.  I agree completely.
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 08:54:30 PM »

And anyway, everyone knows it was Yoko

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »

And anyway, everyone knows it was Yoko

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8CwKY3slXA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8CwKY3slXA</a>

;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 09:49:36 PM »

https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/paul-mccartney-blames-john-lennon-for-the-beatles-split/

A different version of the same article, without the cutesy lede (lead sentence) that the Post always includes:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/paul-mccartney-john-lennon-responsible-for-beatles-breakup

From the latter article: "When asked by interviewer John Wilson about the decision to strike out on his own, McCartney retorted: 'Stop right there. I am not the person who instigated the split. Oh no, no, no. John walked into a room one day and said, "I am leaving The Beatles."’ Is that instigating the split, or not?"

He sounds a bit defensive.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1CfYHxqh4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1CfYHxqh4</a>

BBC NEWS  11 October 2021

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 12:00:33 AM »

The reality is that Paul is the Beatle who wanted the Beatles to stay together.  It seems very unfair how he is viewed as the break-up Beatle.  John and George had already made their dissent known.  Ringo was simply neutral.  He wasn't going to defect of his own accord.  The problem is that Paul made the break-up statement.  It's soft of like condemning the messenger, I guess.

At the time Paul put "That" question and answer thing in the McCartney album, it looked for all the world like he was quitting.

John quit at a previous meeting but that was kept quiet, so we never knew about it. I think Paul made a mistake about that questionnaire.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 03:05:57 AM »

Sometimes I think Paul should have kept quiet.  Maybe John would never have made the announcement and who knows, maybe there'd have been another album.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 03:58:05 AM »

Sometimes I think Paul should have kept quiet.  Maybe John would never have made the announcement and who knows, maybe there'd have been another album.

Knowing John he could easily have changed his mind. What I think sealed the deal was Paul suing the others to dissolve the partnership. That was the no going back point.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 03:58:58 AM »

John was apparently annoyed that he'd been asked to keep it under wraps, which he did, but then Paul announced he was quitting very publicly.
Thats what I've read anyway, I think John said it also.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 1.227 seconds with 69 queries.