Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Song similarity to Dolly Parton song  (Read 1114 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Song similarity to Dolly Parton song
« on: July 08, 2022, 01:14:35 PM »

Last night, I was singing "All those years ago" in my head when suddenly I found myself singing "Here you come again" by Dolly Parton.  In fact, I couldn't stop singing them consecutively or almost together.

I think there is a similarity between these songs.  Can anyone else hear it and can you identify that similarity?  Thanks for helping me with this.  It's kind of puzzling to me.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Song similarity to Dolly Parton song
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 12:13:40 AM »

Haha well spotted Loco.
It's a bit of an interest for me this subject. The 2 songs have a very similar very similar hook. Similar tempo and feel, it's easy to start singing one then blend into the other. There are loads like this. I dont know who copied who with these songs, they were both 70's.

Saw Her Standing There = When The saints Go Marching in.

When you sing "I'll never dance with another, since I saw here standing there"  you could also sing "I want to be in that number, when the saints go marching in"

Or..
The Doors "hello I love you wont you tell me your name" could be "All day and all of the night" by The Kinks.

The Police, Roxanne copied by Bruno Mars, Locked Out Of Heaven.

And do you hear a certain Beatles song here ?

https://youtu.be/0Uc3ZrmhDN4
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 12:51:09 AM »

And there's Get Back and Get Up And Go...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0c4BuZQY5E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0c4BuZQY5E</a>

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 03:17:05 PM »

nimrod:  I looked up "What I Got" on Wikipedia and they compared it to the melody of Lady Madonna.  The more I listen to it the more I can hear this.  Not easy though.  I don't know if I'd ever have figured this out without the Wikipedia comparison.

Thanks for posting this.  It's fun to think about and to listen to again.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 10:58:09 PM »

nimrod:  I looked up "What I Got" on Wikipedia and they compared it to the melody of Lady Madonna.  The more I listen to it the more I can hear this.  Not easy though.  I don't know if I'd ever have figured this out without the Wikipedia comparison.

Thanks for posting this.  It's fun to think about and to listen to again.

Don't know how they got away with copying Lady Madonna like that, it's been a little interest of mine. I know of loads of examples :)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 09:58:37 AM »

Last night, I was singing "All those years ago" in my head when suddenly I found myself singing "Here you come again" by Dolly Parton.  In fact, I couldn't stop singing them consecutively or almost together.

I think there is a similarity between these songs.  Can anyone else hear it and can you identify that similarity?  Thanks for helping me with this.  It's kind of puzzling to me.

It’s weird they seem to bring to mind a similarity because when you sit down at a piano and compare them there’s not a lot of melodic commonality and the chord progressions are quite different. The only particular melodic overlap I could find was the jump from the fifth of the scale to the octave root in the refrains (… come a…. in Dolly’s and …all those…. in George’s). after those two notes the melodies then diverge. And Dollys seems slower than George’s so the tempos to me don’t match up. 

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »

Good timing!  I listen to Beatles Radio while I do my workouts in the garage. Crippled Inside came on.  I realised it has a similar melody to Don’t Pass Me By. Never noticed it before

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 48 queries.