Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any interesting Beatles facts you'd like to share?  (Read 9536 times)

NowhereMan

• One And One Is Two
Re: Any interesting Beatles facts you'd like to share?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 10:54:38 AM »

First one that came to my head: the working title for Love You To was 'Granny Smith', until the group being pressurised to enter a 'proper' name.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »

Some Beatles-meet-the-Beach Boys facts:

Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney were born just two days apart (Paul on June 18, 1942, Brian on June 20, 1942).

Brian once tried to write a song for The Beatles. It came out sounding an awful lot like 'Ticket To Ride' so he just kept it for The Beach Boys (the song in question was 'Girl, Don't Tell Me').

The Beach Boys recorded six Beatles covers throughout their career. 'Tell Me Why', 'I Should Have Known Better', 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away', 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and 'Back In The USSR' have been released, 'You Never Give Me Your Money' is still unreleased. Also, 'Imagine' used to be part of their live set for a while in the early 80s.

There are (for as far as I know) five officially released songs on which (a) Beach Boy(s) & (a) Beatle(s) collaborted:
- Mike Love helped Paul with the lyrics for 'Back In The USSR' in Rishikesh (1968)
- Ringo appeared on a released live version of 'Back In The USSR' by The Beach Boys, not sure if he sang or played drums (1984)
- Ringo played drums and timpani on the Beach Boys song 'California Calling' (1985)
- Brian sang on Ringo's solo track 'Vertical Man' (1998)
- Paul sang and played guitar on Brian's solo track 'A Friend Like You' (2004)
(according to Beach Boys historician Andrew G. Doe, the famous story about Paul McCartney chewing raw vegetables on the song 'Vegetables' is false)

Carl Wilson's father Murry (also the group's manager at the time) called him "a traitor" when he found out he had Beatles posters in his room.

NowhereMan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 09:22:07 AM »

McCartney when he was younger had a pet mouse, and after leaving it on a bright sunny day, he returned to find it sunburnt - fortunately the mouse survived, however after the event Paul decided to drown it - All You Need Is Love? PAH!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »

McCartney when he was younger had a pet mouse, and after leaving it on a bright sunny day, he returned to find it sunburnt - fortunately the mouse survived, however after the event Paul decided to drown it - All You Need Is Love? PAH!

Great. So far we've had stories of the young Paul killing frogs and drowning pets. Isn't that how serial killers start out?
Maybe Paul killed Stuart, then Brian, then John.....anyone's who was a threat....
don't follow leaders

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 01:12:20 PM »

Great. So far we've had stories of the young Paul killing frogs and drowning pets. Isn't that how serial killers start out?
Maybe Paul killed Stuart, then Brian, then John.....anyone's who was a threat....

Watch out there Kevin, you might get those "Paul is Dead" people thinking....  ha2ha

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »

Haha

George was the co-founder of handmade flims
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »

In 1980 when John talked about his 1981 tour which sadly never happened he said he wanted to do a new version of I Want To Hold Your Hand

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 08:12:37 PM »

Watch out everyone, it's nearly Halloween and Euan's on 666 posts! ;)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »

Some Beatles-meet-the-Beach Boys facts:

Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney were born just two days apart (Paul on June 18, 1942, Brian on June 20, 1942).

Brian once tried to write a song for The Beatles. It came out sounding an awful lot like 'Ticket To Ride' so he just kept it for The Beach Boys (the song in question was 'Girl, Don't Tell Me').

The Beach Boys recorded six Beatles covers throughout their career. 'Tell Me Why', 'I Should Have Known Better', 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away', 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and 'Back In The USSR' have been released, 'You Never Give Me Your Money' is still unreleased. Also, 'Imagine' used to be part of their live set for a while in the early 80s.

There are (for as far as I know) five officially released songs on which (a) Beach Boy(s) & (a) Beatle(s) collaborted:
- Mike Love helped Paul with the lyrics for 'Back In The USSR' in Rishikesh (1968)
- Ringo appeared on a released live version of 'Back In The USSR' by The Beach Boys, not sure if he sang or played drums (1984)
- Ringo played drums and timpani on the Beach Boys song 'California Calling' (1985)
- Brian sang on Ringo's solo track 'Vertical Man' (1998)
- Paul sang and played guitar on Brian's solo track 'A Friend Like You' (2004)
(according to Beach Boys historician Andrew G. Doe, the famous story about Paul McCartney chewing raw vegetables on the song 'Vegetables' is false)

Carl Wilson's father Murry (also the group's manager at the time) called him "a traitor" when he found out he had Beatles posters in his room.

Thanks Joost for this information. I love learning about Beach Boy-Beatle connections.  Anymore while you're at it??
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:37:14 AM by Bobber »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »

Thanks Joost for this information. I love learning about Beach Boy-Beatle connections.  Anymore while you're at it??

There is one cover song that has been released by both The Beatles and The Beach Boys: Rock And Roll Music.

Paul once visited Brian at home in the mid 70s, but left after a few minutes because Brian had locked himself in a closet and refused to come out.

After the release of 'Love', Brian asked George Martin to create a similar album with the Beach Boys' music. Martin kindly declined.

Paul visited the 'Smile' sessions while The Beach Boys were working on the song 'Vegetables'. He gave them a sneak preview of the not yet released 'Sgt. Pepper' album by performing 'She's Leaving Home' solo and playing them an accetate of 'A Day In The Life'.

In NME's 1966 readers poll, The Beach Boys were chosen as Top World Group, beating The Beatles by just 101 votes.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »

On The Beatles First US Visit theres a scene where John is playing a little organ thing and he actually plays what sounds like the intro of Strawberry Fields and it would be another 2 years until he wrote it. Weird

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »

On The Beatles First US Visit theres a scene where John is playing a little organ thing and he actually plays what sounds like the intro of Strawberry Fields and it would be another 2 years until he wrote it. Weird

yeah, i noticed that before anybody told me, very strange, it must have been in the back of his
mind then!  :o

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bobber

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »

The End used to be a big fan of this theory: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=4312.0

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 11:23:38 AM »

For The Beatles Anthology singles Paul,George & Ringo almost recorded Grow Old With Me but they stuck to Real Love. To be honest I think they made a good choice.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:38 AM »

Paul and Ringo are left-handed but they both play the drums in a right-handed position.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »

Paul and Ringo are left-handed but they both play the drums in a right-handed position.

yah and Ringo writes with his right hand. It's a very confusing situation.  ???
but he plays sports with his left.

My dad is kind of like this. He is left handed, but he plays sports like baseball and golf with his right hand. But he writes with his left. I don't get it.

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Bobber

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »

Pete Best spent far more time on stage with The Beatles than Ringo. ha2ha

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »

yah and Ringo writes with his right hand. It's a very confusing situation.  ???

Ringo is naturally left-handed but was forced to write with his right hand in school.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 05:18:01 AM »

Ringo is naturally left-handed but was forced to write with his right hand in school.

yeah I read his Grandma made him write with his right hand. Why would you do that? I don't understand.

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 05:38:39 AM »

It's a cruel thing to do, indeed.  It's still being done, I'm afraid.  Left-handedness was associated with being awkward and clumsy.  It's not appropriate to force right-handedness on a "lefty" when his brain isn't wired that way.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.923 seconds with 84 queries.