News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yes  (Read 4589 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
Yes
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:01:53 AM »

what a fantastic band they are, im only just getting back into them and have a few of there albums and a greatest hits album.

what a voice Jon Anderson has even still now and from watching concerts hes still as good as back when the songs were recorded, howe has got to be one of the most underrated guitarists around his work is really unconventional and extremely quirky yet melodic.

squire and Bruford were a really tight unit and squire is very unique player, i don't usually like bass players who play there bass likes its a guitar as it usually doesn't do anything for the song for me opting more for McCartney styled playing but wow he is fantastic.

i think after listening to fragile i shall have a delve into some of there other works, how great are songs like long time runaround, roundabout, survival.......
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Yes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »

'And You And I'...chilling.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:05:16 AM »

YES is incredible. Theres really nothing more to say or add.

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »

I absolutley love this band, I've had the pleasure of seeing them live four times and there's talks of a 40th anniversary tour and a handful of shows possibly including a wide array of past and present members like how the 1991 - '92 tour was done.

Close to the Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans and Drama are my favorite albums from them. There's also a great Vanilla Fudge style arrangement of Every Little Thing on their self titled first album.

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »

You seem to have great taste Sea Of Time , but you have suprised me in liking Drama , which is without Jon Anderson , call me a stick in the mud but Yes without Jon Anderson is`nt Yes .
As for the 40th annirversary tour its looking like next year  :-/
Steve Howe is on Tour with Asia in March[ i`ve got my ticket ] , so, it not looking as if the tour is just around the corner , heres hoping though  ;)      
Wallflower Has Blossomed

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »

I like Drama because they managed to successfuly have a more hard edged sound to some of the songs. I view it as a more streamlined approach to the direction taken on Relayer. I prefer Jon to be there to sing but it isn't make or break for me, if Chris Squire were to not be there that's when I would not consider it Yes.  

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »

Ive never heard a Yes album are they anygood  ? and which one do you suggest i try first ? :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:15:17 AM »

That's a tough question to answer. There are different periods of Yes, and many different line ups. Some fans prefer one line up over another, and nearly everyone disagrees! Personally I prefer the pre Alan White Yes, up to the album Fragile (4th album), Relayer, and Going For The One. Fragile is my favourite, containing shorter songs than what was to come on subsequent albums.

Your best bet is to get a selection of different periods from the library, or a good 'Best Of'. There are people here more knowledgeable than I on Yes, post 'Going For The One'.

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »

You may want to start of with a best of and there's a few to chose from. A few are out of print but not hard to find at used stores or e-bay;

Classic Yes (compiled by Yes bass player and founding member Chris squire)

Yesstory (2 cd's of highlights from their 1991 boxed set, this is the one I recommend most to people, you get alot of essential songs and get to hear several different lineups and eras from the first album from 1969 up through 1987.)

and

Higlights: The Very Best of Yes (this 1993 compilation has Yes' four hit singles Roundabout [in it's 9 minute album version], Wonderous Stories, Owner of a Lonely Heart and Leave it.)

There is a more recent best of called the Ultimate Yes but I don't really recommend this one, disc two has a lot of chopped up single edits and radio mixes of songs.

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »

I've seen Yes 5 times, more than any other artist starting with the Fragile tour going up to Union. They're one of my favorite post-Beatle era bands along with ELP, King Crimson and Zappa. After The Beatles split, I just progged-out big time.

As for the best lineup, I'd probably go with the Fragile/CTTE set. As a former drummer myself, Bruford is definitely the one. However, Relayer is one of my favorite albums, almost on par with CTTE. Bringing in Patrick Moraz on keys gave a nice fresh jazzy feel to their music, instead of Rick's constant classical musings. Fusion was getting quite popular in '74 with Mahavishnu, Weather Report and Return To Forever, so Yes took the smart step and followed along. That album was a real breath of fresh air after the over indulgence of Tales (I fell asleep during the show on that tour! Still not a bad album though). Never really liked the Yes West (with Rabin) stuff much. I was in the Navy at that time and when I saw people dancing to Yes in the clubs, I knew something wasn't right!
Henry the Horse

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »

Im going to check out Fragile and Going For The One  :)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »

^ Going For the One is a classic album!

I love that band! Jon Anderson- what a voice eh? (some great songs with him and Vengelis too as well as with Tangerine Dream)

Turn of the Century, And You and I and Soon are at the top of my list.

Early albums such as Time and a Word are good.  

Quote from: 1036
Higlights: The Very Best of Yes
I love that album!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 03:05:33 AM »

'Fragile' is my favorite from them and one of my top ten albums of all time.

I will say though that I loved '90125' and 'Big Generator' too. I like Trevor Rabin a lot. Clean, crisp production.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 03:43:33 AM »

Quote from: 373
I like Trevor Rabin a lot. Clean, crisp production.

Alan White is good too, wouldnt you say?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 03:49:31 AM »

Quote from: 596

Alan White is good too, wouldnt you say?

Alan White is incredible. He catches some flack from YES diehards because he's a different drummer than Bruford. While Bruford was the epitome of a prog drummer, Alan has more of a session guys sound and feel.

I love both of their styles.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »

Quite interesting... same song, 26 years apart.

Leaves of Green

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »

^ ooh, nice one there KE 8)

Wow, I didn't even know we had a Yes thread 8) Love 'em!
My absolute favourites are And You And I, Turn of the Century and Roundabout.
I also like Beyond and Before, Long Distance Runaround, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Leave It and To The Rhythm of Love.

(musicnotes) :)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 11:41:47 PM »

I saw Yes one time in 1994............Trevor Rabin was with them and he was "the bomb".  Good-looking, talented man.  And the "90125" album from 1983 was the "backdrop" for my college year that year..........awesome!!!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 02:13:03 AM »

^ 1994, was the year Arsenal won the cup (I think...)

Here's Onward from the Present Tour... without Jon... uh-uh... not good

KRBFm_Q9IuI

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

I rented out "Yes-Classic Artists" on dvd to watch this weekend.  It's a 2007 production and the most comprehensive story of the band.  Anyone watched this yet????  Jeff and I are going to tackle this 3hr+ show later...........
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 86 queries.