Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Silly Love Songs  (Read 2078 times)

Wayne L.

Silly Love Songs
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:40:35 PM »

Silly Love Songs is pop pap at its lowest from Paul, despite the great bass line, because it's so mainstream, it's sick. I admit SLS sounds like a masterpiece 30 years later, but Beware My Love is a better song, without a doubt & should have been released instead, at the time.  
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Re: Silly Love Songs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 06:57:24 PM »

I agree, Beware my love is a better song and a lot better preformed live. I love Silly love songs and admire the fact it was basicall a F*ck you to all the stupid ignorant critics. Its a shame it had to go mainstream, and the fact that it did is the reasone why 50% love it and 50% hate it. Its bass line is very cool too, I love playing it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:45:15 AM »

I disagree. 'Beware My Love' is one of Pauls most overrated songs ever. Yes, it rocked a little and stands out on 'WATSOS' because of that reason, but its an extremely boring song that doesnt do much for me. Yeah, I get sick of 'Silly Love Songs' too, but theres a reason the song is played instead of 'BML'.  

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 04:07:11 AM »

I don't think 'Beware my love' is overrated, I don't even think its that well known of a song. I think the reason 'Silly love songs' gets played over 'Beware My Love' is because of the message it has, not necessarily because it is a better song than "Beware My Love".

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:57:51 AM »

Quote from: Wordno
I agree, Beware my love is a better song and a lot better preformed live. I love Silly love songs and admire the fact it was basicall a F*ck you to all the stupid ignorant critics. Its a shame it had to go mainstream, and the fact that it did is the reasone why 50% love it and 50% hate it. Its bass line is very cool too, I love playing it.

Wasn't it also a dig at Lennon for getting down on Paul for writing so many stupid love songs? I think it's a decent song. Especially for that time period. I hate the backing vocals though. That always ruins it for me. Oh can't you see, blah blah blah. Annoying.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:58:54 AM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.
Silly Love Songs is pop pap at its lowest from Paul, despite the great bass line, because it's so mainstream, it's sick. I admit SLS sounds like a masterpiece 30 years later, but Beware My Love is a better song, without a doubt & should have been released instead, at the time.  

If you replace Silly Love Songs with Ebony and Ivory or Say Say Say, then I'll agree. Silly Love Songs is a masterpiece in comparison.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 09:39:09 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

If you replace Silly Love Songs with Ebony and Ivory or Say Say Say, then I'll agree. Silly Love Songs is a masterpiece in comparison.

Gotta agree with that. Those songs with Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson were such sell-outs, Macca should be ashamed of himself. I think he was lost in the early '80s though, I think, there are some good songs on 'Press to Play'. But you're right Wayne, I'd take a sharp stick in the eye than listen to those songs, and I love Paul. The irony of Paul collaborating with MJ and giving him advice as to buying song copyrights, and then MJ buying the Beatles catalog because Yoko hedged is priceless. I don't understand why Ebony and Ivory was included in the '89-90 set list unless Sir Paul thought that it was good timing to have people use the WC or get a beer. Even worse, it was a duet with Hamish, who should be strumming, not singing.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 10:46:03 AM »

Am I the only person that actually likes 'Say, Say, Say'?

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 10:48:51 PM »

Quote from: tkitna
Am I the only person that actually likes 'Say, Say, Say'?

You know what? I think you are lol.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »

It's not bad if you've never seen the video, because it's so cheesy. I'd give the song a C+ to a B-, maybe more because, if you played it now with people that were around then, they'd be saying' "God I haven't heard this in years" and it would probably be alright.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:31:53 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

Wasn't it also a dig at Lennon for getting down on Paul for writing so many stupid love songs?

I think it was.  I like the song, alot.  Especially Paul's bassline.

I can stay till it's time to go

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 05:39:40 PM »

Quote from: Hello_Goodbye

I think it was.  I like the song, alot.  Especially Paul's bassline.

I dont understand what the hell you guys are talking about--it was released after John was dead. It's hard to imagine that Paul would still write a song like this after he'd released quite a few single's/albums 3 years after the fact:

Say Say Say - Front Cover Say Say Say - Rear Cover
Label Parlophone
Catalogue No. R 6062
12 R 6062
Country of Origin England
Release Date 3rd October 1983 (7" and 12")

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »

I think Hello Goodbye was talking about Silly Love Songs. Or am I wrong?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 09:20:01 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
I think Hello Goodbye was talking about Silly Love Songs. Or am I wrong?

Yes, I was referring to Sandra's comments regarding "Silly Love Songs."
I can stay till it's time to go

Wayne L.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 02:09:24 PM »

Silly Love Songs is a great song to me nowadays, but BML is an underrated McCartney rock track.  

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »

Quote from: Hello_Goodbye

Yes, I was referring to Sandra's comments regarding "Silly Love Songs."

Sorry.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 71 queries.