Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best Lyricist ?  (Read 6224 times)

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
Re: Best Lyricist ?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »

Paul writes good songs, he just sticks with the tried and true. I think john made songs because they had meaning to him, and he didn't care about his audience. Paul wanted to make songs that people wanted to hear.
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 12:38:05 AM »

Quote from: 758
i think there both amazing, but i think john could have come up with most of what paul wrote but maybe not the other way round.

Wow, I think you may have hit the nail right on the head, Fendertele! FWIW, it seems like when Paul wrote a song with deep lyrics, it always seemed to me that he wrote a "John" song, AND that he had to try awfully hard to do it!

E.g., "Eleanor Rigby" comes to mind, probably lots more but my brain cells seem to be evaporating rather quickly lately ...

Signed,

Algernon
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 07:26:12 AM »

I always thought of John as the wordsmith and Paul the genius with the melodies. John was always interested in wordplay and was an avid reader, everything from the 'Just William' books as a kid to his favourite 'Alice Through The Loking Glass.' At art college we devoured everything from the Beat generation books of Kerouac to the Angry Young Men writers in Britain such as Colin Wilson with 'The Outsider' to the San Francisco poets and the Olympia Press books from Paris. Paul, under the influence of his father, loved Broadway musicals and the great American composers of popular music - which is probably why he introduced numbers such as 'Til There Was You' and 'A Taste Of Honey' into their act.

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

SO they had the best of both worlds, music and lyrics. That's why they are so special.
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »

Quote from: 1062
I always thought of John as the wordsmith and Paul the genius with the melodies. John was always interested in wordplay and was an avid reader, everything from the 'Just William' books as a kid to his favourite 'Alice Through The Loking Glass.' At art college we devoured everything from the Beat generation books of Kerouac to the Angry Young Men writers in Britain such as Colin Wilson with 'The Outsider' to the San Francisco poets and the Olympia Press books from Paris. Paul, under the influence of his father, loved Broadway musicals and the great American composers of popular music - which is probably why he introduced numbers such as 'Til There Was You' and 'A Taste Of Honey' into their act.

Hi Bill - I had forgotten apparently, you went to art college with John? Geesh, I'm feeling weak in the knee just thinking about it.

As you know, I love your posts. If you were to feel comfortable sharing some more personal remembrances, that would be incredibly awesome. Some things I've wondered about ... how much of a life did John have that wasn't related to music, activities withPaul and George? Were the 3 together almost all the time, or did John have a strong set of social connections outside of the Beatles? Was Cynthia a strong personality back then? What was John's favorite beer?

I know there are a lot of things you may not want to share, but whatever crumbs you can throw to us all would be SO appreciated -

Thank you Bill!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 01:27:19 AM »

I want to respond to this but it would take too long. I'm a lazy poster lately.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »

John, Stuart, Rod Murray and I used to hang around at the Jacaranda. Paul and George didn't hang around with us at the coffee bar in those early days at the end of the fifties. When Alan Williams asked Stu and Rod to decorate the coffee bar with murals, the two of them did it, with a little help from Rod Jones. John and I didn't participate. Stu and Rod had painted murals at a territorial army club iin Norris Green and also did a mural of dockyard cranes at Ye Cracke, so the two had a history of painting murals together. The story Alan Williams concocted that John painted the murals with Stu is fiction, John didn't - and anyone who knew John's work can immediately tell when they see them. Rod was actually Stu's best friend at college and they'd always shared flat together since they first started at the college. Later, when Paul started coming to the Jacaranda, when Virginia and I left the Jac to go to Streates in Mount Pleasant, we often noticed John and Cyn and Paul and Dot necking in doorways. Almost opposite the Jac was a shop which framed paintings and in my life I have only done a single oil painting, one of Virginia, which I did in 1960 - nothing to do with my training at art college as I didn't have painting lessons there. It was above this shop that Norman Chapman used to practice on his drums.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 07:44:27 AM »

^he is a cool person (bill harry)
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »

Beautiful, Bill, thank you  :) :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Jon

• One And One Is Two
  • I feel that ice is slowly melting
    • Revolving Soul
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »

I voted for Lennon, but it is a very close call.  Paul has written some absolutely BRILLIANT songs, as we all know.  But John just seemed to stretch his limits, and pack more of himself into his songs.  But this is really one of those questions that I may answer differently every day.  Tomorrow I may think Paul is the best.

This Boy

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 02:51:16 AM »

I think John was better at writing lyrics. Some of his songs are just out there and make you think so much.
:)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 11:28:58 PM »

I think George is just as good (if not better) than John and Paul. George will always be underrated by the public i think. But people who really listen to his music and the lyrics, they'll realize how amazing he really is.

My vote is for George.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 12:02:31 AM »

I can't decide.  Mostly because each have their own style..and I like them all.  I think I might have to go with John...I haven't voted yet though...still trying to decide.
<br />

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 12:03:31 AM »

Also, I noticed you didn't even give an option to vote for Ringo... and I know it's pretty obvious why ... but that was a bit mean!  :P
<br />

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 12:04:59 AM »

I love George but I have to go for John on this one...  :)
I like John's lyrics and George's music

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »

SKY! How could you! Totally Kidding!

Ya Ringo didn't get an option, people might really be affected by Octopus's  Garden you just don't know! :)

dabbik

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 12:44:51 AM »

I picked George, but just because I'm a little George fan-boy :(

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

i think they were all brilliant lyricist! and they all had their own unique way of
writing. i do think George was such brilliant at writing lyrics, he did make you
think about things, specially in songs like All things must Pass & Brainwashed!
i think paul likes doing a lot of word-play in his songs.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »

I agree AndySmith they all had their own writing style, and all had those one lines that just make an impact on people.

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

Paul is able to write deep lyrics but hes lazy on that field.I think he concentrates more on the melodic part.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 95 queries.