Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Peter Jackson to direct a Beatles film  (Read 14389 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Peter Jackson to direct a Beatles film
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2021, 09:38:29 PM »

agreed, fun watching it and seeing new things

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »

another couple of things I was not up to speed on

- when they went to film/record all this for Let it Be they had just released the white album only 2 months prior, finished recording is a few months before that.  The pace, even at the end was incredible, new music all the time.

- The had so much of Abbey Road started, seedlings during this time, Something, Octopus' garden, Polythene Pam, Golden Slumbers, Her Majesty, Maxwell's Silver hammer, Mean Mr. Mustard, I want you, Oh Darling.

- plus they had a few that showed up in solo works shortly too

so in less than 2 years they recorded and released a double album (White) , Abbey Road and Let it Be.

AND it was normal for them to be that prolific

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2021, 09:49:08 PM »

another couple of things I was not up to speed on

- when they went to film/record all this for Let it Be they had just released the white album only 2 months prior, finished recording is a few months before that.  The pace, even at the end was incredible, new music all the time.

- The had so much of Abbey Road started, seedlings during this time, Something, Octopus' garden, Polythene Pam, Golden Slumbers, Her Majesty, Maxwell's Silver hammer, Mean Mr. Mustard, I want you, Oh Darling.

- plus they had a few that showed up in solo works shortly too

so in less than 2 years they recorded and released a double album (White) , Abbey Road and Let it Be.

AND it was normal for them to be that prolific

Yes if this was them having a bad month then it’s a bad month more of us should have.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2021, 10:33:18 PM »

Oh and not to forget another little tidbit treat for Yoko fans in episode 2!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2021, 11:20:59 PM »

Well, my appetite is sufficiently whetted for Episodes 2 and 3.  :) Today life got in the way.

Most people likely will probably deem this a trivial matter, but I thought the opening song–video clip montage was very well done. At 8 minutes, I think it provides a nice overview for more casual fans and, for us more dedicated fans, a pleasant trip down memory lane. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2021, 12:17:01 AM »

The most notable scene was George getting fed up with Paul's incessant criticism...

I was struck by how calm George was during this exhange as well as when he walked out. When I've read about these events in books, I pictured, in the first instance, George snapping angrily at Paul and, in the second instance, him (George) storming out, and this may well have been the case, given George's personality, but to me the incidents seemed much less full of drama than I anticipated.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2021, 12:48:22 AM »

in ep 3, Heather learns a trick from Yoko...

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2021, 01:48:42 PM »

you know, reading comments on FB and youtube from fans and haters about the documentary is both so therapeutic and angering. 

So many people are overjoyed by this production, this beautiful fly on the wall moment, if you can call 8 hours a moment. 

While there always is bias in any documentary, this dispelled some things I held as fact while providing some new beliefs of their relationships that hadn't been allowed previously.

Some of you may fall into the group of posters that might say- "I'm not paying to subscribe to Disney for this", some may also say- "i've bought or paid for so much over the years" - I urge you to get past it and watch these 3 parts.

If you are on these forums, you have professed your love of things Beatles.  These should not be shelved until you can get them on dvd (who knows when that will be). 

I've reconnected with a couple of life friends that share the love of the Beatles, texts have been flying back and forth over the last handful of days, its been great.  One of those friends, a very close friend who is a bit older than me let me know he has been battling stage 4 prostate cancer over last 6 months.  He let me know after I had gone on a bit about Get Back.  The next day, he texted me a simple thanks, thanks for giving him the tip on subscribing to Disney+, he loved part I.  Gave him a moment of release away from what he is going through I hope.

Sorry for the long rant - hope you all are doing well- hope you all take this project in and enjoy it as much as I have.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »

I'm sorry about your friend, blmeanie.  :(

Just finished Episode 2; I found it so wonderful, like I was right there in the studio with them, which was a great feeling. So far this project has given me a sense of the Beatles that I have never gotten from any of the books I have read or movies/documentaries I have watched. In my opinion it truly is, as one reviewer wrote, a Holy Grail for Beatles fans.

I thought it was fascinating to watch the various songs (e.g., Get Back, Two of Us) develop in real time, so to speak.   

Which was mercifully short.  ;)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2021, 09:27:58 PM »

Yes, there are many haters around  ;D
I was on a Manchester (English Premier league) soccer forum last night and there is a thread in off topic about Get Back. Manchester soccer fans pretty much hate Liverpool fans (main rivals) so they dislike the Beatles.
A few saying the later Manchester bands are way better, The Smiths, Stone Roses, Oasis, Happy Mondays etc. but happily a lot of Beatle fans on there as well, it reminded me of Brexit, such split opinions.  ha2ha

Anyway Im loving it. Theres also a sadness though which keeps rearing its head in my mind, only Paul seemed to want to work. Id have liked to be a fly on the wall at the meeting in Ringo's huge house the day before George came back.

I cant decide, did Pauls work ethic drive them apart, if he'd been more laid back would they have drifted but eventually got back together like The Stones keep doing, or was Paul doing the right thing in sort of taking over and being a bit bossy? Did Paul cause the split, or was it Yoko ?  ???

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2021, 09:58:58 PM »

I cant decide, did Pauls work ethic drive them apart, if he'd been more laid back would they have drifted but eventually got back together like The Stones keep doing, or was Paul doing the right thing in sort of taking over and being a bit bossy? Did Paul cause the split, or was it Yoko ?  ???

Allen Klein seemed to me to play a big part in the breakup as well, perhaps not directly, though. Or perhaps by the time he was introduced the band was already too far gone on that path.

I got choked up when Paul mentioned at one point—I'm drawing a blank on his phrasing—something along the lines of them getting together and singing when they were all old.   

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2021, 10:01:44 PM »

I've reconnected with a couple of life friends that share the love of the Beatles, texts have been flying back and forth over the last handful of days, its been great.  One of those friends, a very close friend who is a bit older than me let me know he has been battling stage 4 prostate cancer over last 6 months.  He let me know after I had gone on a bit about Get Back.  The next day, he texted me a simple thanks, thanks for giving him the tip on subscribing to Disney+, he loved part I.  Gave him a moment of release away from what he is going through I hope.

Sorry for the long rant - hope you all are doing well- hope you all take this project in and enjoy it as much as I have.

Sorry to hear that BLM that’s tough. I don’t doubt being able to watch Get Back would have been a great tonic for him.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2021, 10:02:34 PM »

Theres also a sadness though which keeps rearing its head in my mind, only Paul seemed to want to work. Id have liked to be a fly on the wall at the meeting in Ringo's huge house the day before George came back.

The sadness for me is when my mind goes to - there is no new content/songs, ever again. 

Paul's work ethic - if it wasn't there causing friction- it might have meant a later split date, but with possibility of less material, maybe Let it Be album or <gasp> Abbey Road never happens...  now I am happy that it went the way it did.

As for the haters - I have grown to shrug when someone hates or even says outloud that the Beatles weren't that good.

I am waiting for the cancel culture to come looking for removal of songs that imply things to , I don't know, girls that are only 17 for example?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2021, 10:10:35 PM »

Yes, there are many haters around  ;D
I was on a Manchester (English Premier league) soccer forum last night and there is a thread in off topic about Get Back. Manchester soccer fans pretty much hate Liverpool fans (main rivals) so they dislike the Beatles.
A few saying the later Manchester bands are way better, The Smiths, Stone Roses, Oasis, Happy Mondays etc. but happily a lot of Beatle fans on there as well, it reminded me of Brexit, such split opinions.  ha2ha

Anyway Im loving it. Theres also a sadness though which keeps rearing its head in my mind, only Paul seemed to want to work. Id have liked to be a fly on the wall at the meeting in Ringo's huge house the day before George came back.

But if they didn’t have Paul’s work ethic and sheer ability driving them they wouldn’t have achieved half of what they did and wouldn’t have been the Beatles. I think this version shows Paul in a better light. You can see he’s wanting to direct things but keeps pulling back. It breaks through every so often but as the episodes go on they all seem more collaborative. And happy with what they achieved. They rocked up to do abbey road pretty quickly so they mustn’t have been too put off.

As for the break up it was definitely Yoko sitting on George’s amp.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2021, 10:11:32 PM »

I am waiting for the cancel culture to come looking for removal of songs that imply things to , I don't know, girls that are only 17 for example?

Yep, Paul imitates a Jamaican accent doing two of us at one stage. He is so cancelled.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2021, 10:21:07 PM »

Allen Klein seemed to me to play a big part in the breakup as well, perhaps not directly, though. Or perhaps by the time he was introduced the band was already too far gone on that path.

I got choked up when Paul mentioned at one point—I'm drawing a blank on his phrasing—something along the lines of them getting together and singing when they were all old.

Yes. When we’re old we’ll all agree, we’ll all sing together. Something like that.  Very poignant.

I think Klein was a big factor. John’s divorce line opened the final rift but Klein meant Paul couldn’t or wouldn’t come back to the other three when it might have been possible. Knowing John he would have changed his mind in a few months.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2021, 10:23:21 PM »

you just made me remember the scene where John starts making out with yoko during a run through one song, wondered what was going on, then he announced that Yoko's divorce was made final...so...no cell phones, no texts, how did they just find out right then or did Yoko hold the news until just that moment?

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2021, 10:32:38 PM »

Yes. When we’re old we’ll all agree, we’ll all sing together. Something like that.  Very poignant.

I think Klein was a big factor. John’s divorce line opened the final rift but Klein meant Paul couldn’t or wouldn’t come back to the other three when it might have been possible. Knowing John he would have changed his mind in a few months.

Yes, very true.
Ive seen about 1.5 of the series now and Im sympathizing with Paul a lot. What a talent he has.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2021, 12:05:20 AM »

Loved, loved loved the camera recording the police in the lobby and Mal basically buying time when he came down.

I think Debbie the receptionist deserved a bonus too. Also stalled beautifully.

You gotta hand it to that Mal and Debbie.  They really knew their job.   icon_good
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2021, 12:15:08 AM »

The film quality is interesting. At times brilliantly clear but at others quite fuzzy, like parts of the film were beyond doing much with. The repair work done on the original film is apparent occasionally. Sometimes their faces look smoothed out,  as if computer animation had been used. People more savvy with digital restoring of film will no doubt be able to point out what’s been done.

Moog, it's like Auto-Tune, but for video.  The more correction that's needed, the more artificial it will appear.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 1.046 seconds with 76 queries.