Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yesterday (Spoiler Edition)  (Read 3930 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Yesterday (Spoiler Edition)
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »

I decided to operationalise BLMeanie’s suggestion to have a thread to discuss Yesterday and allow spoilers. So for those who don’t want to know what happens you can avoid it easily. People who just want to leave a general impression or a no spoiler review can still use the previous thread.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Re: Yesterday (Spoiler Edition)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 01:15:55 AM »

I don't know if I want to see this movie yet.  Maybe I don't like the idea behind it.  Well, if I do see it I will write about it here.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 03:23:35 AM »

Ok. The key spoiler is obviously the appearance of an old John Lennon when Jack finds him living a simple life with his art in a seaside cottage. This scene has divided reviewers and fans I’ve heard speak of it.

I really liked this scene and think it’s the heart of the movie.  For one, he looks like you’d think an older John would. A little stereotypical with the granny glasses but it’s understandable they’d want that visual cue. The best thing is that they don’t go for easy caricatures of him for cheap laughs. (Nothing about having a mate called Paul who died in a car crash for example or having him speaking in obvious Lennonisms). Robert Carlyle, in an uncredited role, is convincing as a normal older guy who looks like he’s had an interesting if unheralded life. The reference to his sailing is one for fans. As is the wooden boat they sit on with the word Imagine on it. This is the hinge scene which helps Jack make his decision to eschew fame. So it’s crucial to the movie rather than being a gratuitous sop to fans. All we Beatle fans surely found this part moving. I’m wondering if there will be more Easter eggs on more viewings.

Interestingly John makes reference to marrying the love of his life but there’s no clue given to who that was. Perhaps an exercise in diplomacy on the writers part.

The other key spoiler (and a minor twist; I’ve seen reference to the Lennon scene as a twist but to me it’s just a surprise) is the two people who clearly recognise the songs and come to confront Jack before his launch performance. This was a touching scene. You expected denunciations and threats but having them simply express gratitude to him for keeping the Beatles music alive was a bit of a master stroke. The woman’s clear love of Beatles music and conviction that the world is a better place for having it also is the other element that prompts Jack to make his final decision of what to do.

In the end Jack’s decision to abandon fame and simply give the Beatles music to the world for free was almost the only satisfactory ending. Even if I didn’t see it coming.

The part in the trailer where Paul and Ringo’s feet are seen coming out on stage turning out to be Jack’s guilty dream was a bit cheeky.

I think this was a fun movie that could have been better. The love story is weak and unconvincing and the finale where Jack declares his love to Ellie at Wembley is way OTT. Much too Love Actually. Richard Curtis is much too keen on big gesture scenes. A more low-key and better written romance sub-plot could have added depth to the movie. I’m thinking something more like the recent version of Walter Mitty or Stranger Than Fiction. As it is it’s what you tolerate to get to the more interesting musical parts.

But Jack’s journey from taking the opportunity presented to deciding he simply can’t take credit for Beatle songs is pretty convincing. And the two scenes described above fit well in getting him to that conclusion.

Perhaps the film could also have benefited from a few more things here and there to show what we would have lost if the Beatles had never existed. Since the Beatles had influences outside of just the music.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »

wow, easter egg for sure, I missed that the wood boat said Imagine.  Going again soon with the family this time so I will hopefully see more.

I thought it was going to be Paul he went to see, saw it as more of going to a farm until it was obvious that it was the place by the sea, then I assumed John.  Thought it was well done.  Wouldn't Jack have asked him - "didn't you play in a band a long time ago" or something along those lines?

The two others that could remember the Beatles, didn't they heckle him in the press conference?  That led us to believe they were going to be trouble when they came to the back room.  How/where would they have gotten the yellow submarine???

From the dream sequence, we never got the writing of Something, shame, in the trailer that was a nice version too.

In the end, no pun, I don't get the decision to not continue touring, other than staying home with Ellie.  He released what already had been recorded out to the public (lawsuits, hello) but other than Ellie and the two other rememberers, who really understood him saying blah blah blah the Beatles blah blah blah.  Nobody would think too much of it. 

He could still have his cake and eat it, no?

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 03:01:46 PM »

Well, now, I really want to see this movie!
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 04:06:12 PM »

You read my mind blmeanie! I thought a spoiler thread was in order, too. Thanks for launching it Moog. I have things to say.  ;D

As I mentioned before, I wasn’t sure how much I liked the movie early on. Jack’s first inkling that all was not well in the Beatles universe came as his When I’m 64 reference fell flat, yet he was struggling to remember songs that most lyric-dropping fans would surely know. I guess we can blame the shock he was going through. LOL

My first truly emotional connection with the story came at the moment Jack explodes with joy upon learning he is not the only one who remembers. Until then, I hadn’t fully considered how heartbreaking it would be to have no one that shared my bigger than average love for The Beatles. No matter how well he communicated their songs, it just wouldn’t be the same without fellow Beatle People. I guess the other male fan’s Yellow Submarine somehow survived. Or maybe he was feverishly working on the collectible end of the rebeatlization effort.

I didn’t notice the name of the boat either. That was probably a good thing. I also wondered who John’s wife turned out to be and liked that we were given free reign on that point.

I believe that in his role a teacher Jack was doing more to keep the Beatles alive than he probably could have by touring. We see that as he leads his students in a joyful rendition of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da...life goes on. That was one of my favorite parts. I see a great future for him as a hot commodity at teacher in service days, teaching educators the songs so that they can help pass them on to the next generation. It would certainly be better than some of the boring ones I sat through when I was a teacher!

On a smaller, more personal note, when his mom brought Jack a Pepsi and he realized that Coke no longer existed, I just knew that my daughter was looking at me. She knows that losing Coca Cola on top of The Beatles would really do me in!

I’m also looking forward to watching this again, especially now that I like it.  ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 11:11:59 PM »

From the dream sequence, we never got the writing of Something, shame, in the trailer that was a nice version too.

In the end, no pun, I don't get the decision to not continue touring, other than staying home with Ellie.  He released what already had been recorded out to the public (lawsuits, hello) but other than Ellie and the two other rememberers, who really understood him saying blah blah blah the Beatles blah blah blah.  Nobody would think too much of it. 

He could still have his cake and eat it, no?

Well yes. In real life I’m sure that’s what someone would have done. But these films are really morality plays. He had to choose between love and fame. So of course he chose love. In reality it’s never so black and white.

She could actually be criticised for making it that way. She basically told him he had to be back in London with her if he wanted her. A bit of a harsh choice she forced on  him. Now in real life when they’re both retired schoolteachers he’d be grumpily reminding her that he could have been living in a mansion with flash cars if it weren’t for her.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 02:08:38 AM »

The two others that could remember the Beatles, didn't they heckle him in the press conference?  That led us to believe they were going to be trouble when they came to the back room.  How/where would they have gotten the yellow submarine???

It certainly sounded like that. Although in retrospect it was a bit unclear what they were shouting. Have to check if I see it again. I saw some reference to him making the yellow submarine himself or something. Seems a curious thing to do of all the ways you could commemorate their memory but whatever floats his boat I guess.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 08:39:57 PM »

When I heard of the films story, I had a vision of an ending.

Jack wrestles on whether to continue taking the credit for the songs & whether to unleash 'Hey Jude' to the world at a David Frost type TV chat show. 

At the chat show, he sits at the piano Paul McCartney esq, still unsure. Eventually he looks at the camera & sings the songs first two words. There is then a 'Let it Be' esq freeze frame as the film ends.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 11:55:55 PM »

Why was my post deted?l
l

KelMar

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 12:26:58 AM »

I don't know what could have happened, Kathy. I checked the moderator log and there is no record of any of us removing a post from you. Can you try posting something again?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 01:10:35 AM »

My first truly emotional connection with the story came at the moment Jack explodes with joy upon learning he is not the only one who remembers. Until then, I hadn’t fully considered how heartbreaking it would be to have no one that shared my bigger than average love for The Beatles. No matter how well he communicated their songs, it just wouldn’t be the same without fellow Beatle People. I guess the other male fan’s Yellow Submarine somehow survived. Or maybe he was feverishly working on the collectible end of the rebeatlization effort.

Yes mine too. As I said in my introductory post to the forum, some of my earliest memories are of the Beatles.  And they more than any other artist are what made me want to be musician. Waking up to find they didn’t exist anymore would be like having a bit of life ripped away. Especially since I’m a bit past using their songs to create a global music career  ;).

Although, managing an act using their songs .... glassesslip

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 04:10:55 AM »

Yes mine too. As I said in my introductory post to the forum, some of my earliest memories are of the Beatles.  And they more than any other artist are what made me want to be musician. Waking up to find they didn’t exist anymore would be like having a bit of life ripped away. Especially since I’m a bit past using their songs to create a global music career  ;).

Although, managing an act using their songs .... glassesslip

I remember when you came aboard and told us that. It's amazing what an influence those older siblings can be! I was the youngest but I became an aunt when I was eight. My niece finally confessed a few years ago that she used to play my records when I was away at college. I was pleased to know that she liked them.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »

It's a film about a world where The Beatles don't exist and crowds go about their business without any knowledge of them.
It's a horror movie with zombies.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 09:06:21 PM »

I saw it on Saturday I enjoyed it

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »

saw an article that it has reached $100M and interestingly that they paid $10M for use of the songs.

I've never seen how much it costs to acquire rights to songs for movies, this is interesting to me.

https://movies.mxdwn.com/news/beatles-inspired-yesterday-reaches-100-million-mark-at-box-office/

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 06:53:52 PM »

I really liked this movie. 3.5 out of 5 stars. I saw it in theaters and once at home and I'm sure I'll get it from the library or something multiple times down the road in my life. I felt like it was missing something though. Not sure what! The end just seemed too grand and cliche. But I can't think of any other way it could end. So I don't know. Maybe somehow ending it with the John scene would've been great. But of course they'd have to write the screenplay differently. I feel ending it that way would bring it to a nice closing. I do love how that scene was in there. A girl in front of me in the theater gasped when it was John answering the door and she cried! So they did a good job making him alive and believable. We got a taste of what it'd be like if he was still here today.  :'(

Other than the John scene, some of my favorite parts were him playing Yesterday for the first time, googling the Beatles on his computer, playing Let It Be to his parents (so funny yet somehow touching, brought tears to my eyes when I saw it in the preview back in February), recording She Loves You at Tracks on the Tracks, Ed Sheeran's touched face while listening to The Long and Winding Road, and some other scenes I can't think of right now.

I thought it had the perfect amount of humor in it. It wasn't crappy and forced modern humor either. His roadie and his dad were the funniest lol. He didn't even know Ed Sheeran was in his kitchen.

One big complaint is how fast he thought of capitalizing on their songs. Like he literally thought of the idea right after discovering they didn't exist. They should've drawn that out a bit longer. It would've added more meaning and been more realistic. They rushed that.

I liked the song selection but I wish there would've been some more songs in there that are somewhat unknown to the public, rather than just #1 hits etc. I would've loved to see And I Love Her (it was written on one of the sticky notes in his room along with a ton of other songs we never hear).

Just thought of something that would've been a nice touch. They could've made Ellie's name Michelle or something. That way it would've seemed like he wrote Michelle for her and she would've been touched by it. Now I'm just rambling, lol.

I also realize now how many Beatles lyric references I happened to type in this post unintentionally, hah.

-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 12:04:56 AM »

Maniac - I've watched it a couple of times since getting the dvd for my birthday and how did you like "The long and winding road"?

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 02:02:15 PM »

blmeanie - I thought it was a pretty touching scene. I've never been a huge fan of that song, but I did like the scene. The actor did a good job playing/singing it.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »

maniac- I too have never been a huge fan of The Long and Winding Road.  I do appreciate it but it leaves me on the edge of wanting something more/else, can't explain it.  I do find it interesting that more than a few people consider it the best Beatle song, I have seen that sentiment over the years reasonably often. 

I thought the lead did well with most of the songs they showed except the way they wrote his take on Help, I get it in the story but didn't like that take.  His singing of Something that ended up on the cutting room floor was very good and included in the extras on the dvd.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 2.865 seconds with 75 queries.