Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 90802 times)

KelMar

Re: Books
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:53 AM »

I just ordered The Great Gatsby, another classic that I'm ashamed to say I haven't read yet. Looking forward to it.  icon_good

Until I read The Great Gatsby I didn't think it was possible to love a book when I couldn't stand most of the characters. It's a magnificent story though. The 1974 movie version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow was also very good. As I read the book I couldn't wait to see it come to life. What an interesting period in history.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2016, 02:45:55 AM »

I finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird the same day I bought it, I couldn't put it down but at the same time I didn't want it to end. It was wonderful and even made me shed a few tears.

I'm so glad you liked it. I love when a book is so good it's hard to put down.

Maggie0819

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #322 on: May 11, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »

Until I read The Great Gatsby I didn't think it was possible to love a book when I couldn't stand most of the characters. It's a magnificent story though. The 1974 movie version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow was also very good. As I read the book I couldn't wait to see it come to life. What an interesting period in history.

Haven't seen any of the movie versions of The Great Gatsby yet so I have no idea how it's gonna end.  ha2ha

I'm so glad you liked it. I love when a book is so good it's hard to put down.

Same here, it doesn't happen that often so it's wonderful when it does.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2016, 02:11:50 AM »

The Great Gatsby was assigned high school reading for me.  I read the first couple of chapters and closed the book for good.  I wasn't interested in reading about Long Island decadence in the 1920s when there was a war raging in Viet Nam.  When called upon in class to answer a question about the plot, I answered "I don't know."  When asked if I read the book I answered "The book was so boring, I didn't bother to read it."  I guess my teacher agreed with me as she asked me to choose another book to read in its place and to let her know the next day what I chose.

The next day I told her that I would be reading Catch 22 and she smiled.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:52 AM »

That's some catch, that Catch 22.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2016, 03:13:19 AM »

The Great Gatsby was assigned high school reading for me.  I read the first couple of chapters and closed the book for good.  I wasn't interested in reading about Long Island decadence in the 1920s when there was a war raging in Viet Nam.  When called upon in class to answer a question about the plot, I answered "I don't know."  When asked if I read the book I answered "The book was so boring, I didn't bother to read it."  I guess my teacher agreed with me as she asked me to choose another book to read in its place and to let her know the next day what I chose.

The next day I told her that I would be reading Catch 22 and she smiled.

Good for you, Barry; I admire your reasoning there. The Great Gatsby was assigned high school reading for me, too, but it was the 80s -- a vastly different era indeed.

(I had to smile about your reply to the teacher about the book being boring; I felt the same way about The Grapes of Wrath, which I detested and never finished, although I cranked out a paper on it.)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2016, 04:11:18 AM »

While I can certainly see why you felt that way Barry I think it's too bad your teacher didn't encourage you to read it.

Just because an author reaches "acclaimed" status doesn't mean all his works will achieve universal appeal.  I share Kathleen's sentiments about The Grapes of Wrath but I enjoyed reading John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.  The "era" that the assignment was given me also was a factor. 

I think my teacher was wise in recognizing the times in which we lived and refrained from scolding me for such a flippant remark.  This was certainly evident the next day when she quietly smiled when I told her which book I had chosen.  She showed a level of maturity, not usually evident amongst her peers, by handling the matter the way she did.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2016, 05:48:32 AM »

Thanks, Barry, I added Catch-22 to my list of books to read. I didn't know Joseph Heller.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »

I never read The Grapes Of Wrath, but the film version is a real classic. Probably up in my all-time top ten (or twenty).

:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »

I never read The Grapes Of Wrath, but the film version is a real classic. Probably up in my all-time top ten (or twenty).

It is a great film. I thought the book was a lot more depressing than the movie. I was glad I read it because it's good to remember those people and their struggles but I was also glad when I finished it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »

Kelley, you've touched on my guilt now; I've always felt a bit bad about my dislike for The Grapes of Wrath because I do sympathize with the plight of families who struggled because of the Dust Bowl. Nevertheless, it bored me to tears. I vastly preferred Of Mice and Men.

Now that some of you mentioned how good the movie version of Grapes of Wrath now, maybe I should give it a try. Also, I have been meaning to read Catch-22, so I should really get a copy and do so. I should probably re-read The Great Gatsby, too; my copy is still on my shelf.

KelMar

« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »

Kelley, you've touched on my guilt now; I've always felt a bit bad about my dislike for The Grapes of Wrath because I do sympathize with the plight of families who struggled because of the Dust Bowl. Nevertheless, it bored me to tears. I vastly preferred Of Mice and Men.

Now that some of you mentioned how good the movie version of Grapes of Wrath now, maybe I should give it a try. Also, I have been meaning to read Catch-22, so I should really get a copy and do so. I should probably re-read The Great Gatsby, too; my copy is still on my shelf.

Oh, no Kathy; that wasn't my intention. In fact, I just came back on to say that I can imagine this being a tough book for young people to benefit from. I read it as an adult, when we were homeschooling and I am pretty sure that we only watched the movie. I would be interested to see what your take is on Gatsby now, should you decide to read it again. It did drag but I stuck with it because it was the Big Read selection last year. I showed the film and I wanted to be able to contribute to any discussion of how it compared to the book.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:23:24 PM by In My Life »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »

Oh, no Kathy; that wasn't my intention.

I'm the one who should apologize, Kelley; I worded that poorly. I just meant to say something I should have included in my original post about The Grapes of Wrath: that I've always felt a bit guilty that by refusing to read it in high school I was disrespecting the plight of the families of that era. (I really did find it boring, though!)

I'll have to try to find The Great Gatsby. I'm sure I have it. On the other hand, I thought I had kept Things Fall Apart(Chinua Achebe), which my daughters recently had to read, and I couldn't find it. It must have gotten misplaced during one of our many moves. (Because of my husband's job, during the tenure of our marriage we bought and sold 5 houses!)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #333 on: May 12, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »

Hmm, couldn't find it, but I did find my copy of The Old Man and the Sea:)

Haven't seen any of the movie versions of The Great Gatsby yet so I have no idea how it's gonna end.  ha2ha

That's good! A character on a TV show here in the States ("The Middle") gave away the ending to Of Mice and Men just as my daughters were starting to read it, and I was really annoyed.

KelMar

« Reply #334 on: May 12, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

I'm the one who should apologize, Kelley; I worded that poorly.

No apology necessary, Kathy.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:09:41 AM by In My Life »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: May 13, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »

Thanks, Barry, I added Catch-22 to my list of books to read. I didn't know Joseph Heller.

It's a good book, Dmitry.  You'll not only enjoy Joseph Heller's take on war but his take on life also.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: May 13, 2016, 01:03:22 AM »

No need to feel guilty, Kathleen.  It's a boring novel about an unfortunate and desperate time in United States history.  The plight of those who suffered is a distinct entity apart from the novel.  Maybe Steinbeck should have stuck to novellas like Of Mice and Men.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: May 13, 2016, 01:12:21 AM »

I have been meaning to read Catch-22, so I should really get a copy and do so.

You'll like it too, Kathleen.

I should probably re-read The Great Gatsby, too; my copy is still on my shelf.

Hmm, couldn't find it, but I did find my copy of The Old Man and the Sea:)

Now there's a great novel!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #338 on: May 14, 2016, 02:33:24 AM »

Long before I read Of Mice and Men I saw Of Fox and Hounds 

<a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37ewa_of-fox-and-hounds_shortfilms" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37ewa_of-fox-and-hounds_shortfilms</a>

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »

Of Mice and Men

http://youtu.be/s5gzBJlFV8s
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Page created in 0.964 seconds with 77 queries.