News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 90800 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Books
« Reply #400 on: September 10, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »

This is the only horror movie scene that came close to frightening me...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTyA-v4mnUc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTyA-v4mnUc</a>

I found it more creepy than scary.  But it was a good piece of screenwriting.   icon_good
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #401 on: September 10, 2017, 07:21:56 PM »

This is the only horror movie scene that came close to frightening me...

Ew; that is pretty creepy, Barry. I've seen The Exorcist, but I don't recall that particular scene. (The book is great, too.)

I usually watch movies just for the jump scares; they don't terrify me -- except maybe The Exorcist, which is based on a true story.

In regard to IT; I read that book when I was on a spur-of-the-moment trip to Florida (down from New York) with a friend. We met up with her boyfriend and some other pals and headed out to their beachfront house on Florida's west coast. I bought IT at a mall before we headed to the beach, and it's a good thing! On New Year's Eve we did some drinking but then they all started to take LSD. Thank goodness I had the book. I spent the rest of the night in my room, reading. Fortunately, it's a long book. #geek

KelMar

« Reply #402 on: September 11, 2017, 02:41:49 AM »

^^^
Wow, Kathy! I think you made a good choice, indulging in something scary that could be ended by simply closing a book.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #403 on: September 11, 2017, 04:03:45 AM »

Ew; that is pretty creepy, Barry. I've seen The Exorcist, but I don't recall that particular scene. (The book is great, too.)

Kathleen, on his way to the MacNeil house for the first time, a bum in the subway begs money from Father Karras saying: "Can you help an old alter boy, father?"  Father Karras just passes him by.  Later on, the possessed Regan repeats what the bum said in his voice (the video clip I posted).  Creepy, huh? 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: September 11, 2017, 04:31:23 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkIqFK3KoZ4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkIqFK3KoZ4</a>

Yeah, I took this girl Mindy to see The Exorcist when it was first run in 1973.  We sat there laughing all through the movie.  And people were passing out all over the place.  When Regan repeated what the bum said, we turned to each other and said in unison: "sh*t!"  Then we continued laughing for the rest of the movie.

Mindy was pretty cool.

KelMar

« Reply #405 on: September 11, 2017, 05:00:11 AM »

My dad used to travel a lot for business and he came home one time talking about the movie he'd seen that scared the hell out of him. LOL I always thought he watched it on the airplane but I wonder if I remembered that part wrong. I can't imagine that being shown under those circumstances.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #406 on: September 11, 2017, 05:12:53 AM »

^

That's the perfect place to show The Exorcist.  Airplanes have convenient vomit bags in the pouches in front of you.   ;D

KelMar

« Reply #407 on: September 11, 2017, 05:28:28 AM »

Yeah, the barf bags would come in handy for some. But anyone who wanted to leave, like some of those people in the reactions video did, would be out of luck!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #408 on: September 11, 2017, 05:32:42 AM »

There are emergency escape instruction cards in those pouches too.

KelMar

« Reply #409 on: September 11, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »

And parachutes?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #410 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »

Wow, Kathy! I think you made a good choice, indulging in something scary that could be ended by simply closing a book.

Yes; I was really glad I had the book with me! I was happy to shut the door and let them all hallucinate while I read.  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #411 on: September 13, 2017, 02:38:13 AM »

And parachutes?

No, just life vests...under the seats.

KelMar

« Reply #412 on: September 13, 2017, 05:29:24 AM »

Yes; I was really glad I had the book with me! I was happy to shut the door and let them all hallucinate while I read.  ;D

ha2ha Yes, we in the library profession recommend books as the safer way to trip.

KelMar

« Reply #413 on: September 13, 2017, 05:10:46 PM »

No, just life vests...under the seats.

Then I guess all they could do was assume the crash position.

https://youtu.be/0FIleqKFhqs

;D

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #414 on: September 19, 2017, 06:41:46 AM »

To say Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948 is amazing, what a mind he had.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #415 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »

I promised my self when I retired I would read the BBC top 100 classic books

Im now reading George Orwels classic....... 1984

Up to part 2 now, cant put it down, brilliant descriptive writing. (I cant stop relating it to North Korea)  ???

To say Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948 is amazing, what a mind he had.

Kev, you've learned that George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four is relevant even today.  I first read the novel in 1965 and it was sure timely then.

Nineteen Eighty-Four was written during the early Cold War years and Stalin's regime.  A lot of the dystopian agencies were based on what existed in the USSR at the time, eg. Thought Police was the Soviet NKVD.

I still have my old copy of the book.  It's time for a re-read.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #416 on: September 19, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »

Kev, you've learned that George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four is relevant even today.  I first read the novel in 1965 and it was sure timely then.

Nineteen Eighty-Four was written during the early Cold War years and Stalin's regime.  A lot of the dystopian agencies were based on what existed in the USSR at the time, eg. Thought Police was the Soviet NKVD.

I still have my old copy of the book.  It's time for a re-read.

It is a bit Stalinist, but things like the new language Newspeak are extremely creepy.

For those who havent read it..
NewSpeak is a language being developed by the Party during the events of 1984. It is based on English, but is heavily simplified, removing both synonyms and antonyms: brilliant, amazing, wonderful, fantastic, awful, terrible, horrible and many others are condensed into good, plusgood, doubleplusgood, ungood, plusungood, and doubleplusungood. Its role is to narrow the range of thought. As thought can only happen with words, fewer words with simpler meanings and less of a range produce more concise thoughts, allowing the Party to have more control over its members.

Things like nursery rhyme's have disappeared.
"Oranges and Lemons" is an English nursery rhyme. It consists of a semi-nonsensical conversation between the bells of various London churches. In the novel, Winston reconstructs it by hearing fragments from various Londoners. In Nineteen Eighty-Four, it serves as an example of the eradication of shared culture, and is foreshadowed as being lost forever after the final few people who remember it die.

"Oranges and lemons,"
Say the bells of St. Clement's.
"You owe me five farthings,"
Say the bells of St. Martin's.
"When will you pay me?"
Say the bells of Old Bailey.
"When I grow rich,"
Say the bells of Shoreditch.
Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #417 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »

Ironically, I read it in 1984, in high school.  ;)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #418 on: September 19, 2017, 11:05:38 PM »

Ironically, I read it in 1984, in high school.  ;)

He got the title from reversing the numbers, ie 1948 became 1984

We did the dreaded Shakespeare in school.  :o
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #419 on: September 20, 2017, 12:15:06 AM »

We did the dreaded Shakespeare in school.  :o

You wouldn't have felt that way if you studied Shakespeare the way I did, Kev.  Sure, we read the plays but we also got to see them acted out at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Connecticut...

...a recreation of the Globe Theater where Shakespeare's plays were first performed.

It's good to see his plays acted out.  One can appreciate the iambic pentameter when seeing his plays performed.

No, Marlon Brando didn't play Mark Anthony at Stratford, but look at his expression after his speech, where he feigned weeping over Caesar's body, incites the crowd to riot...

Now let it work.  Mischief, thou art afoot.  Take thou what course thou wilt!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Page created in 0.967 seconds with 74 queries.