Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Perfection in music  (Read 7650 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Perfection in music
« on: January 28, 2016, 02:33:44 AM »

Sometimes musical perfection is achieved, of course this is subjective (as is all art) but I just wanted to share 3 examples of this, of my opinion......when things are 'just' right

1) Ronny Spectre's voice here is so emotive, sad and pleading, its wonderful, and perfect

http://youtu.be/i-bcn6Rwn44

2) Miles Davis trumpet comes in bang on cue (at 1:30), after the tension built in the opening bass phrases, Miles just brings it down to earth with a very cool solo, but its that initial octave drop he plays that nails it...........this album was made very quickly, these guys knew their stuff,

http://youtu.be/DEC8nqT6Rrk

3) Paul McCartneys voice on the opening lines of their great album Sgt Pepper  'It Was 20 Years Ago Today' .............the tone and veracity of his voice is perfect, some forced distortion but not too much, not screamed but a hard 'rock' voice...........wonderful singing.

<a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1qcgp_sgt-pepper-s-lonely-hearts-club-ban_music" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1qcgp_sgt-pepper-s-lonely-hearts-club-ban_music</a>

What are your selections?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:42:32 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Perfection in music
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:21:17 AM »

Anything Karen Carpenter sang was pitch-perfect and sheer perfection...

http://youtu.be/__VQX2Xn7tI
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:26:09 AM »

There was no Auto-Tune in 1975...

http://youtu.be/ooPy8tX3h94

I love her voice!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:22:22 AM »

I find the opening verse of A Day in the Life does it for me. The guitar and piano intro followed by John's eerie I heard the news today ...

Fritz Wunderlich, the German tenor, had amazing breath control. I always thought his version of Mozarts Il Mio Tesoro (although sung in German) perfectly met the huge demands on a singers lungs. His tone and pitch were like a controlled instrument.

http://youtu.be/UGoDxkGlWBw

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 03:02:17 PM »

Anything Karen Carpenter sang was pitch-perfect and sheer perfection...

http://youtu.be/__VQX2Xn7tI
What a gift!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »

Beautiful guitar playing.  Duane Allman and Richard Betts trading leads.

http://youtu.be/wwyXQn9g40I
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:05 PM »

Sir Edward Elgars Enigma Variations, each variation (movement) described one of his friends, for the variation describing Augustus J. Jaeger he wrote a gorgeous stirring piece called 'Nimrod'...........Nimrod being the legendary biblical hunter, the movement perfectly encompasses great beauty and yet such power.

http://youtu.be/NhnMd1Jl7SA
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 01:51:26 AM »

I love double-tracking instrumentation. Two perfect examples that come to my mind are the final instrumental parts of these songs:

"A House Is Not A Motel" (Love, 1967): double-tracking guitar from 2:28

! No longer available

"Time Of The Season" (The Zombies, 1968): double-tracking keyboard from 2:50

! No longer available
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:44 AM »

I've always liked this song, but a week or so ago a bunch of us were partying pretty hard and I threw it on.  Wow.  That band is locked in on this song.  The album credits the Monkees for playing their instruments, but I call bullsh*t.  This has the Wrecking Crew written all over it. Mickey sings the sh*t out of this too.  Some great Scat.  Check out the 3:00 minute mark and how the band brings it down,,,,awesome.  Song blew everybody away that night.

! No longer available

Out of all the music I have heard in my 46 years, I still havent heard a guitar solo as satisfying to my ears as this one.  The song is good, but I wouldnt even consider it one of my favorites (not even from that band), but that damn solo,,,,,.  Its not very technical compared to some of the guitar gurus out there, but I wouldnt change a thing.  I dont know how it could possibly be improved.  Just perfect in my opinion.  Well done Mr. Hayward. (solo at 2:55 mark)

! No longer available

Maybe not perfect music, but an absolutely perfect party song for us.  My best friend Albert and I trade off lyrics in the first part and then everybody sings at the end.  Its an awesome song.  Ceteras bass playing to Kaths screaming lead guitar to Seraphines incredible drumming equals a great party jam and a damn good time.

! No longer available

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 04:11:16 AM »

Out of all the music I have heard in my 46 years, I still havent heard a guitar solo as satisfying to my ears as this one.  The song is good, but I wouldnt even consider it one of my favorites (not even from that band), but that damn solo,,,,,.  Its not very technical compared to some of the guitar gurus out there, but I wouldnt change a thing.  I dont know how it could possibly be improved.  Just perfect in my opinion.  Well done Mr. Hayward. (solo at 2:55 mark)

! No longer available

Todd, I've seen The Moody Blues perform Ride My See Saw live many times, with and without a philharmonic orchestra.  Justin Hayward's live guitar solo is always spectacular.

I was at this club show at Caesar's in Atlantic City in 1995...

http://youtu.be/KWRPzaL084M

I was sitting at a table next to the stage about ten feet from Mr. Hayward that night.

When he knows they're being professionally recorded, his guitar solo is much the same...

http://youtu.be/8rX2A1kGHZk

Short and sweet!      icon_good

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »

I prefer 'im'perfection in music (certainly pop music) and, as a consequence, I haven't listened to 'Sgt. Pepper's' for eight years.
In that time I must have heard the first 4 Beatles albums about 100 times each.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:27 PM »

I prefer 'im'perfection in music

Hell, if thats the case, i'll send you a CD of me playing.  After listening to that your head will explode.   ha2ha

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »

I find the opening verse of A Day in the Life does it for me. The guitar and piano intro followed by John's eerie I heard the news today ...

Yes moog Im inclined to agree with you there mate, sublime & captivating

John seems to evoke a dreamy, distant and almost uninterested sleepy quality with his singing, completely opposite to his hard edged voice, Ive often thought that with those opening chords, which were a strange intro for any song, and the mood & voice John used, he changed popular music. Its a massive statement but I actually believe this.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »

Hell, if thats the case, i'll send you a CD of me playing.  After listening to that your head will explode.   ha2ha

I highly doubt that and I'd be willing to take that chance. I like hearing our members that play. I really admire that sort of thing because all I can play is what some else has recorded.  ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

The chorus of Golden Slumbers. Pauls voice nails it. His melody for the whole song is gorgeous.

It sends shivers down what passes for my spine.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 10:47:17 PM »

I have always considered "A Day in the Life" to be a masterpiece of musical perfection.  Out of everything the Beatles created, nothing tops this.  I don't think it is possible.  Everything about it is perfectly assembled.  It's almost as if it were the ultimate legacy of their time as a band.  I don't expect others to agree.  I know that our feelings and reactions to things are all individually subjective.  That is, we see and hear the universe in our own way, sometimes in a unique way, but mostly in a very common way that everyone can relate to.  This song is definitely not for everyone.  Too deep, atmospheric, yearning, even scary, full of tension, suspenseful, anxious, morose, melancholy, quiet yet ending in a single explosive chord.  It's sort of like portending the end of the universe in one big bang.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:51 PM »

I have always considered "A Day in the Life" to be a masterpiece of musical perfection.  Out of everything the Beatles created, nothing tops this.  I don't think it is possible.  Everything about it is perfectly assembled.  It's almost as if it were the ultimate legacy of their time as a band.  I don't expect others to agree.  I know that our feelings and reactions to things are all individually subjective.  That is, we see and hear the universe in our own way, sometimes in a unique way, but mostly in a very common way that everyone can relate to.  This song is definitely not for everyone.  Too deep, atmospheric, yearning, even scary, full of tension, suspenseful, anxious, morose, melancholy, quiet yet ending in a single explosive chord.  It's sort of like portending the end of the universe in one big bang.

The creation of a new genre...............Progressive Rock

directly responsible for other perfection such as this.....

Todd mentioned his fave guitar solo, this track has mine, in fact from 3 minutes 25 seconds in, the whole thing is sublime. All instruments seem to gel perfectly, moog, piano, bass, brilliant drumming from Phil Collins......... leading to that great guitar solo at 6 .30

http://youtu.be/SD5engyVXe0

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »

Progressive rock?
Triffic.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:58 AM »

Progressive rock?
Triffic.

As usual, you add nothing to the discussion beyond your disdain for post-1970s music, which really isn't the topic of this thread.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 11:47:54 PM »

I prefer 'im'perfection in music

Insert a Ringo song here...  ;D
Beatles music gives me Eargasms
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.084 seconds with 90 queries.