Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iranian Election Riots  (Read 5471 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Iranian Election Riots
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »

Quote from: 706
This is the most ignorant thing I've read in a long time. Who the hell do you think you are? People are dying here. But of course it's kevin so I'm not surprised.

Fair enough. People die and I make a remark on what I see as the diplomatic situation and you b*tch about not being able to go on Youtube.
You're right, they deserve better.
I would also add that when I wrote that post no deaths had been reported (though can't with all honesty say this affected what I said.)

don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »

Quote from: 706
"Looks good for us though doesn't it?"
This is the most ignorant thing I've read in a long time. Who the hell do you think you are? People are dying here. But of course it's kevin so I'm not surprised.

I'm sure Kevin's flippancy with his comment was probably meant to relate to the fact that for many years some of us were scared sh*tless that Bush was seriously considering invading Iran. The fact that that is now off the menu due to a) Obama distancing himself, and b) Iran self destrucing all on it's own, is a small source of comfort to us in the west.

Of course we sympathise with the people of Iran who are going through bad times. But don't expect everyone to be fabulously diplomatic and say 'the right thing' all the time.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »

Quote from: 483

I'm sure Kevin's flippancy with his comment was probably meant to relate to the fact that for many years some of us were scared sh*tless that Bush was seriously considering invading Iran. The fact that that is now off the menu due to a) Obama distancing himself, and b) Iran self destrucing all on it's own, is a small source of comfort to us in the west.

Of course we sympathise with the people of Iran who are going through bad times. But don't expect everyone to be fabulously diplomatic and say 'the right thing' all the time.

Assuming one believes blackmath didn't "say 'the right thing'" with her post, perhaps this applies to her as well, given the unimaginably stressful situation I imagine her to be in?

BTW, BM, nice Vulcan mind meld with Kevin there!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »

Quote from: 568

BTW, BM, nice Vulcan mind meld with Kevin there!

Yep that's us. You bin workin' out BM?
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »

Quote from: 185

Yep that's us. You bin workin' out BM?

Are those wrist cuffs on James T? Let's see, sweaty, naked-chested men in restraints, in close contact. Was there a subtext to this show that I just sort of missed when I saw it in the 60s?

"To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before". Hmmm.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, BM and Kevin  ;)!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »

Sh*t. Sorry Alexis - I think I just deleted your post (did modify instead of quote.)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »

^ Amateurs! ;)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »

Sh*t. Sorry Alexis - I think I just deleted your post (did modify instead of quote.)

"Now we see the violence inherent in the system!"

Hmm, that's the 2nd time this week I've typed that Monty Python line in this forum. I wonder if I've had a stroke  :-/
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:46 AM »

Wow, great post. I don't know much about Potemkin/Odessa, but I take your good points all around.

I'm not so sure we want the Iranian government to fall right now. Mousavi's power base isn't really into major societal changes (Rasfanjani is about as establishment as they come). Hopefully something with more potential for real change a little later, but not as catastrophic as the doomsday worst case scenario you allude to, adamzero.

Mousavi the protester is far from Mousavi the candidate. When the protests started, he changed.

but besides which, if this succeeds, which it looks like it will and assuming that Mousavi, Rasfanjani and Mozerati arent killed, Mousavi will become President, Rasfanjani will oust Khemeini and either replace him with Mozerati or disband the Supreme Ayatollah all together and set up a council of Ayatollahs.

Either way, Mousavi and Mozerati will work for a separation of Mosque and State. The country will become far more secular than it is, it may not lose the influence of the Ayatollahs in government completely, but they will have far less power than they did prior to this.

Theres no reason why we should not want to see this succeed. If it does, we'll have a more western-friendly, secular democracy in the middle-east of all places. Iran being more friendly to the West will create a massive power vaccuum in the region because now groups like Hizbollah and Hamas will no longer have the support and funding they got from Iran and could easily lose power. There could very well be a string of uprisings within the region that could create a domino effect.

There really is no reason why we shouldnt root for the protesters.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 11:24:58 AM »

Somewhere (probably Radio 4) I heard an expert chappie saying that most of the world's great social upheavals coincide with population bulges of young males. (1968 being a case in point.)
Put them in the army I say!

well the Iran-Iraq war of the 80s did a lot to destroy a generation. the results of which is a population that 2/3 of which are under the age of 30
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

blackmath

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »

Blackmath, thank you for posting. What are you doing in Iran? I hope you stay safe.

Are you a reporter, or a native Iranian, or ...?

Take care, please.

Thank you. I'm half Iranian and I spend a lot of time here. The situation here is really not THAT bad I mean if you don't want anything to happen to you; you can just stay at home or go out to safe places. The "riot police" doesn't take action unless you say or do something. They suck though. And in these few days nobody demonstrates unless they're out of their minds because the police are everywhere in Tehran. I really don't know how the government can go on with this; people are so p*ssed off.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »

Thank you. I'm half Iranian and I spend a lot of time here. The situation here is really not THAT bad I mean if you don't want anything to happen to you; you can just stay at home or go out to safe places. The "riot police" doesn't take action unless you say or do something. They suck though. And in these few days nobody demonstrates unless they're out of their minds because the police are everywhere in Tehran. I really don't know how the government can go on with this; people are so p*ssed off.

Glad to know you're safe, Blackmath.

Heard on the news today that some leading clerics in the holy city of Qum (sp?) declared the entire election should be nullified. From this end, that sounds huge. From your perspective, what are the practical implications of that? What do you think needs o happen before real change can occur?

If you can't answer, I understand. If that's the case, and if you're able to, just please let us know you're safe!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 3.191 seconds with 61 queries.