Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Anti-Americans  (Read 26064 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Anti-Americans
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

Quote from: 1583
We (as humans) will be the death of this planet:(

Personally I'm convinced that the planet will survive; we humans on the other hand are another matter.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »

Quote from: 1583
Not to put a damper on this thread, but the division that exists on this planet just astounds me :confused: You would swear planets like ours (with prime realestate to house intelligent life) are a dime a dozen in our own solar system.

We (as humans) will be the death of this planet:(

It's reassuring to think that people like Bonzo and his friends are always ready to do their bit to actually bring people together (referencing Bill Harry's thread above)  ;)

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2008, 05:18:05 AM »

Quote from: 1161

Personally I'm convinced that the planet will survive; we humans on the other hand are another matter.

Uh yeah. The earth has survived through much worse than whatever we can throw at it. It's pretty arrogant of us to think we'll be the ones to destroy it! It'll be here long after the human race has annihilated themselves.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »

Quote from: 216

Uh yeah. The earth has survived through much worse than whatever we can throw at it. It's pretty arrogant of us to think we'll be the ones to destroy it! It'll be here long after the human race has annihilated themselves.

If the human race annihilates itself: I'm not quite sold on that proposition, either, despite the best efforts of a not small number of lunatics and a long tradition of same.

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »

to start a new thread of interest, most normal people have many stereotypes for Americans,yet at the same time we know that 55%of Americans don't fit into one of these stereotypes.the most common stereotype is "the bush/ palin voting hillbilly evangelical Christian racist warmonger". i would just ignore these anti Americans, who probably make up about 5% of the UK population. i think their Anti us perception stems from the INCORRECT belief that less well educated rural/small town Americans are awful at geography outside their own borders, and that they have little knowledge of foreign cultures.anti Americans seem to believe that "the bush/ palin voting hillbilly evangelical Christian racist warmonger" believes all non americans are a national stereotype . MOST RATIONAL BRITISH PEOPLE DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLATANT STEREOTYPING. HONEST!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2008, 10:15:55 PM »

All stereotypes are false and misleading.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2008, 11:57:05 PM »

Quote from: 1588
the most common stereotype is "the bush/ palin voting hillbilly evangelical Christian racist warmonger".

That's the most common stereotype? Good lord. How is is that I've never met one person like that in my entire life? I've never even known a person who owned a gun much less be the type who loves war. I've met a couple of born agains, but they were very loving and completely harmless. As for the Bush/Palin thing, I have a few members in my family who will be voting for them unfortunately, but they're far from hillbillys. They're just misguided. Of course that's what they think of me too, but oh well.  :-/

The stereotype that annoys me most is the one where we're all fat and stupid. Or that we're too dumb to understand the oh so complex humor of the British. I mean, come on. I've gotten to the point where I laugh at these insults now. It was either that or quit YouTube and IMDB because man are there a lot of anti-American British people on those boards. And they get VERY nasty over absolutely nothing. Which I find odd.

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2008, 12:05:48 AM »

im not anti american.i just hate Bush.not all brits are anti.are we being stereotyped?ive talked to alot of americans on various forums and found them great.but maybe,thats cause we have something in common,ie beatles.i dont know.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »

Quote from: 1610
im not anti american.i just hate Bush.not all brits are anti.are we being stereotyped?ive talked to alot of americans on various forums and found them great.but maybe,thats cause we have something in common,ie beatles.i dont know.

I'm not saying all are at all! I'm saying there are A LOT of them on those two forums. Don't know exactly why that is though.

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2008, 12:21:36 AM »

No,not sure myself.But,lets all not get carried away on here.Intelligent discussion is fine.General slagging off is not.And thats not aimed at you Sandra,or anyone in particular.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2008, 12:25:37 AM »

No,not sure myself.But,lets all not get carried away on here.Intelligent discussion is fine.General slagging off is not.And thats not aimed at you Sandra,or anyone in particular.

This forum is pretty good at not getting carried away. Everyone here is usually very nice and can discuss these things without freaking out. So refreshing. Of course there are the occasional "bad eggs" every now and then, but it keeps it lively I guess!  :)

Anyway, it used to bum me out so much because the Brits are so cool and it was depressing finding out that there was this sort of hatred and disgust for Americans. But of course you realize it's only a small percentage and they're just the ones that happened to be most vocal on those particular sites. At least that's what I keep telling myself.  ;) I suppose this goes for the rest of the world too. We're not too popular at the moment. I'm nervous about the election. I can only imagine what's gonna be thought of us if McCain wins!  ??)

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »

Yeah,very true.I havent been on the forum long enough to witness anyone being nasty,but of course,this could happen on any forum,anywhere.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2008, 12:32:23 PM »

This a sketch from a show called Harry and paul. I think it's quite an affectionate look at how Brits view americans (and takes as much p*ss out of english reserve as it does out of percieved american openess and naivity (sp) )
Z4er0rZjB0Y
don't follow leaders

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2008, 01:13:51 PM »

Quote from: 216
As for the Bush/Palin thing, I have a few members in my family who will be voting for them.

I have some Republican relatives as well. Essentially they think that people are better off looking after themselves than having government (try) to do it for them. The Sarah Palin/evangelical wing of the Republican Party worries them only slightly less than Barney Frank, though.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »

It`s just that Brits are much cuter, much more sophisticated, and I`ve seen a lot more handsome people in London than in Washington (especially) and in New York. Where are all those good-looking Americans? Maybe on the West Coast? Maybe they prefer to stay home and attend only closed parties? That`s why we don`t see them. And they say it`s very hard to get into a certain community in the USA. The higher the social class is the harder for a person to get accepted there even if he meets the requirements. Is it true?

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »

Jane,thats what i like to hear.About the Brits.We do have a big class thing here.Some people just dont want to know.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2008, 01:37:59 AM »

Quote from: 185
This a sketch from a show called Harry and paul. I think it's quite an affectionate look at how Brits view americans (and takes as much p*ss out of english reserve as it does out of percieved american openess and naivity (sp) )
Z4er0rZjB0Y

I don't perceive the warm fuzzy feelings of affection here, looks like just a typical example of smug stereotyping to me! Kind of makes the point Sandra did, in my mind (not to make any interpretations on her behalf)  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »

Jane,thats what i like to hear.About the Brits.We do have a big class thing here.Some people just dont want to know.

Where is class division more distinct, in the USA or in Britain? We are told that the US society is rich, Americans` incomes are 20-30 percent above those in Europe or Japan. But it is also the most unequal concerning the richest part of society and the poorest. The gap between the richest and the poorest in Europe is narrower.

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »

i dont know a great deal about the class thing in the States,but i can imagine what you say is true,jane.its bad enough in the UK,but if its worse ,across the pond,and it sounds like it is,then its BAD.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2008, 01:42:36 AM »

Quote from: 185
Z4er0rZjB0Y

That's pretty funny. "Good luck with being gay Peter!" Heh. I think it's more a stereotype of Mid-Westerners or senior citizens though. But boy did they belabor the point! I agree though, we do say "how are you" quite a lot. Every time I pass someone at work that's pretty much the required greeting. How come they forgot to put in a couple dozen "have a nice days" in there?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 83 queries.