Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Geoff Emerick  (Read 30346 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Geoff Emerick
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »

I havent got that far yet !

Im only up to Pepper, main points that leap out;

Johns personality has changed, he is now laid back, submissive, aggreable and generally easy to get on with, unlike the earlier impatient John who could bite your head off. (Drugs?)

Paul is the worker bee, it was during Pepper he started adding his bass lines last, so some days after the others left at 1 am or so he would stay to perfect his bass lines till dawn, keeping Geoff and Richard Lush there all night, George Martin would leave around midnight - tired

Paul also took advantage of Johns new attitude and become default Musical director, arranger, artistic developer of idea's and even possible producer.

Ringo sat in the corner with Mal & Neil playing chess and brewing tea

George seemed disinterested in the whole project and only became interested when working on WYAWY

That's pretty consistent with stuff from anthology and other bios. John himself admitted he was taking a back seat. Came up with some terrific stuff for it though.

Though the image of him being docilely drugged doesn't always gel with interviews with him around that time. There's that quick one where he's caught going into abbey road. He's friendly lucid and positive. Talking about how he thinks the Beatles get along well and will probably always do stuff together.

The last gasp of pre Yoko John.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2014, 12:28:07 AM »

ftp://
Well hurry it up Kev!  We like your reviews.   party2

ok seeing as you insist  ;D

Im up to the time of Brians death and the time they were working on songs for MMT and YS, incidentally according to Geoff the boys hated the idea of a cartoon film and wanted nothing to do with it, they threw some songs at it that they deemed were not worthy of other releases, thats why Northern Song and All Together Now ended up on there

Johns new song Across The Universe was supposed to be the B side of Lady Madonna but John didnt like his vocal sound so the song was shelved (apart from it being released on a charity album for WWF) Georges The Inner Light made the B side instead (Georges first song on a single)

It appears Geo Martin was very nonplussed with Johns new song Walrus and rolled his eyes when John demo'd it on acoustic, his words were "What do you expect me to do with that ?"

Geoff didnt like the statement and neither did John, it opened up a kind of riff between the boys and GM, they were all keen to work on it (including Geoff) but GM wasnt, he also hated You Know My Name and was dismissive of it

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2014, 12:38:24 PM »

ok seeing as you insist  ;D

Im up to the time of Brians death and the time they were working on songs for MMT and YS, incidentally according to Geoff the boys hated the idea of a cartoon film and wanted nothing to do with it, they threw some songs at it that they deemed were not worthy of other releases, thats why Northern Song and All Together Now ended up on there

Johns new song Across The Universe was supposed to be the B side of Lady Madonna but John didnt like his vocal sound so the song was shelved (apart from it being released on a charity album for WWF) Georges The Inner Light made the B side instead (Georges first song on a single)

It appears Geo Martin was very nonplussed with Johns new song Walrus and rolled his eyes when John demo'd it on acoustic, his words were "What do you expect me to do with that ?"

Geoff didnt like the statement and neither did John, it opened up a kind of riff between the boys and GM, they were all keen to work on it (including Geoff) but GM wasnt, he also hated You Know My Name and was dismissive of it

George M I think always kept in mind that the Beatles job was to create hit singles. We sometimes forget that, even after their huge success, there were always considerable demands on the Beatles from EMI to keep churning out product. I think GM was always mindful of spending time on things that didn't work toward that goal. I suppose I can see his point with You Know My Name. With I am the Walrus though it turned out to be one of John's best creations. Can't blame George for occasionally getting it wrong.

nimrod

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »

George M I think always kept in mind that the Beatles job was to create hit singles. We sometimes forget that, even after their huge success, there were always considerable demands on the Beatles from EMI to keep churning out product. I think GM was always mindful of spending time on things that didn't work toward that goal. I suppose I can see his point with You Know My Name. With I am the Walrus though it turned out to be one of John's best creations. Can't blame George for occasionally getting it wrong.

Ohh yes I agree, you cant blame him, but the overall outcome here was quite significant, the relationship changed after this, sessions where George wasnt present became more relaxed and even happier, Geoff and Richard were keen to experiment with things like Walrus and things that came after that, I think George made a mistake here, he owed all his mega success to 4 boys from Liverpool (and Brian) and seeing the success they had brought with outlandish stuff like Tomorrow Never Knows he shouldnt have given John short shrift, its interesting that this was a significant day in the relationship, the day John demo'd Walrus.

Its great this book  :)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »

Ohh yes I agree, you cant blame him, but the overall outcome here was quite significant, the relationship changed after this, sessions where George wasnt present became more relaxed and even happier, Geoff and Richard were keen to experiment with things like Walrus and things that came after that, I think George made a mistake here, he owed all his mega success to 4 boys from Liverpool (and Brian) and seeing the success they had brought with outlandish stuff like Tomorrow Never Knows he shouldnt have given John short shrift, its interesting that this was a significant day in the relationship, the day John demo'd Walrus.

Its great this book  :)

True. It's pretty telling that after the Beatles neither John nor George opted to work with GM again.

BLEEN

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »

I've read the book several times, and have forgotten if I've commented on it. I liked it overall, but was very disappointed with how Ringo is treated. The problems GE had with Ringo's personality are fine, that's his experience of it - but he tends to really downplay him as a drummer imo. Ringo didn't even make the cover of the book!

*EDIT*  I've been looking over the book again, and perhaps was a bit hasty about GE on Ringo's drumming. Maybe 'really downplay' wasn't the right choice of words, but I still don't think he receives enough credit for his brilliant playing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:58:36 PM by BLEEN »
The Greatest Band Of All Time
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 46 queries.